Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all!  I'm wondering if there is any way to know for certain when the Escape will go into dry dock?  I originally read fall 2020, but then read April 2021?  We are considering changing our December 2020 cruise from the Encore to the Escape, but we do not want to switch if the ropes course will have been removed from the Escape (which I just assume is occurring, but obviously isn't know for sure).  Also, any opinions on the switch are more than welcome.  We will be in the Haven either way, so not super concerned about open deck space, but my kids really enjoyed the ropes course and I do not think the go karts and laser tag will be as much of a hit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No official informations at the moment. At fall 2020 there is only a gap with 5 days at the moment at two Southampton cruises. That should be not enough time for a big dry dock ( getaway was about 14 days ). So if they are not cancel cruises the next big gap is at spring 2021. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, hallux said:

When was the last one?  Add 5 years and you have the approximate timing for the next one, generally.

There hasn’t been a previous one, as the ship was launched in 2015.

 

We know that one is due because it will be 5 years next autumn. People are wondering when it will actually be, as in specific dates rather than just that it will be some time in 2020 or 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steff79 said:

No official informations at the moment. At fall 2020 there is only a gap with 5 days at the moment at two Southampton cruises. That should be not enough time for a big dry dock ( getaway was about 14 days ). So if they are not cancel cruises the next big gap is at spring 2021. 

 

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, blcruising said:

I would get info on the drydock from NCL before booking. NCL has a track record of doing heavy construction on cruises immediately before and after a drydock. 

 

Thanks. Yes, I asked a PCC at NCL for the dates. He was not aware of dates. Planning not to sail right before or after for sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the Epic is scheduled for an approx 2 week dry dock in late 2020. Generally speaking what happens in these dry docks?  Could a lot of work be done in two weeks like upgrades on the boat or would it only be a bit of paint and some minor touching up of the ship?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2019 at 9:27 PM, Rob32 said:

I see the Epic is scheduled for an approx 2 week dry dock in late 2020. Generally speaking what happens in these dry docks?  Could a lot of work be done in two weeks like upgrades on the boat or would it only be a bit of paint and some minor touching up of the ship?

The last Epic dry dock was a bit longer because they replaced two engines (cut a big hole in the side of the ship and remove and install new engines). But in that time, they demo’ed all of the public areas down to the deck plates and rebuilt them. And replaced a lot of the stateroom furniture and carpets. We sailed right after the dry dock and our cabin steward was retiling bathrooms until midnight before they picked us up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 4:58 PM, jimandami said:

  We will be in the Haven either way, so not super concerned about open deck space, but my kids really enjoyed the ropes course and I do not think the go karts and laser tag will be as much of a hit.

Are you saying that the ropes course is being eliminated on the Escape ??

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kitty-sail said:

Are you saying that the ropes course is being eliminated on the Escape ??

 

It’s not confirmed, but most people seem to think so.  They have added the go-karts to the last 3 ships of that caliber, so speculation is they will do the same in dry dock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jimandami said:

It’s not confirmed, but most people seem to think so.  They have added the go-karts to the last 3 ships of that caliber, so speculation is they will do the same in dry dock.

I'm betting it has to be with liability. I did the ropes course on the Escape a few yrs ago. Fun to try.  Wonder how many people would prefer go-karts over ropes ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kitty-sail said:

Are you saying that the ropes course is being eliminated on the Escape ??

 

When we were on the Escape in April, the plans were undergoing engineering review and evaluation. So, it was more than random speculation. 

Edited by BirdTravels
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

We're considering the Escape for NYE 2020 but we're concerned about the potential changes. Go carts, laser tag and loss of deck space are deal breakers for us. Is there any way to find out about the changes before the drydock takes place or should we just wait until after to book? Seems like we'd be cutting it a little close if we wait until after 10/25.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

seems that Escape is going into dry dock in May ( ship movements thread ),

 

let us pray that NCL don´t touch the H2O, no race track no bigger vibe.

 

informations and pics are welcome

 

Edited by Steff79
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Steff79 said:

seems that Escape is going into dry dock in May ( ship movements thread ),

 

let us pray that NCL don´t touch the H2O, no race track no bigger vibe.

 

informations and pics are welcome

 

Given the current state of the industry, they will likely spend the minimum amount possible on required maintenance only.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised that in November 2020 they revamped The Haven onboard Epic so you never know what they will do to Escape if it is already contracted with the shipyard

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...