Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

!Hola! 

After a wonderful run at about 22 pages, it seems the right time to begin a new chapter of Palma de Mallorca DIY topic, with thanks to everyone, especially roger b, for making it such a wonderful part of the Spain community. I have closed that thread to new posts but it remains viewable to anyone as a valuable source of information for trip planning or if you wish to review any of the posts you have made to the topic in the past.

Having fewer pages will make it more amenable to searches for new and repeat visitors alike, rather than a place where only new posts will get added on to the existing topic, making it a valuable source of information for visitors to the Spain message board.

In the new thread, please continue to adhere to the forum T.O.S., as everyone here has always done, and focus your wonderful contributions on the do-it-yourself topics of interest that have made the original compilation such a rousing success. Examples of DIY inquiries/discussions are, but not limited to:

• Arranging transportation to/from, or while in port 
  • Restaurants
  • Accommodations
  • What to see or do while in port
  • Beaches
  • HoHo buses and ordinary buses
  • And....other pertinent DIY inquiries

This is definitely NOT the place to ask about tours, guides, etc. as that takes us outside the realm of DIY. Best answer to someone posting such a question (or a review we don't see and remove; remember you can always alert us for prompt removal!) is to refer them to a topic that might answer the question they have asked about a tour, or kindly suggest starting a new topic, so that this topic adheres to its mission.

Thanks in advance everyone for making Palma de Mallorca 2.0 the success we know it will be. 🙂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So for those who are new to this topic on this part 2 thread, let me start by recommending the bona fides of roger b, who lives part [most] of the year in Palma and has terrific advice for DIYers.

Many Thanks for your kind words, I hope to carry on offering advise to all CC members  that want anything that pertains to Majorca.

To kick this off I would like to give you all a another idea that has not been asked for on this board for day out from the port.

https://www.seemallorca.com/port-d-andratx

This lovely village by the sea and a perfect place for lunch by the water's edge, about half an hour from Palma or following the road around the coast and coming to Valldermosa or Soller , this is a spectacular drive along the coast with awe inspiring views.

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/valldemossa/

https://www.seemallorca.com/soller

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I'm considering booking a tour through Viator, but this one doesn't offer port pick up--the meeting point is Placa d'Espanya, 07002 Palma.  Assuming that our ship (Azamara Pursuit) docks at Puerto de Palma, would this be within walking distance?  I'm not sure if Azamara offers a shuttle.

For anyone on a repeat visit who has already ticked off the top sights, a self-guided walk could be of interest.

Palma has an incredible amount of architectural gems to show off including Gothic and Modernist. You only need to know where to look for them. There are other "themes" too.

There are many bookable guided walking tours to choose from which are payable, but also easy to DIY at your own pace too.

I am always a bit wary about giving direct links to websites, but searching the internet with eg "self guided (insert theme of choice) walks" or  self guided (insert theme of choice) walking tours in Palma" should bring up some of the following:

The local transport company has several to choose from (with printable maps for each)

https://www.tib.org/en/web/ctm/turisme 

Lonely Planet- "Palma de Mallorca in detail" has some.

The seemajorca site already mentioned above.

For the techies amongst us, the gypsmycity site.

There are many more. There are also images of walking tours maps online.

Lovely city.  We visited again as a port of call just this summer after a long gap and were reminded just how attractive Palma is. Now considering a city break as we didn't have time to finish the second of our own DIY walking tours.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 10:06 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

So for those who are new to this topic on this part 2 thread, let me start by recommending the bona fides of roger b, who lives part [most] of the year in Palma and has terrific advice for DIYers.

Awesome Jazz, thanks! And that's why I shouted him out in the opening line of the version 2.0 😉 Yessss roger b. 👋  👋

5 hours ago, hiccups said:

I'm considering booking a tour through Viator, but this one doesn't offer port pick up--the meeting point is Placa d'Espanya, 07002 Palma.  Assuming that our ship (Azamara Pursuit) docks at Puerto de Palma, would this be within walking distance?  I'm not sure if Azamara offers a shuttle.

Hi, Placa d'Espanya is quite easy to get to, but not within walking distance.From the port as you come out of the terminal you will see a bridge crossing the main road along the sea front , cross the bridge and walk up to the Avinguda de Joan Miro( see google maps ).

Turn left at the this road and you will see the bus stop about 25 yds take the No 3 bus (1.5 euros) and about 20 mins bus ride to the Pl de Espanya Or get a taxi about 15 euros .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We will be in port on Thursday, November 7. Our first visit 😀

Will there be taxi drivers at the port? We are thinking about visiting Valldemossa.

