Cruise Critic Community
fyree39

Imagination, 1 September, 4-Day

44 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I'll finish this up since there really isn't too much more to report. In the evenings we liked to sit near the Dream Bar and listen to music. James from NZ was a solo guitarist and really quite talented. We've found quite a few solo musicians have some kind of karaoke back track that's cheesy. James didn't have that.

The next morning was Ensenada. As usual, we didn't get off the ship. See Landlocked01's review for his Ensenada tour if you're interested. It was foggy that morning and the ginormous Mexican flag was never raised while we were there.

That's LandlockedCruiser01. 😉  As @fyree39 pointed out, the Ensenada portion of my review is pretty detailed.

My arrival into Ensenada had some haze too.  It dispersed pretty quickly, and the weather was great for most of the day.  There was a 20-minute shower while we were on the bus between stops, but from what I saw, it didn't seem to faze the locals.

I didn't really enjoy the musicians in the Promenade.  I found their music to be more suited to a swanky jazz club than a lively cruise.  But I absolutely loved the piano bar musician's performance.  It was one of the highlights of my cruise.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:48 AM, fyree39 said:

image.thumb.png.e2e918d4f56a49bc80c116b8cb16319d.png

Great review. Congratulations on the Milestone. Just curious as to why you chose a short 4 day cruise for your 25th. Now on to 50!! 😀

46 minutes ago, mkitchy said:

Great review. Congratulations on the Milestone. Just curious as to why you chose a short 4 day cruise for your 25th. Now on to 50!! 😀

I should be getting the OBC awarded on my Panorama cruise. I certainly didn't get the OBC on this cruise. I'm assuming Carnival will print out the Milestone card on #25 no matter what. If that's not the case, then I've been screwed. 🙂

4 hours ago, fyree39 said:

image.thumb.png.4692f80c35495de14bbd54ef4f3b4937.png

PB&J on toast. What I was craving was the potato chips. People sometimes complain that the snack foods on board are missing something. I'd hazard a guess that what's missing is a salty/crunchy snack like chips or nuts. 

I cruise mostly on Carnival and Royal. When people ask for comparisons, I should mention that we can get bags of chips on Royal ( or 2)...LOL

I do love a salty/crunchy snack also, so I will be bring a few things on my upcoming Splendor B2B.

Edited by crzndeb

40 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I cruise mostly on Carnival and Royal. When people ask for comparisons, I should mention that we can get bags of chips on Royal ( or 2)...LOL

I do love a salty/crunchy snack also, so I will be bring a few things on my upcoming Splendor B2B.

On this note, I have a little tidbit to share. If flying or travelling any long distance, do NOT pack bags of chips in your suitcase.. it will not end. Pringles or other tube style chips are best to bring with you. I speak from experience - an exploded bag of crushed chips scattered throughout one's clothing is not a pleasant surprise on opening luggage. 😒

On 9/14/2019 at 12:46 PM, ObstructedView2 said:

Your cabin door was magnetic??

😜

On 9/14/2019 at 12:50 PM, fyree39 said:

Why, yes! Yes it was!

Maybe metal, but not magnetic.

8 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Maybe metal, but not magnetic.

Hah! Yes, that's what I meant. I suppose one could turn it magnetic if one were to shift some electrons around, but, well, you know what I mean. :classic_rolleyes:

image.thumb.png.95223d736b955e118c6524346e996839.png

image.thumb.png.abc98778aeef5a9a17b0785aa9a565f6.png

Yummy bread!

image.thumb.png.cb004cae2c41a1e503f04a7b672362c7.png

Vegas, baby!  Well, not really.

image.thumb.png.01dd6b09cca2c6a89d9297dd48c2ed2e.png

$10 store. Um, no.  Just no.

image.thumb.png.935cbc8cdc1ba91d0e11b9e39e01f478.png

A model of the Seabourn Pride at the entrance of the Pride MDR. Carnival is not Seabourn. 

image.thumb.png.3bb5c78f1db109d4211efb78b98e8a0e.png

This food sculpture sat atop the case holding the Seabourn Pride model. 

image.thumb.png.a899735fbb9a7fa865700259186ff15f.png

Seagulls used to be a huge problem on the little ships. Some years ago Carnival installed this netting to enclose all outdoor eating areas. The poor seagulls just didn't understand at first. Now they can only sit and stare longingly at the full plates of food. 

image.thumb.png.25ed0d2af65862cc7da9bd60cfe73d4d.png

The end...

image.thumb.png.8e36753907e75aea9227944582dbcd72.png

We did a 4-day on Sunrise for our 25th last month. We didn't do a longer cruise because we had done a b2b on QM2 earlier in the summer, so a long weekend was all we were looking for. We have OBC for our 9-day on Radiance next August.

Cindy, I enjoyed your review - thanks!

Liked the layback review, Cynthia. Brings back memories as have done this 4-dayer many times and always love the "old school" ambiance of these game-changing cruise ships, the Fantasy Class. Have always found them in superb condition, especially for their age. Booked on the PANORAMA in January, but now you've got the juices flowing to sandwich in another 4-dayer this Fall. Thanks a lot.

