Cruise Critic Community
bostonfred

Couple of Star questions

Hi, we will be on Star in October. We only have a couple of prior Princess cruises. Last cruise on Caribbean Princess the theatre was totally inadequate as far as seating. If you didn’t arrive at least 45 minutes before show time there were no seats.  Even the lounge carrying the live feed was overflowing prior to show time. Should we expect the same on the Star? Our other Princess Cruise was the Ruby Princess and I think they did 3 shows instead of two. That seemed to work better.

Also, any of the outdoor pools heated?....thanks, getting excited about the trip 😎😎

25 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Hi, we will be on Star in October. We only have a couple of prior Princess cruises. Last cruise on Caribbean Princess the theatre was totally inadequate as far as seating. If you didn’t arrive at least 45 minutes before show time there were no seats.  Even the lounge carrying the live feed was overflowing prior to show time. Should we expect the same on the Star? Our other Princess Cruise was the Ruby Princess and I think they did 3 shows instead of two. That seemed to work better.

Also, any of the outdoor pools heated?....thanks, getting excited about the trip 😎😎

The Star has one less deck (Riviera) and 500 less people than the CB.

We don't have an issue on any of the ships for the theater.

We just get there 30-45 minutes early.

No heated pools on Princess.

Theater. The Star's theater is just about the same size as the Caribbean, but the Star has 500 fewer passengers. With that said you still have to arrive early for popular shows.

Don't expect heated pools. The Star has an indoor pool with hot tubs..

We sailed on the Star for 28 days in April of this year and never found the need to arrive very early for shows in the theater.  I don't know whether it was the number of passengers onboard, demographics, length of cruise...but we were pleasantly surprised.

i never had issue son my hawaii trip finding seats int he theater, but we did arrive 20-30 minutes early.  but the vista and explorer's lounge show were always hard to find seats.  i guess the shows in those venues were way more popular than the stage shows on that cruise.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Theater. The Star's theater is just about the same size as the Caribbean, but the Star has 500 fewer passengers. With that said you still have to arrive early for popular shows.

Don't expect heated pools. The Star has an indoor pool with hot tubs..

Where is the indoor pool?? Do you mean the one in the spa area??

4 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Where is the indoor pool?? Do you mean the one in the spa area??

Calypso Reef Pool with Conservatory above.

Ok thanks for letting me know.

What is the conservatory??

43 minutes ago, skynight said:

Calypso Reef Pool with Conservatory above.

Thanks!! Have not seen indoor pools before except in spa areas .

Interesting to find this.

Go to cruise ship deck plans  then click on Princess ships .go to the Star princess scroll down to the decks & you will find the conservatory 

Edited by mcrcruiser

23 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Thanks!! Have not seen indoor pools before except in spa areas .

Interesting to find this.

Princess ships with indoor pools: Coral, Island, Grand, Golden, Star, Sapphire, Diamond, Majestic. The Majestic's is forward on deck 17.

We were on the Coral through the Panama Canal last year.

I walked by that pool but it didn't register on my brain that it was indoors!

It just felt like a regular deck. I am really getting old!!!!

We board her this Sunday in Seattle......that covered area looks like will come in handy with cold/wet weather......but looks nice in San Francisco and Monterey.......can't wait.

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

We were on the Coral through the Panama Canal last year.

I walked by that pool but it didn't register on my brain that it was indoors!

It just felt like a regular deck. I am really getting old!!!!

The conservatory glass roof can be opened or closed or somewhere in between.  Since you were on a PC cruise in warm water it may well have been open the entire time.  We were on the Island and they kept it completely open.  it is part of the Lido deck and easy to miss if you do not look up. 

We usually arrive in the theater with kindles in hand about an hour before the performance.  The theater is either empty or maybe a handful of pax.  It is a nice quiet time to read our kindles and very restful after dinner.  We will be on the Star again in November.  The ship is a grand class ship and is easily recognizable with the "grocery cart handle" (Skywalkers hung over the stern).  Later evolution of ships (Ruby etc) had Skywalkers moved to a more sensible location next to the funnel and no conservatory.  

I've never seen the roof open when we've been on ships with the Conservatory. I know they can be opened but I've never seen it done.

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I've never seen the roof open when we've been on ships with the Conservatory. I know they can be opened but I've never seen it done.

You obviously need to go on warmer cruises.  I not only have seen it open but have seen them close it one time.  

2 hours ago, satxdiver said:

You obviously need to go on warmer cruises.  I not only have seen it open but have seen them close it one time.  

Hawaii and Mexico on Star. Panama Canal (twice) on Coral. 14 day Circle Caribbean on Caribbean Princess. 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific on Emerald. California coastal on Crown. Hawaii on Grand. Definitely all warm weather cruises. We always go to the conservatory to relax and read. Never seen the roof open. Perhaps we are just "lucky". 

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Have never seen it in operation either.

IMO and cruises we have been on........doesn't seem like it has anything to do with the cruise region.

Roof Open? Have seen it a few times, but it is rare. I don't believe it is open very much. Have sailed a total of 214 days on Princess ships with indoor pools.

On Hal the indoor pool roof was open.

On 9/19/2019 at 8:52 AM, bostonfred said:

I've been on the STAR PRINCESS three times and found it easy to get a seat in the theatre by going 30-45 minutes before show time. Always  get a drink, take something to read or talk with cruise friends while we wait. Last Feb. there were 2 shows.

6 hours ago, dog said:

I've been on the STAR PRINCESS three times and found it easy to get a seat in the theatre by going 30-45 minutes before show time. Always  get a drink, take something to read or talk with cruise friends while we wait. Last Feb. there were 2 shows.

The Star has pull up tables in the arms of the theater seats. Handy for a drink or to rest things on before the show.

On 9/19/2019 at 12:53 PM, satxdiver said:

Since you were on a PC cruise in warm water it may well have been open the entire time.  We were on the Island and they kept it completely open.  it is part of the Lido deck and easy to miss if you do not look up.

My experience is the opposite. Because they were warm water/area cruises the roof was kept closed and the A/C was on, which was why it was my hang out of choice.

While others baked on the forward pool, I was cool and comfy.

On 9/19/2019 at 2:32 PM, satxdiver said:

I've been to Hawaii, Panama Canal, Mexico (Sea of Cortez and Mexican Riviera) and never seen the roof open.

On 9/21/2019 at 3:56 AM, skynight said:

The Star has pull up tables in the arms of the theater seats. Handy for a drink or to rest things on before the show.

I hate those little tables. They don't work well with my physique. (I'm too dang fat.)

Good info ,We are looking at the Star for a 10 night Mexico cruise in 2021 from Sam Pedro