Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Mud_Shark

Newbie Q - $50 Soda Card deal

Recommended Posts

Haven't sailed with HAL yet.  I see on the HAL website a $50 soda card available for $25.  Is this deal available once on board the ship, or only for pre-order?

 

We would like to use some OBC to pay for this if we can wait until we are on board and still get the deal.  Thanks

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always buy one prior to boarding and I’ve never seen it offered once on board.   So, I would suggest you purchase prior to boarding.  It’s 1/2 price deal if you are a soda drinker! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mud_Shark said:

Haven't sailed with HAL yet.  I see on the HAL website a $50 soda card available for $25.  Is this deal available once on board the ship, or only for pre-order?

 

We would like to use some OBC to pay for this if we can wait until we are on board and still get the deal.  Thanks

 

Don

Don- I believe you can buy and reload your beverage card once on board.

Joseph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure you can buy it from any bartender/beverage waiter.

 

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mud_Shark said:

Haven't sailed with HAL yet.  I see on the HAL website a $50 soda card available for $25.  Is this deal available once on board the ship, or only for pre-order?

 

We would like to use some OBC to pay for this if we can wait until we are on board and still get the deal.  Thanks

 

Don

I'm pretty sure the discounted cards are only sold online before your cruise. We bought several before our sailing recently and they were ready when we checked in. If you end up not using a card, you can also have the amount unused credited off your account at Guest Services. This needs to be done however before the end of your cruise.

 You can get Soda Cards onboard but they will be at face value, and not at the 50% discount. Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the card allow you to get unopened cans of soda or just fountain drinks?   I did not know of this discount.  Thanks OP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HokiePoq said:

Does the card allow you to get unopened cans of soda or just fountain drinks?   I did not know of this discount.  Thanks OP!

 

Hubby and I each had a $50 for $25 soda card on the Koningsdam in February. When ordered at a bar it was a fountain drink. When ordered in the buffet or Pinnacle Grill, I was brought a can and a "glass" of ice.

 

If you drink less than $25 worth of soda, you get a refund. If you drink $25 or more, you don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HokiePoq said:

Does the card allow you to get unopened cans of soda or just fountain drinks?   I did not know of this discount.  Thanks OP!

Seems to vary by ship. On the Zuiderdam last February, every one we ordered came in a can. Prior to that, every other ship it was always a fountain drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for giving your input.  Sounds like it may be best to pre-purchase the cards to ensure we get the deal, and then use our OBC elsewhere when we get on board.

 

Appreciate it.

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On our last 12 day cruise we pre-ordered two soda cards. They worked well. We got both glasses or cans, the price was different. The first time we used each card, they scanned the users key card, after that only the soda card.  Mrs. DD doesn’t always carry her key card, so I had to go back to our cabin to get it. No biggy. 

 

DD

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$2.25 + 15% service charge when paying full price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you still get your 25% or 50% discount when using the pre-paid card?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zelker said:

Do you still get your 25% or 50% discount when using the pre-paid card?

The discount I can think of is cans from the mini-bar, and those are charged to your room card. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RuthC said:

The discount I can think of is cans from the mini-bar, and those are charged to your room card. 

 

Oh, duh … you're right.  Silly me. 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info. Just ordered one soda card for our next HAL cruise. Hopefully some of the bar tenders won’t pop open the can so I can save for another time. I never know until I ask. Most will pop them open but others will just put them on the bar unopened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Zuiderdam in a couple of weeks. Booked thru a TA. Does she order me a soda card or do I call HAL? I can't do it online as our internet is not reliable. (I'm using my neighbours right now).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either one of you can order it in advance, or you can wait and purchase it on board. Your choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little confused. Some of you say the $50 for $25 is only available in advance and not once onboard. Which one is it? I'm only interested in the pay $25 and get $50. I know I can buy the regular soda pkg or soda card onboard. Also, is there anything other than soda included with the deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy it online in your cruise planner, thanks to the thread I bought two, great deal! 🙂 

 

It is a soda card, so only for soda.

 

People saying it’s only available in advance and not onboard is the same thing?! 

37 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

I'm a little confused. Some of you say the $50 for $25 is only available in advance and not once onboard. Which one is it? I'm only interested in the pay $25 and get $50. I know I can buy the regular soda pkg or soda card onboard. Also, is there anything other than soda included with the deal?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this a normal offering or a potential pricing mixup on the site?  

 

How is the soda fountain aspect enforced, server will only run the card for a soda purchase?  How much of a stickler are they for this, and what's considered soda fountain - beverage gun at the bar only?  Could it be used for bottled water or for mocktails?

 

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, jb008 said:

How is the soda fountain aspect enforced, server will only run the card for a soda purchase?  How much of a stickler are they for this, and what's considered soda fountain - beverage gun at the bar only?  Could it be used for bottled water or for mocktails?

The soda card is for soda. It is not for water, mocktails, or any other non-soda beverage. The server knows how to charge you when you place your order. 
The card is supposed to be for fountain soda. However, if the type of soda you want isn't available as a fountain drink, but does come in cans, they will pour a glass from a can. Sometimes you get the entire can, but that's never guaranteed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...