Cruise Critic Community
n2chocola8

Items to shop for in France

For France especially, the best reply to this can be strongly dependant on what region you're visiting. Can you tell us your port/s ?

We struggle with this too since you can pretty much get anything online nowadays. 

However, a couple things we've brought back as gifts and for ourselves during past trips have been:  

Peugeot salt and pepper grinders

Spices from farmers markets

Specialty mustard from the Maille store.  

Depends where in France,  if you are in the south you can get Camargue red rice which is quite unusual or lots of lavender products

possibilities:

Provence: rose salt

Normandy: Calvados (apple brandy)

Paris: perfume or wine/champagne (of course), baret or mariniere, macarons

found in all areas above: chestnut paste, antiques

Provencal prints table cloths and napkins. There are many shops in Avignon near the Popes Palace.

We will be visiting St. Tropez and Marsielle, France. 

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Are those two stops? Or are you going to St Tropez from Marseille? 

If it is two stops, what are your plans for Marseille?  Full day there? Excursions to Aix? Avignon? Les Baux? Arles?

One of the most typical items from Provence are the "santons."  Look it up:

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/france/articles/santons-provencal-homes/

Edited by marazul

Yes, two stops. We have not made plans for either day for any tours as we just wanted to explore on our own and do some shopping. Thank you for the link to the santons....interesting figures. I am hoping to find some Provence linens for my tables in Marseille.

There are lots of tourist shops selling table linens with the beautiful Provencal sunflowers and lovely soaps and hand creams made from the local lavender.

3 hours ago, n2chocola8 said:

We will be visiting St. Tropez and Marsielle, France. 

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

In that case. Another vote for soaps and lavender products. Also olive oil and some delightful pottery products.

Planning on a trip next Spring so nice to see these ideas! Faience, from Lyon or Rouen.

FYI, just another thought but I concur with the glorious table linens and ceramics in the South of France, they are beautiful and I wanted everything. 

If you are someone or know someone who enjoys perfumes or eau de colognes/toilettes (there's a difference) you might also enjoy shopping for some very lovely and distinct fragrances not otherwise available in the U.S. as some brands/designers simply do not export here. Also, you won't be terribly far from Grasse, the epicenter of all things perfume in the world, where people come to learn the trade and some of the most wonderful oils are found. Just something to think about if you enjoy these things. I always found that with fragrance, whenever I used one that I bought from France or anywhere that I traveled to, it reminded me of that place with particular detail.

Another thing that I have always enjoyed bringing home from trips is local artwork–small drawings or paintings by local artists or even nice print reproductions of other work like a photograph you might find particularly beautiful and would be a great reminder of your journey or meaningful to someone you know. It's often not too hard to transport if it's small as it can be packed flat or, alternatively, placed in a round tube and carried or shipped home. 

With both art/photographs (even quality postcards suffice, the kind found in book shops, art stores, stationary supplies etc) and fragrance, these souvenirs serve as lasting, and repeat reminders of wonderful trips rather than traditional items. 

My other go-to is the fridge magnet (or other steel space that it'll stick to!) but again, I look for magnets that have some thought put into the design, or go to the extreme end and get something so tacky it's funny!! 

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time in Marseille and St. Tropez! 🙂

There are also items made of olive wood.  Olive trees are everywhere in Provence, Var, Luberon, Bouches du Rhone and others.

There are so many items made of olive wood in all different sizes that you would be spoiled for choice.