Gift credit - wines

catperson02

We are sailing with my parents on Britannia next year. Last time we sailed with them (and I did say "never again" but hey ho) I bought them a wine package as a Christmas present which they used on board. It was ok but not all the wines were available, the selection was not vast, it and on a couple of occasions we had a slight disagreement as to what to choose. I was not particularly convinced that it was much of a saving either. This time I am considering putting a gift credit on their account. This way they can pick what they want, maybe just a glass or a beer. I have looked on the cruise personaliser and gift credits seem to be available for specific things - spa, select dining etc. My question is do they actually restrict what you can spend the money on? I would hope not, after all as long as it is spent on board I can't really see the problem but I would hate for the computer system to throw a hissy fit and leave them with unspent gift credit and a bar bill. Any thoughts?

Only slight concern would be with any discount they may be entitled to. We have bought gift credit for folk in the past (only enough to cover a speciality meal) and were not sure if their loyalty discount would be honoured- we didn’t ask! In any case it wouldn’t have been much. I really don’t know the answer but it may be something to look into. 

We didn’t buy a token for a specific restaurant we simply gifted a sum to their account. 

Edited by Ranchi

My mum has bought me a gift credit a few times as a birthday present.  It just shows up on your account as a credit amount - so basically like an extra OBC amount.

You can spend it on anything you would do normally on board.

Michele

Many thanks for your replies. A gift credit may be a good idea. However, my parents will only be on their second cruise so get no loyalty discount. I will get 7 1/2% so it would be a better idea if I bought any drinks. Maybe a home made certificate to promise to buy their drinks at dinner each night may be the way to go. We didn't get a huge amount of on board credit when we booked at launch so my discount will quickly kick in once that is gone, especially as we took advantage of the great 3rd passenger discount and my 21 year old daughter is joining us in the cabin (yes it will be cosy!)

We don't go until August next year but planning makes the long wait more bearable.

Edited by catperson02
typo error