Royal Princess 9/17/19 Leaving San Pedro at 8:30 PM

Time For Dreaming

Royal's stop in Victoria was cancelled at the only dock she will fit into has had construction delays  (the metal work fell off a freighter out in the Pacific while enroute to Victoria).  However in order to be in compliance with American regulations, she must stop at a foreign port.  The only options are Prince Rupert or Victoria.  My guess is that she will approach Victoria, take an anchorage at Royal Roads while the necessary paperwork is signed by Canadian authorities and then head back down the coast.

4 minutes ago, yyjguy said:

Royal's stop in Victoria was cancelled at the only dock she will fit into has had construction delays  (the metal work fell off a freighter out in the Pacific while enroute to Victoria).  However in order to be in compliance with American regulations, she must stop at a foreign port.  The only options are Prince Rupert or Victoria.  My guess is that she will approach Victoria, take an anchorage at Royal Roads while the necessary paperwork is signed by Canadian authorities and then head back down the coast.

Correct, we will dock for 2 hours in Victoria to be in compliance with the Jones Act..

Wow.  We live in Seattle and will be taking a ferry (already booked a non-refundable ticket) to Victoria on the 26th to meet up with my brother who is on this cruise.  Who would have have thunk this mild weather stop would be cancelled!?!?!?  You can't make this stuff up!  

12 hours ago, Icebowlpacker said:

Correct, we will dock for 2 hours in Victoria to be in compliance with the Jones Act..

10 hours ago, caribill said:

Not Jones. The Passenger Vessel Services Act, (PVSA)

Although I've felt like cargo getting off the ship! 😄

33 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Wonder what Princess will do  for the pax on the Alaska cruise missing the  Victoria port  on Vancouver Island ? 

As a passenger, I am looking forward to a terrific cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Icebowlpacker said:

Besides the delay in leaving San Pedro, we already have been notified that the ship will not be stopping in Victoria as scheduled on its return. Might be time to give Celebrity another cruise after this one...

The outcome would have been the same no matter which cruiseline you were sailing with.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

We sailed at 10:45pm - later than the captain had initially projected. 

I was was on the Vancouver segment that was initially delayed due to an oil spill. The passengers on that sailing remained upbeat and friendly despite the inconvenience they experienced with our late arrival.

I wish I could say the same of this Alaska bound group. I am choosing to attribute the appalling behavior of passengers to the disappointment of the late boarding - as my only other explanation would be that they are miserable fellow human beings. (Example: young parents with a severely disabled child in a wheelchair waited a very long time to board the elevator as my fellow seniors bolted in front of them. When I finally was able to hold the door open for them to board, another woman grabbed my arm and said “either get on or let the door close”.) 

I am sincerely looking forward to better attitudes after they all get some rest!

Edited by mringenoldus
  • Like 1

...and now, according to marine traffic web site, 16 hours later (at 2:30pm. 9/18) , the ship is just off the coast of Calif. at Vandenburg AFB/Santa Maria. What's up? A kid could ride a bicycle and get there faster.

R.jpeg.ce5bec5738e5c7476ca81b1af3a84d1f.jpeg

14 hours ago, mringenoldus said:

I was was on the Vancouver segment that was initially delayed due to an oil spill. The passengers on that sailing remained upbeat and friendly despite the inconvenience they experienced with our late arrival.

I wish I could say the same of this Alaska bound group. I am choosing to attribute the appalling behavior of passengers to the disappointment of the late boarding - as my only other explanation would be that they are miserable fellow human beings. (Example: young parents with a severely disabled child in a wheelchair waited a very long time to board the elevator as my fellow seniors bolted in front of them. When I finally was able to hold the door open for them to board, another woman grabbed my arm and said “either get on or let the door close”.) 

I am sincerely looking forward to better attitudes after they all get some rest!

Oh my Mylanta! Rudeness can abound on a cruise ship especially on embarkation day.

I hope, if you did not say anything, at least gave her a glaring look because I sure would have!

18 hours ago, mringenoldus said:

I hope things improve! Things happen and that’s just one of the outcomes of traveling sometimes! I was also in the 3 day and felt everyone just rolled with it! My day yesterday was a comedy of errors that resulted in us not getting back to Vancouver until 2am this morning! I still wouldn’t change things - we had an absolute blast!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, milogurd said:

...and now, according to marine traffic web site, 16 hours later (at 2:30pm. 9/18) , the ship is just off the coast of Calif. at Vandenburg AFB/Santa Maria. What's up? A kid could ride a bicycle and get there faster.

R.jpeg.ce5bec5738e5c7476ca81b1af3a84d1f.jpeg

I believe it is to do with California's regulations on Marine Mammal Protection.