Haven't been on HAL for two years- questions

RedmondCruiser

Yes, there is still an embarkation lunch, open to all passengers. There are rare times the dining room is closed for embarkation lunch, such as when there is a touring group, though. 

11:30 is the standard first boarding time.

IIRC, the HSC for non-suite cabins is $14.50 per person, per day. Suites are $16 pp/pd. 

Happy Hour is held daily, except for embarkation day. Check your daily program for times and places, as that can vary from ship to ship. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RedmondCruiser said:

Do they still have an embarkation lunch ?

Used to get on after 10:30 now they say 12:30 is the earliest

Is the standard gratuity still $14.50 PP

Happy Hour was eliminated on Princess but from the threads it appears that HAL still has happy hour.

Ruth has provided you with good information.  She's one of the best sources of information on this board.  Are you booked on a particular ship/cruise?  Have you experienced that ship before?  Please come back and let us know.  If it's a ship you haven't previously sailed on, various people will give you their opinions should you desire them.   

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Yes, there is still an embarkation lunch, open to all passengers. There are rare times the dining room is closed for embarkation lunch, such as when there is a touring group, though. 

11:30 is the standard first boarding time.

IIRC, the HSC for non-suite cabins is $14.50 per person, per day. Suites are $16 pp/pd. 

Happy Hour is held daily, except for embarkation day. Check your daily program for times and places, as that can vary from ship to ship. 

Thank you Ruth for your prompt response.  We are in a Veranda Room which they now call a Vista Suite so I guess I'll get hit with the $16 charge.  I can see that a signature suite and a Neptune Suite are bigger and therefor are harder to clean but this is a balcony room on the  Amsterdam.  Will see when I get on board Monday.

4 minutes ago, RedmondCruiser said:

Thank you Ruth for your prompt response.  We are in a Veranda Room which they now call a Vista Suite so I guess I'll get hit with the $16 charge.  I can see that a signature suite and a Neptune Suite are bigger and therefor are harder to clean but this is a balcony room on the  Amsterdam.  Will see when I get on board Monday.

I would add that during the happy hour - the second drink is $2 and must be the same as the first one.

The Happy Hours are usually at the same time in the same lounge, but there may be another time in another lounge. Sometimes there is one later in the evening, like 9:00 or 10:00 PM. 
I haven't been on the Nieuw Statendam (just the 'old' ones), so don't know where they are held on that ship.