Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ricka47

Where is Rudi's on Nieuw Amsterdam?

Recommended Posts

I understand that this is a "pop up" experience.  But, where does it pop up?  For those who have done this (and I know this is very subjective), is it work the $49 charge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It pops up in the Pinnacle. 
As to whether or not it's worth it---not to me. I think it's too expensive for my taste. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!  On the sample menu, it states, " Rudi's Sel de Mer's menu items are priced a la carte."  That doesn't sound correct on top of the $49 per person charge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rudi's is a la carte on the ships where it is a stand alone restaurant. On the other ships, where it is a pop up, it's a reduced menu with a fixed price. There are still selections, however. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never experienced This, but did run into Rudi in the Pinnacle one time......   I hope that doesn't happen again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had it twice on NA (May 2018 and February 2019) and thought it was better than the regular Pinnacle menu.  I had Pinnacle several times on those two trips and they were very inconsistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Never experienced This, but did run into Rudi in the Pinnacle one time......   I hope that doesn't happen again. 

Why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve done the pop up several times and yes, as others have said it’s in the Pinnacle Grill and $49 pp (before Mariner Discount).

 

We enjoyed it every time on both the Rotterdam and the Prinsendam. (Prinsendam’s was superb IMO on every occasion.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

Thanks!  On the sample menu, it states, " Rudi's Sel de Mer's menu items are priced a la carte."  That doesn't sound correct on top of the $49 per person charge?

 

Here is the pop-up menu (click to expand):

 

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-specialty-restaurant-menus/rudis-sel-de-mer-pop-up

 

The dessert souffle is light as a cloud and delicious.

 

image.png.f144729c82478f393a55212ae3122f41.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the NA this December and will definitely try Rudi's just for the Rack of Lamb, which is my favourite cruise meat. On my last Cruise (Dec '18) on the Eurodam, the lamb was awful.  Had to send the first one back because it was overdone and the second one wasn't much better either.  Does anyone know whether I can make a reservation on line?  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dot73 said:

I'm on the NA this December and will definitely try Rudi's just for the Rack of Lamb, which is my favourite cruise meat. On my last Cruise (Dec '18) on the Eurodam, the lamb was awful.  Had to send the first one back because it was overdone and the second one wasn't much better either.  Does anyone know whether I can make a reservation on line?  Thank you.

 

We just made our reservation online for this November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dot73 said:

I'm on the NA this December and will definitely try Rudi's just for the Rack of Lamb, which is my favourite cruise meat. On my last Cruise (Dec '18) on the Eurodam, the lamb was awful.  Had to send the first one back because it was overdone and the second one wasn't much better either.  Does anyone know whether I can make a reservation on line?  Thank you.

 

The lamb at Sel de Mer pop-up on the Westerdam was excellent, although a huge portion.  Need to remember to go hungry!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RuthC said:

It pops up in the Pinnacle. 
As to whether or not it's worth it---not to me. I think it's too expensive for my taste. 

 

On the Westerdam as a pop-up, the quality of cuisine and service matched the stand alone on Nieuw Statendam.  The Westerdam's pop-up was not ala carte which was a surprise to me.  With my Mariner's discount, the price was well worth the dining experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dot73 said:

I'm on the NA this December and will definitely try Rudi's just for the Rack of Lamb, which is my favourite cruise meat. On my last Cruise (Dec '18) on the Eurodam, the lamb was awful.  Had to send the first one back because it was overdone and the second one wasn't much better either.  Does anyone know whether I can make a reservation on line?  Thank you.

I’m on with you the week of Dec 7th.

Sel de Met is scheduled for Dec 11th and is available to book online or by calling Ship Services 800 5411576

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How far in advance of your cruise do all the specialty dinners typically become available online to book? 

Edited by Vineyard View

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

How far in advance of your cruise do all the specialty dinners typically become available online to book? 

 

Usually six to eight months before the cruise sailing date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone posted a while back a different menu from Rogers.  How do we know which one we will get on our particular ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Someone posted a while back a different menu from Rogers.  How do we know which one we will get on our particular ship?

 

Sel de Mer pop-up menus should be the same on all non-Pinnacle class ships in the fleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Crew News said:

 

Sel de Mer pop-up menus should be the same on all non-Pinnacle class ships in the fleet.

Thank you.  We will be trying it for the first time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 1:07 PM, ricka47 said:

Why?

I would rather not say on a public forum.  Let's just say it was not a pleasant experience for Mrs Banjo and myself.  We did take the time to discuss the matter with the the proper people on board and in Seattle.  if you want the details, feel free to PM me.  

Edited by crusinbanjo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...