Using credit card that includes trip insurance

ravok

Haven't had to use it but have read many reviews of the fact that it works but which card??

We have Chase Sapphire Preferred . 

It is a strange time to ask if it works after you have already use it and have not bought other insurance.

BTW we also have travel medical insurance which includes evacuation which is not covered by the credit card.

Oh Thanks..Yes...ours is Chase Sapphire Preferred. Didn't think it mattered when you used it, as long as it is booked with that specific cc. What travel Medical insurance is a good option?I think our Medicare supplement covers that...but not sure. Might be good to investigate.

4 minutes ago, ravok said:

Oh Thanks..Yes...ours is Chase Sapphire Preferred. Didn't think it mattered when you used it, as long as it is booked with that specific cc. What travel Medical insurance is a good option?I think our Medicare supplement covers that...but not sure. Might be good to investigate.

Might I suggest you peruse the travel/travel insurance forum here on Cruise Critic?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Everyone's needs are different. And many policies to choose from, some offering what is most suitable for you, others maybe not so much so, with only a few of the benefits that work for you. 

I looked into the Chase Sapphire credit card but their insurance doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions.

What’s Not Covered

This is not an exhaustive list. Examples include:

• Travel arrangements canceled or changed by a common carrier, tour operator, or any travel agency unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation
  • Change in plans or financial circumstances
  • A pre-existing condition
  • Traveling against the advice of a physician
  • A declared or undeclared war
  • Trips that exceed 60 days in duration are not covered

We used it once.  We have a Citi Double Cash card that we used to make a deposit on a cruise.  The deposit was about $400 and was non-refundable.  Due to a medical issue we had to cancel the trip - fortunately before final payment.  Provided all the required documentation and got reimbursed within about 3 weeks.  Had to call a couple of times to see what was going on but it generally went smoothly.

On 9/25/2019 at 6:59 AM, cherylandtk said:

Just a bit of warning:  As of Sept. 22, 2019 most Citi cards do not have travel protection.

That's for charges made after 9-22-2019. I downloaded the current policy before 9-22 and made payments on my next two cruises to the limit and kicked the problem down the road until I have time to get some annual coverage, I don't want complete coverage and will self insure a fiar amount.

Yes, we had to file a major claim with Chase (Sapphire Reserve) after being forced to interrupt a major Asian cruise/trip due to a serious medical emergency.  We have an annual travel medical policy from GeoBlue ($250,000 of med and $500.000 of evacuation) and Geoblue did a great job working with us and quickly paying all of our medical and evacuation related claims.  But Chase was quite difficult and it took more then 2 months of back and forth (via e-mail and phone calls) to finally resolve all of Chase's concerns (which seemed to change week by week).  But Chase did finally pay.

My advice to any traveler who does find themselves caught up in an insurance situation is to document everything (all details) and request written documentation whenever possible.  For example, part of our medical expenses occurred on a Princess ship.  As we were preparing to disembark (and medically evacuate from Japan back to the US) I asked the Princess medical folks for a detailed invoice (what they had given us lacked detail).  They were willing to provide a detailed print-out of all the medical details, but there was an immediate $40 cost to get that document!  We quickly agreed to pay that cost and got a detailed report which really helped settle our claim.  And to our surprise, GeoBlue did reimburse us that $40 fee.    But when it comes to insurance claims, having records of even the smallest detail (including every phone call, meeting, etc) is invaluable.

In defense of Chase, there is a lot of fraud in the insurance world and claims processors are suspicious by nature (I used to work in the health insurance industry).  There is a fine line between "jerking around a claimant" to delay or reduce payments versus satisfying a claims examiner that everything is on the up and up.  When dealing with claim issues folks need to put on their patience hat.....always control one's temper, always be respectful and tactful, but also be persistent and make your case.

Hank

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2019 at 9:50 AM, Hlitner said:

Yes, we had to file a major claim with Chase (Sapphire Reserve) after being forced to interrupt a major Asian cruise/trip due to a serious medical emergency.  We have an annual travel medical policy from GeoBlue ($250,000 of med and $500.000 of evacuation) and Geoblue did a great job working with us and quickly paying all of our medical and evacuation related claims.  But Chase was quite difficult and it took more then 2 months of back and forth (via e-mail and phone calls) to finally resolve all of Chase's concerns (which seemed to change week by week).  But Chase did finally pay.