How far is Valldemossa from the cruise ship port?

Thanks in advance for any and all not to miss suggestions.

2 hours ago, krb1000 said:

Hello,

We will be in port on Thursday, November 7. Our first visit 😀

Will there be taxi drivers at the port? We are thinking about visiting Valldemossa.

How far is Valldemossa from the cruise ship port?

Thanks in advance for any and all not to miss suggestions.

Hi, Yes there will be plenty of taxi's at the port and it is a 30 min drive to Vadermossa , to see other ideas on this route see my other ideas on:

Palma de Majorca Diy pt 1

Thank you @roger b for your advice about renting a car from Arash for a DIY drive to Valldemossa, Deia and Soller.  The car was waiting in the parking lot as promised, was quite new and worked perfectly.  We were able to find our way to most of the sites on our list [the church in Deia mystified the GPS and our ship's late arrival meant we arrived at Casa Robert Graves and Ca'n Prunera just as they were closing :classic_sad:, and the extremely narrow road out of Soller to Fornalutx was just too daunting].  But we were able to pack in much more than any ship's excursion [Valldemossa incl. the Monastery, Son Marroig, Deia, Soller incl. train station museum and modernista buildings on Plaça de sa Constitutió].  The drive back through the tunnel was very easy – except finding our way back to the port [again the GPS was useless].

One question:  what is the 'old' language of Mallorca?  Names like Fornalutx and Andratx don't look Spanish.  Is it Catalan?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thank you @roger b for your advice about renting a car from Arash for a DIY drive to Valldemossa, Deia and Soller.  The car was waiting in the parking lot as promised, was quite new and worked perfectly.  We were able to find our way to most of the sites on our list [the church in Deia mystified the GPS and our ship's late arrival meant we arrived at Casa Robert Graves and Ca'n Prunera just as they were closing :classic_sad:, and the extremely narrow road out of Soller to Fornalutx was just too daunting].  But we were able to pack in much more than any ship's excursion [Valldemossa incl. the Monastery, Son Marroig, Deia, Soller incl. train station museum and modernista buildings on Plaça de sa Constitutió].  The drive back through the tunnel was very easy – except finding our way back to the port [again the GPS was useless].

One question:  what is the 'old' language of Mallorca?  Names like Fornalutx and Andratx don't look Spanish.  Is it Catalan?

Hi,Yes it is Catalan, When you came back on to the motorway you could have gone either way and you would have come to a sign saying to the port. Please everything worked out for you apart from the sat nav.

I had printed out instructions from google maps, so we were ok going from MA-10 to MA-20 to MA-1.  It was finding the entrance to the port and then to the little parking lot where the car had been that was tough – and I had no clue how to even program that into a GPS.  We found the port entrance on our second pass, and then luckily we saw the rental car building and drove over a pedestrian walkway into the lot – no harm, no foul.  Great day, and still things to do on our visit to Palma next year.  Thanks again for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

Roger B

We will be arriving in Mallorca on the Oceania Nov. 22.  We are

planning to visit the Rafa Nadal academy and Museum in Manacor.

Will we be able to get a taxi at the port or do we need to reserve in advance?  Also, are the fares at a fixed rate?
Another option would be to rent a car for the day.  Would you recommend that?
Thanks for your help,

Carol

newhopecruiser

2 hours ago, newhopecruiser said:

Roger B

We will be arriving in Mallorca on the Oceania Nov. 22.  We are

planning to visit the Rafa Nadal academy and Museum in Manacor.

Will we be able to get a taxi at the port or do we need to reserve in advance?  Also, are the fares at a fixed rate?
Another option would be to rent a car for the day.  Would you recommend that?
Thanks for your help,

Carol

newhopecruiser

Hi Carole.

You will be able to get a taxi from the port( Fare is on the Meter ) , but it will be cheaper to hire a car and it is an easy drive from the port with no turn offs and you are right on the road as you leave the port .

The hire car is left for you in  the car park at the port and you will see an earlier post in this thread how easy it was or look back to my previous posts on  Palma de Mallorca Pt 1.

If you hire a car you will have plenty of time to see Palma or more of the Island.

Taxi.

https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Palma-de-Majorca-Spain&from=Puerto+de+Palma%2C+Av.+de+Gabriel+Roca%2C+Palma%2C+Illes+Balears+07012%2C+Spain&to=Manacor%2C+Illes+Balears%2C+Spain&fromCoord=39.559846,2.630968&toCoord=39.57,3.20889

Car Hire :

https://www.arashrentacar.com/0/arash--rent-a-car-English/2

Ask for Carlos.

