Maasdam Alaska in May with children

m921759

Hi there!

We are experienced cruisers (6 NCL + 1 CCL / longuest cruise 19 days), avid CC board reader, and looking at a Maasdam cruise in Alaska in May. Could you share your thoughts about the crowding at the pool, Crow's nest and at the ports? Are most activities available at the ports in your experience? Any advice or thoughts?

We have children 4-7 years old and have cruised with our children since our first child had 20 months. We always enjoyed ourselves on moderate size (2200 passengers) ships, and always had positive comments and smiles from other passengers. We know there is no Club HAL on Maasdam. If someone has constructive thoughts about ship services and experience, or tips, regarding children on Maasdam/HAL or ports, please share! It would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

I would be concerned about the open railings on the promenade deck which don't have siding behind them.    We were on Maasdam in August.   There were few children,  especially young children, and I don't think there was much for them to do.

If I was travelling with our grandchildren I would not choose Holland America.   They would be bored.    My sons went on MSC with their family.   I believe the children were free.   There was lots for the kids to do and they loved it.   Another possibility is Royal Caribbean.

I would choose a bigger ship that would provide a kids’ club for your children. I adored my time in the HAL kids’ club when I was 8. Without one, though, HAL wouldn’t be that great for a child IMO. Is this the 14 day Alaska Cruise? I’m asking because there are so many ship options to AK, but I can see how it’d be tough if you want the 14 day itin.

Late May weather can be very nice in AK. Earlier May can be hit or miss. I would be shocked if you ever see more than 2 people in the pool at once. 

We did a 14day AK cruise on the Amsterdam with our 9 and 11 yr old kids. My kids absolutely loved it.  We did have Club HAL, which they loved. But they also made friends with the few kids that were on the ship, and they all hung out at the pool together when not in Club HAL. One child even had an impromptu birthday party at the pool one day and invited all the kids to come celebrate. I would definitely say the lido pool was not crowded. And most of the time, the only people in the pools were the kids!! Since the roof could close, it didn't really matter what the weather was. The kids also participated in the Polar Plunge with the adults, which was fun to watch.

I would recommend going on one with a Club HAL to give them more options of things to do. The caregivers were engaged, and the kids loved going.  They didn't spend all day there, but would pick and choose different activities on sea days (gaga ball, scavenger hunt, etc). 

We did RCL Liberty in the past, and it was just too much stimulation for my kids. The crowds and lines were stressful, and the kids' club was always full (where they turned you away). The kids begged to go back on HAL. So we are going on a family cruise at Thanksgiving this year. My sister is bringing her 4 and 7 year olds on their first cruise. I know they will have a blast!

I have a trip review somewhere on here from our Alaskan cruise that had a lot of info about the kids' experience on the ship. I think you can click on my name and see my previous posts. But I am happy to answer any specific questions.

• Like 1

Exactly cruisequeen4ever, we just booked the 14 day, we can bring my parents along to cruise while they can, it is a perfect fit for our schedule, we find the itinerary extremely interesting and we (parents and child) are very confident about our child's experience. I could enumerate reasons but it's not the point. We did cruises with kid's clubs and enjoyed them, and will do more, but we want to try something a little different this time.

So nice to know about the pool being usable and available although possibly a bit cold!

Thank for your review GirlGoneTexan!

• Like 1

I have only done one vacation to Alaska - a combination of using the Alaska Marine Ferry system (sort of a Hop on - Hop off experience with our small motor home), and then a land portion.  Reading my notes from that trip, seemed like it rained/sprinkled/drizzled every day during May, but the waterfalls were spectacular.