Bialetti Moka pots

Cameos

Pinocchio memorabilia

Truffled Oil

Wine

Venetian Glass

Carnival Masks

Burano Lace

Pretty much every area of Italy has something nice that would make a good gift.  Happy choosing!

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

Gifts I’ve bought or seen others buy over the years:

Marquetry music boxes

Gloves 

Handbags

Hats

Limoncello

Grappa

Cappucino cups

Bialetti Moka pots

Cameos

Pinocchio memorabilia

Truffled Oil

Wine

Venetian Glass

Carnival Masks

Burano Lace

Pretty much every area of Italy has something nice that would make a good gift.  Happy choosing!

Thanks perfect answer

There are a countless number of items that you can purchase.

While the list provided is extensive there are many more items that I could think of not on the list.

I think a better question might be for any specific items you were thinking of and if you list the ports of call you are visiting you could ask where is an ideal place to buy them.

For example, let's say you wanted a music box.  You could find them in various places in Italy but if you were visiting Sorrento that would be the place where I would recommend looking.

If you wanted wood made from olive wood and listed your ports some places I would recommend over others.

In fact these are two examples of items not on the list above.

Keith

It all depends on where you are visiting.   If going to Florence, hit up the San Lorenzo market and pick up some pretty but cheap scarves (I did this for the women where I worked at one time - I bought matching so we could wear them at work with our uniforms).  Then, go in the Mercato Centrale next to it and find some food goodies to take home (some are packed to go).  

I'm big on food gifts.  In every major place, you are going to find a local goodie.  Be aware of dried porcini - as much as they are fantastic, your luggage will smell like mushrooms for a LOOOOOOONG time.   I come home from Rome with a bag of mixed candies from the shop across the street from my favorite coffee place.  I picked up candy in Barcelona - I also hit up La Boqueria for food gifts.  In Siena, I always pick up some panforte - one of my favorite dessert/snack things.  

You may find some ceramics if you go the Amalfi Coast - you can get little things like spoon holders, drawer pulls.   

Man, I have to make another trip with an empty suitcase... or a cheap trip to Los Angeles or New York City to visit Eataly to stock up on my Italian favorites...

Adding in the replies from another member's similar question which I think might also be helpful. It started with questions for shopping only in Rome, but can be applied to some other cities as well in terms of general categories. There are definitley specific regional specialties, these are best found looking in smaller shops, markets away from the larger, main, glitzy shopping avenue or square and going to more ordinary places. Ask around and get recommendations for where people working in your hotel, or restaurant workers, etc. would go, things like that. Or do the best thing...just wander 😉

I also think that it depends what your itinerary is.

For example, a music box is something we have gotten in the past and would do it when we are in Sorrento but not in many of the other places because the prices are more competitive in Sorrento and a much better selection.

So I would start with you noting your itinerary.

Keith

Are there any particular things I shall bring from Naples? It’s a city my mom always was dreaming about. She has never been there. I want to bring her a gift exactly from Naples…. Jess

5 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

Are there any particular things I shall bring from Naples? It’s a city my mom always was dreaming about. She has never been there. I want to bring her a gift exactly from Naples…. Jess

While Naples is not as much of a shopping mecca for souvenirs as some of the Amalfi Coast and Sorrento, one thing that is fairly unique to Naples are the nativity scenes and figures that populate them. There is one particular street (San Gregorio Armeno) that features shop after shop that create versions in hand-carved wood, clay, and other mediums. You'll find everything from the very traditional almost Renaissance figures of the holy family to such modern party-crashers as various popular footballers, politicians (Obama was a favorite a few years ago), royal family members, etc.  There are also some interesting and unique Christmas ornaments.

Here's a link that includes this and a few other ideas:  https://europeupclose.com/article/10-best-souvenirs-to-bring-home-from-napoli/

Hi Cruisemom42! Thank you! I will obligately check  traditional wooden figures but I guess Christmas ornaments will be the best choice for my mom. She loves such stuff! Thanks!... I just can’t wait!

On 9/14/2019 at 2:44 PM, lisiamc said:

Gifts I’ve bought or seen others buy over the years:

Marquetry music boxes

Gloves 

Handbags

Hats

Limoncello

Grappa

Cappucino cups

Bialetti Moka pots

Cameos

Pinocchio memorabilia

Truffled Oil

Wine

Venetian Glass

Carnival Masks

Burano Lace

Here's an idea that won't require such heavy lifting: ask around for recipes making limoncello (not complicated) or less common but also, um, interesting (read: potent!) orancello, which I would drink after dinner every night in the Emiglia Romana, (almost every night) and make it at home. Perhaps purchase a small-ish glass decanter at one of the simpler kitchenware shops, roll up the recipe written on paper (or better still, make it when you get home) and then bring it as a gift to someone special as a gift. It needn't be a lot, a little goes a long way as it's served in small aperitivo glasses. The color of the orancello itself was quite something too, sort of an umber-ish color? I don't know. Soothing, perhaps sort of like a brandy. I can't recall ever finding it here. 

Well....maybe you could buy that and bring it home instead of making it 😉 It's different. 

We've just finished our cruise. After all, I bought some ceramics: a beautiful plate for my Mom and a bowl for myself. It’s really very beautiful with very bright and sunny colors. It wasn’t expensive. We did Amalfi coast drive and  stopped at a ceramics shop somewhere quite close to Amalfi. It has excellent choice of local ceramics and wasn’t pricey at all. My DH got a bottle of limoncello. I don’t know how he managed to get limoncello in a ceramics shop but he did 🙂

Thank you all for your help!

23 hours ago, CrazyJess said:

We've just finished our cruise. After all, I bought some ceramics: a beautiful plate for my Mom and a bowl for myself. It’s really very beautiful with very bright and sunny colors. It wasn’t expensive. We did Amalfi coast drive and  stopped at a ceramics shop somewhere quite close to Amalfi. It has excellent choice of local ceramics and wasn’t pricey at all. My DH got a bottle of limoncello. I don’t know how he managed to get limoncello in a ceramics shop but he did 🙂

Thank you all for your help!

The owner of the shop might have made their own, or perhaps they had an arrangement with a shopkeeper to cross-sell (legit or not) each other's merch in their respective stores? Ceramics in the wine shop, wine/spirits in the ceramic shop; maybe family members or paesans...who knows. If it was home-made, probably had no tax on it and so under the table, and he cozied up to the proprietor (cool!!) and did the transaction, bet it's yummy! 

So glad you bought ceramics for you and your mom, you'll enjoy them for years to come. And use them! You'll always think of Amalfi whenever you put that bowl on your table. 

Thanks for following up with us on the board to share your shopping report! 🙂