Cruise Critic Community
Vampiress88

Easter on board

We are going to be on Ventura over Easter. 

Will there be anything special for Easter? 

My kids really love easter bunny and we have never been away at Easter before, to be honest when I booked I didn’t even think about that this would be during Easter. 

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

We are going to be on Ventura over Easter. 

Will there be anything special for Easter? 

My kids really love easter bunny and we have never been away at Easter before, to be honest when I booked I didn’t even think about that this would be during Easter. 

We never realised it would be school holidays either, I must take more notice in future!!!

Just now, terrierjohn said:

We never realised it would be school holidays either, I must take more notice in future!!!

Yes see we need it in school holiday so perfect for us. 

I do feel for the people without kids as I’m assuming it will be full of us with little ones. Luckily mine this year were amazing and got a lot of compliments for their behaviour but if I was going off majority  of their class mates behaviour all year then I’m already assuming I will hear more tantrums than I normally do per day. 

Kids club might be heaving too. 

Aww well. Least we gonna be in the sun

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have them marked in the Callander as an avoidance tactic. Did this after we were caught out once with the English school holidays, booked in full confidence as the schools here were back but down south was not. Lesson learned 😀

Hi, yes, I am sure there will be.  We are also going to be on Ventura this Easter.  I'm sure there will be hundreds of kids!  We sailed on Britannia last Easter and Kids Club held an Easter Fete in one of the bars where the children could all compete in typical school fete type games and earn points.  My son was 2 and won the Splashers prize, which was a board game and some other little toys.  All children received an Easter Egg too, sized appropriately for their age.  On Ventura the year before the children did an Easter Egg Hunt around the ship with kids club, which was fun too, and also received an egg each.

On a cruise ship during school holidays?? No chance! Like Eglesbrech they are all noted and will be avoided like the plague.

Is it really gonna be that bad? I’m gonna expecting lots of kids but I really hope it isn’t going to be super ridiculous 

Don't get me wrong. You can get well behaved children of course you can but then there is the opposite. In the main it is the parents who couldn't give a monkey's what their children are up to who spoil it for everyone else, that is why I choose to not travel during school holidays.

When we used to do land based hols, made the mistake of going to Sidari(Corfu) during Whit week.

First week was ruined but luckily second week most had gone home.

Never again, no matter whether cruise or land based.

We have always found P&O very good in the way they provided for children and arranged for adults to be able to avoid children. We cruised with our two  from just about walking until out of their teens. Obviously there have been lots of changes throughout that time but we were always happy with the provision. When they were older & no longer used the clubs we hardly knew there were children on board. In all of our time cruising we have only once noticed poor behaviour ( & that was just pre drinking age teens hanging around the prom deck a la shopping parade on housing estate.)

To be honest, we both felt Oriana & more recently Aurora lost a little bit of their atmosphere when they went adult only ( that’s only personal opinion & it’s not only the lack of children but the gap in the demographic left by the absent parents who accompanied the children.) 

Still there are plenty of ships in the fleet to suit all tastes. 

Edited by Ranchi

2 hours ago, Ranchi said:

We have always found P&O very good in the way they provided for children and arranged for adults to be able to avoid children. We cruised with our two  from just about walking until out of their teens. Obviously there have been lots of changes throughout that time but we were always happy with the provision. When they were older & no longer used the clubs we hardly knew there were children on board. In all of our time cruising we have only once noticed poor behaviour ( & that was just pre drinking age teens hanging around the prom deck a la shopping parade on housing estate.)

To be honest, we both felt Oriana & more recently Aurora lost a little bit of their atmosphere when they went adult only ( that’s only personal opinion & it’s not only the lack of children but the gap in the demographic left by the absent parents who accompanied the children.) 

Still there are plenty of ships in the fleet to suit all tastes. 

We sailed on Aurora just before and just after her refit and hardly noticed any difference. 

The families on board were perfectly behaved so when they weren't there it was hardly noticeable... 

Contrary to popular belief, Aurora was not filled with old fogeys after she became adult only, there was a great mix of ages. 

As you say Ranchi, there are always other options. 

Andy

P&O often feature a guest priest or clergyman during Holy Week, for the benefit of those to whom Easter means more than just Easter eggs and the Easter bunny.

We have been onboard at Easter a few times, they may be loads of kids on board but you hardly see them as they at in the kids club.

Last time we saw the younger ones all holding on to a rope with baskets each ( obviously with the kids club leaders)  going on an egg hunt round deck 7. Bless them they were so good one behind the other. 

There has had always been a church service in the theatre, they often have a priest/vicar onboard for Easter as most of the Filopino crew are Catholic if not the Captain or senior officer will conduct the service.

Edited by amajaa

21 hours ago, Denarius said:

P&O often feature a guest priest or clergyman during Holy Week, for the benefit of those to whom Easter means more than just Easter eggs and the Easter bunny.

Yes my daughter and I have attended Good Friday liturgy and Midnight Mass, which really IS at midnight so the crew can attend as a lot of them are Catholics. The year we sailed at Easter there were over 400 crew at the Mass and 37 passengers! My daughter who was only 9 fell asleep before the end, but it was a great experience with a lovely choir from the crew.

And the next day, Easter eggs for all the children.