Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ravenrob

Barcelona Departing Flight

Recommended Posts

Will be on Allure on May 24th and returning on May 31st.  I found a great fare on United Airlines and the departing flight from Barcelona is at 11:15AM.  Is this flight too early?  Or can we make this flight home?  Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might help us provide suggestions if you tell us the scheduled arrival time of the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Itinerary shows that ship's arrival back into Barcelona is 5:00AM on May 31st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ravenrob said:

Itinerary shows that ship's arrival back into Barcelona is 5:00AM on May 31st.

 

You want to be at the airport by 9am, so you should be OK if you have a luggage tag time of 8am or earlier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, little britain said:

Disembarking started at 6.30 on Oasis last Sunday.  Flat fare €39 to the airport. No traffic on a Sunday.

How long was the ride to the airport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ravenrob said:

How long was the ride to the airport?

 

Our experience has been 15-30 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ravenrob said:

How long was the ride to the airport?

20 - 30 minute journey assuming no traffic.

 

Consider 3rd party travel insurance - you just never know and I find prices are very reasonable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ravenrob said:

Will be on Allure on May 24th and returning on May 31st.  I found a great fare on United Airlines and the departing flight from Barcelona is at 11:15AM.  Is this flight too early?  Or can we make this flight home?  Thanks in advance.

If you self disembark you will be first off the ship usually from 6.30am.

20 minutes taxi ride to the airport.

Edited by grapau27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

If you self disembark you will be first off the ship usually from 6.30am.

20 minutes taxi ride to the airport.

 

And one thing to note, if you get to BCN super early, is that United won't generally open their checkin/bag drop desks until three hours before the flight (8:15am in this case). In some cases, they may wait even a little later, especially if United uses someone else's ground staff and they don't get there right on the dot since they're working other counters.

 

So, getting there early could result in some waiting, and the check-in area is generally not a very comfortable place to kill an hour or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

 

And one thing to note, if you get to BCN super early, is that United won't generally open their checkin/bag drop desks until three hours before the flight (8:15am in this case). In some cases, they may wait even a little later, especially if United uses someone else's ground staff and they don't get there right on the dot since they're working other counters.

 

So, getting there early could result in some waiting, and the check-in area is generally not a very comfortable place to kill an hour or so.

We always self disembark around 8.15am at Barcelona.

There are many taxi's but 8.30am onwards the taxi queues are very long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

 

And one thing to note, if you get to BCN super early, is that United won't generally open their checkin/bag drop desks until three hours before the flight (8:15am in this case). In some cases, they may wait even a little later, especially if United uses someone else's ground staff and they don't get there right on the dot since they're working other counters.

 

So, getting there early could result in some waiting, and the check-in area is generally not a very comfortable place to kill an hour or so.

Personally I would rather be at the airport early and at least you are there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Personally I would rather be at the airport early and at least you are there.

 

Sure, my point is that there's early and there's really early. I'm running in to this issue later this year since I am going on a family try and they just changed the one nonstop flight time and now, due to the rental car being due (and too expensive to change), I have to show up at Tampa Airport like five hours before my flight...which means we have to wait outside the check-in desk/bag drop for an hour before they open, just to wait four more hours behind security.

 

I'm trying to find alternatives to that, but yeah...difference between early and excessively early, especially when the pre-security area of the airport isn't all that great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

 

Sure, my point is that there's early and there's really early. I'm running in to this issue later this year since I am going on a family try and they just changed the one nonstop flight time and now, due to the rental car being due (and too expensive to change), I have to show up at Tampa Airport like five hours before my flight...which means we have to wait outside the check-in desk/bag drop for an hour before they open, just to wait four more hours behind security.

 

I'm trying to find alternatives to that, but yeah...difference between early and excessively early, especially when the pre-security area of the airport isn't all that great.

As a regular flyer I can empathise with you the time you spend hanging around an airport.

At least when you get through security if you want there is always the VIP lounges for more comfort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

As a regular flyer I can empathise with you the time you spend hanging around an airport.

At least when you get through security if you want there is always the VIP lounges for more comfort.

 

Unfortunately, in my case, there isn't...flying Southwest and there's not anything gate-side that I have access to. There is a Cigar City "taproom" at least, so I guess I'll be there for four hours! ☠️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

 

Unfortunately, in my case, there isn't...flying Southwest and there's not anything gate-side that I have access to. There is a Cigar City "taproom" at least, so I guess I'll be there for four hours! ☠️

We are on Allure out of Barcelona next summer and the flights are 9pm back to Newcastle UK.

For several years the flights were around 12am so we will have to sort something out for the day.

We have 2 nights pre-cruise in Barcelona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are flying first or business class there is a very cool free lounge, with free drinks , wine , beer, soft drinks and food , comfortably chairs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had an 11am flight last week from Barcelona to Dublin after disembarking Brilliance. Had a private taxi booked for 7.55am which arrived right on time and we were going in the airport doors at 8.20am. In my opinion this was just right in terms of time - we weren't rushed at any point ( worth noting there was quite a long line at security - took us maybe 30 mins to get through) and didn't have too long to wait anywhere . For a transatlantic flight you should maybe leave a bit more time - I would want to be getting in to my taxi at 7.00am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did this United flight from Barcelona on the way home from Oasis, same week this year. I think you will be fine to make an 11AM. We were through security by 9AM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ravenrob said:

Will be on Allure on May 24th and returning on May 31st.  I found a great fare on United Airlines and the departing flight from Barcelona is at 11:15AM.  Is this flight too early?  Or can we make this flight home?  Thanks in advance.

Typically, the ship arrives around 6am into Barcelona. We boarded our bus back to the airport at 7:30am and waited for the usual stragglers (and confusion) but we made our flight at 10:55am to CDG, so you should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 10:18 AM, ravenrob said:

Will be on Allure on May 24th and returning on May 31st.  I found a great fare on United Airlines and the departing flight from Barcelona is at 11:15AM.  Is this flight too early?  Or can we make this flight home?  Thanks in advance.

 

The time is fine.  We were on Oasis in May with a United flight at 11:15 to Newark.

Left the ship at 7am.  Lots of cabs and took maybe

20 minutes to the airport.  Little traffic on a Sunday morning at that time.  United opens around

8:15 or so.  Unless you have Priority Access, it's best to get to the check-in line as it gets pretty

long.  Security was fast.  Passport control took maybe a half hour.  Boarding begins around

10:50.  You should have plenty of time to grab some breakfast at one of the cafeteria type places

near your gate.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of good retail opportunities at T2B.   

One small duty free shop now recently opened at T2C (that EasyJet uses)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 3:18 PM, ravenrob said:

Will be on Allure on May 24th and returning on May 31st.  I found a great fare on United Airlines and the departing flight from Barcelona is at 11:15AM.  Is this flight too early?  Or can we make this flight home?  Thanks in advance.

Plenty of time as journey is max 30 minutes.

You could pre book a taxi but there are plenty waiting at the cruise terminal and check the current flat rate fare on the web. Make sure you know the terminal and departure letter.

Recommend you write it down for the driver as some do not speak English.

this also applies when arriving at Barcelona, ie port address and ship name,

there are vip lounges and you can check if they have fast track security on the airport web site as well.

enjoy

j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...