My advice to any traveler who does find themselves caught up in an insurance situation is to document everything (all details) and request written documentation whenever possible.  For example, part of our medical expenses occurred on a Princess ship.  As we were preparing to disembark (and medically evacuate from Japan back to the US) I asked the Princess medical folks for a detailed invoice (what they had given us lacked detail).  They were willing to provide a detailed print-out of all the medical details, but there was an immediate $40 cost to get that document!  We quickly agreed to pay that cost and got a detailed report which really helped settle our claim.  And to our surprise, GeoBlue did reimburse us that $40 fee.    But when it comes to insurance claims, having records of even the smallest detail (including every phone call, meeting, etc) is invaluable.

In defense of Chase, there is a lot of fraud in the insurance world and claims processors are suspicious by nature (I used to work in the health insurance industry).  There is a fine line between "jerking around a claimant" to delay or reduce payments versus satisfying a claims examiner that everything is on the up and up.  When dealing with claim issues folks need to put on their patience hat.....always control one's temper, always be respectful and tactful, but also be persistent and make your case.

Hank

We had the same experience with Chase, but finally got our reimbursement 3 months later.  It was certainly very trying and tested our patience at every turn!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, erdoran said:

Guys, has Chase Sapphire Reserve also eliminated the trip cancellation benefit?  I thought I had heard they hadn’t, am I wrong?

I have not heard this from Chase, nor do I see anything on the internet to indicate they are eliminating travel benefits from Sapphire Reserve.  Citibank has eliminated most travel benefits from their cards effective last month.  That said, who knows if Chase (and Amex) might follow. 

Separately, I know the Chase Marriott Visa card (Visa Signature) offers travel benefits.  This card is no longer offered to new applicants and has been replaced with the Chase Bonvoy card.  Chase has offered current card holders incentives to "upgrade" to the new card.  While some of the benefits of the Bonvoy card may be attractive to some people, it does not include any trip cancellation or interruption benefits.  Chase does not tell you any of this in their marketing, but if you read through the Travel Benefits, this coverage is gone. Chase offers multiple versions of the Bonvoy card, but as far as I know, trip cancellation and interruption benefits are not included with any of them.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:11 PM, erdoran said:

Guys, has Chase Sapphire Reserve also eliminated the trip cancellation benefit?  I thought I had heard they hadn’t, am I wrong?

Not to the best of our knowledge.  As to AMEX, they really do not offer cancellation/interruption on most (if not all) their cards including the high end Platinum.  We actually dumped our AMEX Platinum after we received our Chase card.  It is rumored that AMEX will be adding some new trip benefits in January, but that is just the rumor mill and if it is happening we do not know the actual details.  

I have nothing but praise for the high end Chase card.  But if they were to start cutting benefits we would certainly be looking at the other options within the industry.

Hank

On 9/27/2019 at 11:50 AM, Hlitner said:

Hi Hank,

We are thinking of getting the Chase Reserve along with Geoblue to cover something potentially catastrophic, and I was wondering if you could tell a little more about what kind of expenses the Chase card covered? And also, did the GeoBlue get your wife back to the US, or was that just to the hospital in Asia? Thanks so much, reading some of your answers in trying to research has been very helpful.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, paulsen02 said:

Hi Hank,

We are thinking of getting the Chase Reserve along with Geoblue to cover something potentially catastrophic, and I was wondering if you could tell a little more about what kind of expenses the Chase card covered? And also, did the GeoBlue get your wife back to the US, or was that just to the hospital in Asia? Thanks so much, reading some of your answers in trying to research has been very helpful.

Regarding getting DW evacuated, GeoBlue paid for last minute Business Class (lay flat seat) to get her back to our home airport.  If we had stayed in Japan for her medical treatment, we would have likely been there for weeks which would have cost GeoBlue more money.  Once they got her to the USA they were no longer financially responsible for her medical care.

As to the Chase cards, it is best that you go on their web site and read all the info on the benefits.  It is complex.

Hank

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Hank, 

doesn’t geoblue have $500k medevac?

I'm not sure about GeoBlue, but even MedJetAssist will use something like lie-flat business class, perhaps accompanied by an RN or other assistant *IF* that would suffice for appropriate medical needs, rather than going full out with an air ambulance.

(Note:  The spouse will also be flown home, but in economy class at MJA's expense.)

GC

On 10/15/2019 at 1:53 PM, Hlitner said:

I have nothing but praise for the high end Chase card.  But if they were to start cutting benefits we would certainly be looking at the other options within the industry.

We're newbies to the CSR and have no complaints.  But, as you say, the benefits will always have to be weighed.  I understand that the Priority Pass access to lounges is tough at a lot of the airports.  But that 3x for travel and dining sure is nice 🙂