Does anyone know the ball park figure for Travel Insurance through Crystal for a 15 day cruise.  I know its usually more expensive but I think I read somewhere that they have a new company.  We are in our 70's. 

It's going to vary by the cost of the trip and that will vary based on not only the itinerary but the category booked.

I think if you use the website you can actually price it out as it asks for specifics; age, cost of trip, etc.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com

Or you could have your TA help you but the website looks like you could easily get the pricing.

Keith

1 hour ago, agnesd said:

Does anyone know the ball park figure for Travel Insurance through Crystal for a 15 day cruise.  I know its usually more expensive but I think I read somewhere that they have a new company.  We are in our 70's. 

You might want to check: insuremytrip.com

Usually costs less than cruise lines and they use some of the same insurers.

Crystal's runs right around 10% and I was told didn't vary by age when my companion and I insured our WC. At 68 (at the time) I could have gotten very slightly less expensive coverage but my friends (at 83) would have been astronomical. 

the company i always use for trip insurance is Travel Insured International.  i'm a usaa member and they give us very good rates.  the insurance is based on your age and cost of the cruise however, there are some times i only want medical coverage and don't care about trip cancellation coverage.  if you only want to be covered for medical issues and ship evacuation, then just put in $() for the cost of the cruise and they will give you the price for medical coverage only and it's usually very reasonable.  they always offer three different plans for you to choose from.  and you don't have to be a usaa member to use them.  hope this helps a little.

11 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

the company i always use for trip insurance is Travel Insured International.  i'm a usaa member and they give us very good rates.  the insurance is based on your age and cost of the cruise however, there are some times i only want medical coverage and don't care about trip cancellation coverage.  if you only want to be covered for medical issues and ship evacuation, then just put in $() for the cost of the cruise and they will give you the price for medical coverage only and it's usually very reasonable.  they always offer three different plans for you to choose from.  and you don't have to be a usaa member to use them.  hope this helps a little.

I use Travel Insured International and have to insure the trip for $500 if I want just medical. Could be that the rules vary slightly from state to state.

Patty

When spending 4-5 + figures on a cruise  I find it odd that people in the USA do not usually get trip cancellation insurance

Our insurance is expensive  but  I prefer to have it in case  we have to cancel

which we have done  at least we get most of out $$ back to cruise again  rather than just eat the loss

11 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

When spending 4-5 + figures on a cruise  I find it odd that people in the USA do not usually get trip cancellation insurance

which we have done  at least we get most of out $$ back to cruise again  rather than just eat the loss

Not sure you came up with that broad brush statement that "people in the USA" usually do this or that. I have met very few experienced fellow travelers who do not purchase cancellation insurance, or at least have it included by their credit card provider.

1 hour ago, USC Adventurer said:

1 hour ago, USC Adventurer said:

I just spoke with owner of one of the major trip insurance websites about this very matter. According to him, not a good strategy because by putting zero into the cost you are not fully insuring your trip costs which is a requirement of most policies in order to assure pre existing conditions are covered. This means medical expenses and possibly evacuation coverage could be denied due to pre existing conditions.

24 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I look at the chance of having to cancel versus the loss. Over the years that I haven't bought cancellation insurance I've saved enough to pay for at least 1 1/2 cruises. Now, I book the "cheap  seats", so I never have as much on the line as many in the penthouses. We all must decide individually what is best for our own financial peace of mind. 

Patty

patty,

try putting in $1 instead of $500 or $0, and see what it prices your medical coverage for.

i don't worry about trip cancellation coverage and thank goodness i've never had to cancel a cruise!  but since medicare doesn't cover medical expenses outside the U.S., i would never travel without medical coverage.

USC Adventurer. each company is different so there is no fast and hard rules on this.

And even the same company can vary their plans year over year not only the plans they offer but also whether or not some portion needs to be insured and if so how much.  

So while it might be $0 for the company you use, it might be something more for another company.

It definitely varies.  

Keith

As to insurance and whether or not someone chooses to insure their trip which by the way is not what the OP was asking it all comes down to cost and how much risk you are willing to take.

If risk of cancelling and losing the cost of what you have paid is not a concern then no reason to buy trip insurance.  I am talking about the trip and not the medical portion.

This is the same for other policies. For example how much your deductible is on ones car or home or whether or not they choose to insure high price jewelry.

Like most things in life one size does not fill all and even people change their approach overtime based on several factors.

Regardless, this is not what the OP asked about.  

Agnesd asked a very simple question and that was does anyone know how much Crystal (she didn't ask about other policies) would cost.  Pretty simple question and a pretty simple answer IMHO.

Keith

1 hour ago, edgee said:

Not sure you came up with that broad brush statement that "people in the USA" usually do this or that. I have met very few experienced fellow travelers who do not purchase cancellation insurance, or at least have it included by their credit card provider.

