Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
jbecker6469

ANTIGUA DROPPED AS PORT OF CALL FOR HAL?

Recommended Posts

I recently noticed that there are no port of call stops at Antigua starting in 2020 except for one stop for the Volendam's March 22, 2020 sailing.  Anyone know why HAL is no longer stopping there?  

Thanks,

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jbecker6469 said:

I recently noticed that there are no port of call stops at Antigua starting in 2020 except for one stop for the Volendam's March 22, 2020 sailing.  Anyone know why HAL is no longer stopping there?  

Thanks,

Jim

 

FYI

 

https://antiguanewsroom.com/breaking-caribbean-cruise-lines-pulls-out-of-antigua-more-cancellations-expected/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone actually read the attached newslink?

 

Article says that Carnival CRUISE LINE,  not corporation, has cancelled port calls and mentions only the Carnival Cruise Line ships that have been rerouted.

 

There is speculation that perhaps other brands under the Carnival Corporation MIGHT do the same thing.

 

As far as HAL, I have been on cruises to that region that included Antigua and some that when to different ports in the region and not to Antigua. The itineraries for the same ship can differ from cruise to cruise.

 

Also, in the past, there has been occasional stories in the news about problems in Antigua with passengers and the ships of Carnival Cruise Line.

 

Wasn't there also push back from Carnival Cruise Line about the increased port fees in Antigua due to port improvements?

 

Jumping to conclusions about ports of calls being deleted can result in endless speculation.

 

As someone that lives close to Tampa port, I am sure I could come up with endless conspiracy theories about why HAL dropped Tampa as a port and then added it back.  

 

And no, no one needs to explain to me the facts about the deployment of ships and itinerary changes that affect said deployment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Has anyone actually read the attached newslink?

 

Article says that Carnival CRUISE LINE,  not corporation, has cancelled port calls and mentions only the Carnival Cruise Line ships that have been rerouted.

 

There is speculation that perhaps other brands under the Carnival Corporation MIGHT do the same thing.

 

As far as HAL, I have been on cruises to that region that included Antigua and some that when to different ports in the region and not to Antigua. The itineraries for the same ship can differ from cruise to cruise.

 

Also, in the past, there has been occasional stories in the news about problems in Antigua with passengers and the ships of Carnival Cruise Line.

 

Wasn't there also push back from Carnival Cruise Line about the increased port fees in Antigua due to port improvements?

 

Jumping to conclusions about ports of calls being deleted can result in endless speculation.

 

As someone that lives close to Tampa port, I am sure I could come up with endless conspiracy theories about why HAL dropped Tampa as a port and then added it back.  

 

And no, no one needs to explain to me the facts about the deployment of ships and itinerary changes that affect said deployment.

I did read it - sounds like an Antigua internal problem - not sure..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some that feel the new company given the bid to run the port went against the “wishes” of carnival group, who had been very interested in this port investment/ control. Abit more digging into this item via google or trade mags may provide a more rounded understanding. We’ve always enjoyed Antigua.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen a lot of HAL calls to Antigua  in recent years. I booked K'dam this winter because it was the only HAL ship going to Antigua. Only once in the past 5-6 years did we have an itinerary that included Antigua and that port call was cancelled. Don't remember why. So now I've seen it. Pretty scenery on our tour, but it wouldn't be on my top 5 list of islands. 

 

And after reading the article, I'd say the decision is politics more than anything.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Pretty scenery on our tour, but it wouldn't be on my top 5 list of islands. 

 

Pretty much our assessment also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...