4 hours ago, lauraapp said:

Can you recommend tour company.  Would like large bus from the port to visit Valldemossa and Soller. Approx 40 passengers.

Hi Laura,

I can give you three :

https://majorca-tours.net/escursione/tour-valldemossa-and-chopin/

https://www.spaindaytours.com/spain-shore-excursions/palma-shore-excursion/

https://majorca-tours.net/escursione/valldemossa-port-soller-soller-palma/

Both good !! Hope it works out

Edited by roger b
Missing site

During our stop in Palma, I booked a hiking excursion with Mallorca Urban Adventures and really enjoyed it.  We met at Placa d'Espanya, and took the bus to Esporles, where we hiked the old Post Trail to Banyalbufar.  We then took the bus back to Palma.  It's a long excursion--about 8 hours--but if you're interested in doing something a little different, I'd recommend it.

Mallorca Urban Adventures has several tours in Palma.  They have an evening tapas tour that looked like a lot of fun!

When we were in Palma we did a DIY to Soller and then the Port of Soller.  The train station was a 6E taxi ride from the port.  It was an old wooden train and the ride was great. We took the bus back with a quick stop in Valdemossa.

IMG_8865.JPG

IMG_8955.JPG

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, mskaufman said:

When we were in Palma we did a DIY to Soller and then the Port of Soller.  The train station was a 6E taxi ride from the port.  It was an old wooden train and the ride was great. We took the bus back with a quick stop in Valdemossa.

IMG_8865.JPG

IMG_8955.JPG

Well Done !! Quite a feat for a one day visitor !!

We originally planned to take the train back, but while in Soller looked at the bus schedule and saw it could work.  Luckily the ship did not leave until late so we had a long day.  

IMG_6549.JPG

Edited by mskaufman
grammer

Looking for any and all DIY recommendation for a great day in Palma Majorca. Looking for a true do it yourself tours that would maximize a one day visit. Open to bus, taxi, walking, biking, renting a car - we are active and adventurous and want to see all that experienced visitor liked - if you have a written plan (bus to catch, etc) that would be amazing (my email is segnit @ gmail if easier to send). It would be for Nov 23, we arrive  at 9AM and depart 7PM. If a rental car is the recommendation and I would do it, but, my concern is that time of year dusk settles in about 5PM, and didn't want to be driving in the dark if a foreign land 😎. If you think a package tour good for a 1st timer - open to that recommendation too. Just looking to make the most of seeing and experience Majorca. Thanks, Brian

On 10/30/2019 at 11:06 AM, hiccups said:

During our stop in Palma, I booked a hiking excursion with Mallorca Urban Adventures and really enjoyed it.  We met at Placa d'Espanya, and took the bus to Esporles, where we hiked the old Post Trail to Banyalbufar.  We then took the bus back to Palma.  It's a long excursion--about 8 hours--but if you're interested in doing something a little different, I'd recommend it.

Mallorca Urban Adventures has several tours in Palma.  They have an evening tapas tour that looked like a lot of fun!

Hiccups - that looked like a great day. Our ship departs at 7 - so all board would be 6 - looks like the 8hr (10:30 start from the web site) adventure would end at 6:30. How fast / long is the bus ride to meeting point - any idea if toward the end of the tour if I could catch a bus back in time for all aboard or are you not near bus routes. What do you think a taxi back to port would be in terms of time and cost? THANKS

On 10/30/2019 at 8:06 PM, mskaufman said:

Mskaufman - interesting, what was your total travel time (hours) for this trip - do the trains run pretty regularly - what was cost. Would you recommend this for a 1st time visit to Palma? Thanks!

21 minutes ago, FairportNY said:

Hiccups - that looked like a great day. Our ship departs at 7 - so all board would be 6 - looks like the 8hr (10:30 start from the web site) adventure would end at 6:30. How fast / long is the bus ride to meeting point - any idea if toward the end of the tour if I could catch a bus back in time for all aboard or are you not near bus routes. What do you think a taxi back to port would be in terms of time and cost? THANKS

It probably wouldn't be possible to do that tour--I didn't get back to Palma until about 6:40, and then caught a taxi to the shuttle bus meeting point to make the 7 PM shuttle.  The hike ends in Banyalbufar, which is quite a distance from Palma.  If there is an earlier bus you could skip the drink and beach portion at the end, but I'd be too nervous about that because we switched buses.

Depending on how big your group is, maybe you could contact them about a private tour and have an earlier start to the hike.

• Thanks 1