Cruise Critic Community
sid_9169

Horizon / Live / Solo - Sep 21-29-2019

For the past couple of hours I've been tabulating usernames for my traditional thank you list... I noticed that there are a lot of new readers and names that I don't recognize, as well as "the usual suspects" (you know who you are...)

Hopefully, by Friday I should have the list complete, and typed up... Thank you all again so much for your comments and dialogue throughout this adventure. You all are the reason that I spend a good bit of my vacation time documenting and trying to give you something different than the usual cruise reviews...

I always seem to be late to the party, but I’ve been bingeing on this trip report and am now in the realm of your Ay Tee El thread...thanks for putting them out there for all of us. Happy belated birthday...your “online” birthday is the same date as my actual bday, but alas, I wasn’t able to celebrate on a ship. Glad you have another to look forward to soon! 

8 hours ago, Hooked! said:

I always seem to be late to the party, but I’ve been bingeing on this trip report and am now in the realm of your Ay Tee El thread...thanks for putting them out there for all of us. Happy belated birthday...your “online” birthday is the same date as my actual bday, but alas, I wasn’t able to celebrate on a ship. Glad you have another to look forward to soon! 

Thanks for making your way over here... Better late than never:) Hopefully enough going on over in the Ay Tee El to keep you busy until the Encore cruise...

Posted (edited)
On 9/22/2019 at 7:38 AM, sid_9169 said:

Want to talk about a good night's sleep, well I just had the best one in years... I don't know if it's the bed or the drinks or what... Probably just the Horizon rocking me to bed, knowing that I'm in my happy place...

We were on the Horizon in April and thought the bed was awesome!

Edited by ktmush2
Omission

10 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Thanks for making your way over here... Better late than never:) Hopefully enough going on over in the Ay Tee El to keep you busy until the Encore cruise...

I too just finished reading this great thread! Thanks for sharing your birthday and vacation with us. 

I tried to send you a message but it won't let me.  I wanted to ask a favor of you for your next cruise on the Encore.  Will you email me at my username at yahoo?  Thanks!  Bonstersd

On 9/21/2019 at 12:51 PM, sid_9169 said:

Going back in time a bit... When I was in the line about to enter the boarding tunnel, a lady comes up to me and says "are you the guy?"  I said, I guess so. What do you mean? She says " you know. The cruise critic?"... I said, oh, well in that case, I am "the guy"...

On 9/26/2019 at 8:42 PM, sid_9169 said:

Definitely not going to make it much longer tonight... Current situation: three drinks.

IMG_20190926_203929.jpg

Three drinks at once because 15 isn't the limit...its a challenge!

Sid - you did a fantastic job!  Thank you.

I don't think ANYONE is expecting a thank you for your birthday wishes - speaking for myself, the plethora of information (laced with sarcasm and humor) was more than enough!

We did this same itinerary on Dream out of NOLA a few years back - We LOVED La Romana - We did a river tour along the river that they filmed Jurassic Park and Predator (etc).  It was our absolute favorite stop.  And since embarking in NOLA, it was a party before we even started!  What we didn't know is every beach in Curacao is man-made, and therefore, they usually charged a fee just to go to the beach.  Great snorkeling though...  Just a bummer that everyone has their hand out.  We also loved ARUBA - beaches were spotless!  But if you go to Aruba, go to a "beach" that has restrooms and beverages.  Just general info for anyone headed that direction!

Glad you are home safe and sound.  Hope the Cruise Hangover doesn't last too long - sounds like you have another to look forward to soon.  That does help!

Later!

Hi Sid, sorry for the delayed "chime in", but I started reading late and just finally caught up.  Thanks for taking the time to write such a great review!!!!  Looking forward to your next adventure!

Well, it's better late than never... I have just now finished going through every single post, and every single page, and have completed writing down every single username of all you fine people who participated in this grand adventure... Hopefully, by tomorrow I'll type it all up, and will finally bring this "review" to it's conclusion...

IMG_20191005_125613631.jpg

Holy moly! How do you keep track of all those names without duplicating?

17 minutes ago, blarko said:

Holy moly! How do you keep track of all those names without duplicating?

Very carefully... If someone ends up being listed twice, you'll win a prize!... Note: probably not a very good prize...

Posted (edited)
On 9/27/2019 at 10:34 AM, sid_9169 said:

Work continues on the Skyride... The guy is welding under that black tarp...

IMG_20190927_103042.jpg

They had similar problems when I was on the vista last year. They had to weld a new piece in when we returned to port.

20180426_122507.jpg

Edited by darth frosty

Hello, I'm another latecomer to your review.  I will be on the Horizon next September sailing solo as well. 

I found your review while researching and over the past two days have read this and the ATL reviews.  I have enjoyed both of them.  I felt as though I travelled with you !!

I am not too very far from you in South Fulton County.  Hello neighbor ;o)

Just finished THANK YOU!!!

such a brilliant review that put the Horizon at the top of my list for next ship to try!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Very carefully... If someone ends up being listed twice, you'll win a prize!... Note: probably not a very good prize...

Like maybe new guys hairbrush or toothbrush...

🤣

Edited by Von & John

7 hours ago, Von & John said:

Like maybe new guys hairbrush or toothbrush...

🤣

Better than that, I promise...

OMG yes new review to read! I'm currently reading your Feb one. Seriously, they should pay you to write these. Glad that you've gotten to go on some more cruises! 

4 hours ago, CallistaSkye said:

OMG yes new review to read! I'm currently reading your Feb one. Seriously, they should pay you to write these. Glad that you've gotten to go on some more cruises! 

Thank you so much for reading, CallistaSkye! Hopefully you'll be there "Live" with me in December on the NCL Encore...

Wow Sid! Awesome review, which I have read from beginning to end. From nearly the beginning, every time that someone mentioned "the tribe," I wondered if perhaps you are also a member of a different "tribe", the one I am a member of.

Like you,  most of my "tribe" live by making lists. Like you, they tend to be extremely detail oriented. Like the majority of my "tribes" people, you are a germaphobe. Like you, the majority of my "tribe" are single [ and often in superb shape] Like you, people in my "tribe" like to be in control of how much "socializing" they do, because if they do not, they become totally overwhelmed. Like so many of my "tribe" members, you have an  awesomely snarky sense of humor. These are just a few of many examples I could give.

I won't mention my neurology, but I can't help but wondering if you, possibly, at the least are a "cousin" if not a tribe member. I am proud of my neurology, and I hope that if you are one of "us" that you are proud of your neurology as well. 

3 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Thank you so much for reading, CallistaSkye! Hopefully you'll be there "Live" with me in December on the NCL Encore...

For sure! I think it was your review last year or maybe the year before that I read? But I ended up going back and reading your older ones because your writing style is so great and entertaining. You really do have a knack for this. So I look forward to reading your December one as well. 

13 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Is it just me or is this lamp a little creepy? 

482392AB-5EB6-447A-840C-24628AD9F99C.jpeg

"I watch you when you're sleeping, mhua ha ha"

On 10/6/2019 at 7:16 AM, sid_9169 said:

Better than that, I promise...

This was a great review.