What would you expect as compensation?

Skater50

Thank you for all your replies. The flight was with Easyjet, and we weren't given a reason for it's cancellation - it was only cancelled on the morning of the flight, as we had already checked in online. 

2 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

In the EU there is a specific law for package holiday / vacation packages that is different from anything in the US or liability of airlines under EU law. The travel provider, in this case Royal, is fully responsibile for all costs related to the change. 

Thank you for this, that is what we had understood as well. We think we should be due the standard compensation for the cancellation, which is £230 each, but are unsure whether to press RCI for it or Easyjet, as the RCI T&C seem to suggest that if we claim it from Easyjet, we then have to pay it back to RCI, even though they're not offering us anything

6 hours ago, SRF said:

From what you stated, RCI should cover all your costs until you joined the ship.  Flights (which they covered), but also transfers, hotel, and a reasonable amount for food.

I don't understand your comments about an extra return flight home and back to the airport in UK.  For the second, do you mean you went to the airport, your flight was cancelled, so you went home, then back to catch your flight to Stockholm?  If so, how long between flights?  Was it a reasonable thing to go home.  

Your travel insurance should cover most things that are not the responsibility of RCI.

And under EU requirements, look into what the airline owes you.  EU regs have substantial penalties for not getting you to your destination.

Sorry, I should have made it clearer. We had got a taxi to our local airport on the morning of the flight, then had to get a taxi home, once we had found out we weren't flying that day. We then had to get another taxi the following day back to the airport, so are out of pocket for a return taxi journey in effect.

2 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

Under EU rules; If the flight was cancelled due to strike action by security staff or firefighter then the airline does not have to pay compensation.

If the strike is by airline staff and you were not warned about the strike 2 weeks before you fly you can claim compensation. According to a Which article: 

Under EU law, you're only entitled to compensation if you hear from the airline less than 14 days from the date you're due to fly that your flight is cancelled.

If the airline warned you of the cancellation at least two weeks prior to your scheduled time of departure, you won't get compensation but you'll get a refund.

Is a strike an extraordinary circumstance?
Airlines are not always obligated to offer compensation following a strike because strikes are usually considered to be 'extraordinary circumstances'. These are situations beyond the control of the airline, and can include adverse weather conditions as well as certain strike action.

But when a a flight is delayed or cancelled due to strike action taking place by the airline's own employees (eg pilots, airline staff), then the airline is required to pay compensation to passengers. 

Even sudden 'wildcat' strikes aren't classed as extraordinary circumstances when the industrial action has been called by an airline's staff rather than a third party, such as an air traffic control or a baggage handling strike.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/ive-had-a-flight-delay-due-to-a-strike-can-i-get-compensation

will those pesky EU protections go away for you with Brexit?

5 minutes ago, Skater50 said:

Thank you for all your replies. The flight was with Easyjet, and we weren't given a reason for it's cancellation - it was only cancelled on the morning of the flight, as we had already checked in online. 

Thank you for this, that is what we had understood as well. We think we should be due the standard compensation for the cancellation, which is £230 each, but are unsure whether to press RCI for it or Easyjet, as the RCI T&C seem to suggest that if we claim it from Easyjet, we then have to pay it back to RCI, even though they're not offering us anything

If it is booked as a vacation package RCI is your point of entry, not Easy Jet.

5 minutes ago, Skater50 said:

I have a real fear of discount airlines for critical travel such as boarding a cruise ship. 

But that's just me

16 minutes ago, Skater50 said:

First of all you need to find out from Easyjet the reason for cancellation. If it's the airlines fault (often technical reasons) you need to claim from Easyjet for the standard compensation. You do not need to go through RCL for this. An easy way to do it is through the Resolver website

https://www.resolver.co.uk/

I used this last Nov when a BA flight we had booked through RCL was delayed more than 3 hours due to a fuel leak. The money will come directly from the airline to you, it's compensation for the problem so you do not need to pay it to RCL..

You will then need to find out whether RCL are obliged to cover your other expenses, which they may have to do as you booked a package holiday with them. This is what you will need Citizens Advice or Which for.

Edited by kernow
missed info
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

will those pesky EU protections go away for you with Brexit?

Probably not as I believe the UK has already agreed to adopt all of these kind of protections into British law.

• Thanks 1

I think that a well drafted letter without anger in it (but facts and as well as statements mentioning your displeasure) to the cruise line MIGHT get you SOME form of compensation but I'd expect them to give you some form of a discount on a future cruise. Realizing that your flight bookings were done through RCL and taking into mind that our Air2Sea differs from your program, I am not sure what to expect from this - but I wish you the best of luck, OP.

Edited by johnjen
  • Like 1

Back in 2010 during the Icelandic Ash Cloud we were on a Princess Cruise in the Caribbean.  We had booked the entire package through Princess Flights/Cruise.  (Princess actually chartered the flight).  We were due to disembark in Barbados but there were no flights.  Those who had the complete package stayed on board and sailed around the Caribbean for another five days.  Those who had flown out independently were disembarked in Barbados and became the responsibility of the airline they had flown with.  The rules are different in UK when a package is booked.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:54 AM, John&LaLa said:

I have a real fear of discount airlines for critical travel such as boarding a cruise ship. 

But that's just me

Me too.

Heck, I have a fear of them for ANY travel.

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2019 at 9:43 AM, Skater50 said:

Sorry, I should have made it clearer. We had got a taxi to our local airport on the morning of the flight, then had to get a taxi home, once we had found out we weren't flying that day. We then had to get another taxi the following day back to the airport, so are out of pocket for a return taxi journey in effect.

Thanks

In that case, I think they should be liable for the taxi home and back the airport.  As well as taxi/transfers/hotel/meals in Stockholm

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Like who? Many of the discounters have better records than the big players

Hmm, how many big players have left thousands of passengers stranded when they went out of business.  Without any notice to any of the passengers?  Like several low cost carriers over the past few years.

And cancelled many hundreds of flights when their staff quit for better pay and benefits (EasyJet).

22 minutes ago, SRF said:

Hmm, how many big players have left thousands of passengers stranded when they went out of business.  Without any notice to any of the passengers?  Like several low cost carriers over the past few years.

And cancelled many hundreds of flights when their staff quit for better pay and benefits (EasyJet).

I take it you've travelled a lot by Easyjet? Your experience must be very different to mine. I probably fly with them around 10 times a year and have done for years. Never had a cancellation and very rarely a delay.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

I like that the major airlines sometimes honor their competitors tix in an emergency 

As you booked a package with RC your first point of call should be RC.   Write to them.  Under EU Law, as you booked a package holiday RC are responsible.  Your contract is with RC not the airline.

Then call your travel insurance company.  You can make a claim for compensation for the delays, loss of cruise days, expenses etc on your policy.

You wouldn't normally be able to claim from both parties - but any shortfall from RC should be covered by insurance. 

ABTA will help you if you aren't getting anywhere with RC.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 12:00 PM, cruisinfanatic said:

Like who? Many of the discounters have better records than the big players

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/thomas-cook-collapses-stranding-600000-tourists-abroad/ar-AAHFyco?li=BBnbfcN

looks like the UK is preparing for a civilian Dunkirk

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I wouldn't exactly call them a budget airline though, as the BBC evening news just said they were Britain's oldest travel company.

5 hours ago, kernow said:

I wouldn't exactly call them a budget airline though, as the BBC evening news just said they were Britain's oldest travel company.

But a newer airline, definitely in the budget category. Created in 2003

Edited by John&LaLa