ED

Not a broad brush but reading  some of the forums  a lot  only buy medical

Maybe Crystal cruisers are smarter  😉

If you get it with your CC that is a good deal  ours only cover $5000  so I would have sail on a main stream line  for that to work 😎

58 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I look at the chance of having to cancel versus the loss. Over the years that I haven't bought cancellation insurance I've saved enough to pay for at least 1 1/2 cruises. Now, I book the "cheap  seats", so I never have as much on the line as many in the penthouses. We all must decide individually what is best for our own financial peace of mind. 

Patty

I agree

I guess I am not willing to risk thousands for the sake of  a few hundred

as always  YMMV

I was just curious 

2 hours ago, latsyrc said:

Crystal's runs right around 10% and I was told didn't vary by age when my companion and I insured our WC. At 68 (at the time) I could have gotten very slightly less expensive coverage but my friends (at 83) would have been astronomical. 

Age is absolutely a factor!!! 😱

We had friends on a Crystal cruise who had a major itinerary hiccup....flight and port changes etc...the guests who had their insurance through Crystal got better service from Crystal than the guests who had booked other carriers....just sayin'

Edited by suzeluvscruz

some friends of mine are sailing on the serenity next weekend on a 12 day cruise from venice to barcelona.  they priced their medical insurance with travel insured and they are paying $72 each for the highest coverage from travel insured which is a very good policy with high amounts of coverage.  travel insured is a very reputable company.

i realize the op didn't ask specifically for medical coverage, but i thought she would like to know an alternative to full coverage cancellation insurance.  excuse me for trying to be helpful and offer an alternative to someone!

There is no such thing as "insurance".  There is medical insurance, trip interruption insurance, evacuation insurance, trip cancellation insurance and much more.

The first step is to determine what risks you wish to insure against, for what compensation, and for what time period.

So asking about the cost of "insurance" is like saying what's the cost of "a cruise".

1 hour ago, agnesd said:

Sorry to waste your time! 

Well, since you never specified any details about what type of "travel insurance" you were interested in, I thought I would point out the vagueness of your question.

But since you want ball park figure -- somewhere between $10 and $10,000.   (It's a big park)

1 hour ago, agnesd said:

Sorry to waste your time! 

Not at all. The thing to realize is that travel/cruise insurance is not a simple equation. There are many variables to consider, and there is no one answer that is right for everyone. For most cruises we make an "eyes wide open" decision to self-insure the cost of the cruise itself. Notice I didn't say we are not insured, we are "self-insured". It's the right business decision for us, definitely not for everyone. After 80+ cruises, we are definitely ahead in the game. And I would hazard a guess that our business strategy is a minority choice.

The travel/cruise insurance policy simply indemnifies you against certain financial risks that may be incurred and those covered risks are spelled out in detail in the policy. What non-refundable travel expenditures do you want to be covered? Decide and then talk to a reliable agent (such as the agent at tripinsurancestore.com). He/she will guide you through the process and clarify your decision making. The agent also serves as your advocate should you need to file a claim.

5 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

some friends of mine are sailing on the serenity next weekend on a 12 day cruise from venice to barcelona.  they priced their medical insurance with travel insured and they are paying $72 each for the highest coverage from travel insured which is a very good policy with high amounts of coverage.  travel insured is a very reputable company.

i realize the op didn't ask specifically for medical coverage, but i thought she would like to know an alternative to full coverage cancellation insurance.  excuse me for trying to be helpful and offer an alternative to someone!

If that's medical only not surprising and there are others out there who have similar pricing.

Even for medical only factors influence pricing and that includes the age of each traveler and the length of the trip and possibly the destination.  I say possibly because I have never tested that out even though they ask you what the primary destination is.

Thy do offer three plans I see and if this one is the lowest of the three it would not be one I would want to use as it has at least for me a lower than desired cap on medical expenses.

In the end the devil is in the details so one better know what the are getting.

You have to know what you want and what risks if any you want to take.

One size does not fit all people nor all circumstances.  I try to avoid recommending a specific company or a specific policy  for this reason.  If it was so simple and one company fit all there would be far less companies out they IMHO.

Personally, if possible I desire a company that acts as my primary provider.  (eg., you don't first waste time going to your own primary provider and you go directly to them). But again what is something I desire might not b what others desire.

Many TA's can help with this and there are companies out there that can help with this for those who don't want to take the time to look at all of the options out there themselves.  Being retired I have time to do this myself.

Keith

9 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

In the end the devil is in the details so one better know what the are getting.

You have to know what you want and what risks if any you want to take.

One size does not fit all people nor all circumstances.  I try to avoid recommending a specific company or a specific policy  for this reason.  If it was so simple and one company fit all there would be far less companies out they IMHO.

+1

This is the big, important consideration that so many folks want to skip over.  And not just on "insurance", but on so many other decisions.  "I want to buy a computer, what's it cost?"   Capitalism makes for a great system, if you are an informed consumer.  But you can't skip over that informed part.

As H.L.Mencken wrote:  ""For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Edited by FlyerTalker