Final thoughts (edited for crude content):

Crew:

The crew on this sailing was fantastic. From Norman who offered us the moon and wheeled our luggage into the cabin to Gergely who, as a random beverage server on the Lido deck, remembered my and my husband's name on the first day forward, to Wanya's energy in the MDR, everyone we came in contact with seemed genuinely happy to be there. We'll give Ahmad a pass since maybe he was just having an off cruise. I've heard from more than one crew member who works on the smaller ships, that the work is a lot better than work on the larger ships. I'm beginning to see the truth to this just in the way the crew behaves on the Fantasy class. They get an A+.

Food:

This was a miss. Guy's was great as was the one shrimp taco salad I had at the Blue Iguana. The pizza is usually a favorite of mine but both times I had it here the toppings were thrown on haphazardly with skimpy sauce and a good 1.5 inches of edge crust. The lido deck salad bar was OK, but the rest of the lunch offerings were just tired.  Or maybe it was me that was tired. The food at the MDR was meh. I've seen Carnival's menu a lot and I usually find something that's interesting. I tried switching it up and had the tilapia one night. It was so fishy smelling I sent it back and got something else. I always like the desserts, but just wasn't feeling it this time. I didn't even gain one pound on this cruise. Grade C+

MDR:

I already commented on the food, so I'll just mention the crew. We had Wanya two nights, Gergely one night, and someone I can't remember another night. Wanya was fantastic and really kept her team moving and correct. Gergely bent over backwards to keep us happy. He even brought DH a neat whiskey at our dinner on his recommendation. We had Cheers so it was fine. DH couldn't stand it since he's not a big drinker and certainly not a down-the-shots guy. He drank it because he wanted to be polite, but he mumbled never again! I don't recall the last team, but at least I don't remember anything bad.

The nightly singing and dancing is a Carnival tradition, yes. They've changed up the songs over the years so it feels fresh and fun. Sometimes, though, our waiter will drop off a HUGE tray of food and you just know that's your food. But, then, it's SHOWTIME and you get to watch the show and get your colder-than-before food later on. I hope the crew is 100% on board with the dancing, because if they aren't, I'd prefer just to get my meal, thanks. Maybe sing on the first night and the last.  MDR grade A+

Entertainment:

We didn't do much other than sit outside the Dream Bar and watch whoever was on the stage. James from NZ on guitar was particularly good. We almost went to a production show, but we were always so comfortable wherever we happened to be sitting, so didn't feel the urge to move along.

I'll mention Mel our CD. Oh, sweet Pete! The announcements seemed endless! One particularly annoying announcement came during James from NZ's set. Mid-song Mel piped up with her announcement, which automatically cuts off James' mic. Mel went on and on and on about something none of us cared about. It had to have lasted 3 minutes, which is just about commercial length on an evening TV show. By the time she stopped flapping her yap, the crowd listening to James burst into applause. We were so glad to get back to the entertainment instead of Mouthy Mel. I mean, I'm sure she's a fine CD, tbut the required announcements which usually involve some kind of money-making thing are annoying to no end. Entertainment: B

Photographers:

We buy one photo per cruise and put it in our cruise photo album here at home. On Elegant night we stopped at two backdrops. The first photographer handed us a card after the shoot. The second photographer asked our cabin number after our shoot and wrote that in a notebook. The next day we were invited to a 10:00 a.m. appointment with the photographer that took down our cabin number. We didn't go to the appointment, but neither did we see any of those photos on the photo wall. We're assuming this is another way to make money and we can't just get one of the photos in that shoot but would have to purchase some kind of package. 

We did buy a photo from the first shoot. None of the photographers were pushy during this cruise. Grade B+

Cheers:

I'm not going to grade this because we didn't buy it to get a deal on booze. We don't drink enough for that. I will say that we never had a problem getting a drink waiter, nor did we ever have to wait long for a drink in the MDR. As I said, this cruise had great service.

Fellow Passengers:

There were a lot of kids on this cruise, but we didn't see the hordes of pre-teens and teens cruising around. Most of the kids were elementary school aged and younger.

The passengers seemed to be having fun with none of the drunken shenanigans we've seen on past short cruises. 

There were a lot of groups on this cruise and other than the congregating in the passageway outside our cabin every night, people were polite and agreeable.

Cabin:

Basic OV. It gets a B- because the pillows are too fat and the mattress too soft. The air conditioning was amazing, though.

OK, that's it. I'm going to copy/save just in case this is another failed posting!

I reposted my final thoughts after I was reprimanded (rightfully so) for indicating what was printed on a fellow passenger's t-shirt. Suffice it to say the t-shirt slogan didn't pass the Cruise Critic Family Friendly test! I've removed the slogan so hopefully my final thoughts can stay put. Thanks!

Great review!!! Enjoy your 25% OBC on the Panorama. We're also booked on the Panorama for next October. Looking forward to having a new ship out here on the left coast.