NCL first-timer - Embarkation Day Lunch

Auntiejo

Long-time Princess cruiser trying NCL for the first time in November on the Joy to Mexico. What are the options for lunch on embarkation day besides the buffet? Cattle-call buffet lunch & on embarkation day is my worst nightmare! Are there any sit-down options for lunch? If so, which venues and what are the hours? Thanks.

55 minutes ago, Auntiejo said:

Long-time Princess cruiser trying NCL for the first time in November on the Joy to Mexico. What are the options for lunch on embarkation day besides the buffet? Cattle-call buffet lunch & on embarkation day is my worst nightmare! Are there any sit-down options for lunch? If so, which venues and what are the hours? Thanks.

The Local is open for lunch. We head straight there before IT gets busy. The Local is 24 hour restaurant.

The Local/O'sheehans can sometimes be just as busy as the buffet, depending on what time you get on board. In August on the Escape we had lunch in the main dinning room Savor/Taste on the first day and it was fantastic. Great offerings and service, and it was empty!

• Like 1

We go to the main dinning room for lunch on Embarkation Day. On the Star a couple of weeks ago I thought its was open 12-2pm but it could have been 12-1.30 as we were in by 1pm.

If you are too late for the main dining room then O’Sheehans/Local would be the place to go.  Anywhere but the buffet!

Just be aware that the crew will often try to steer you in the direction of the buffet (which is probably why the MDR is often nearly empty).  If you board really early you may have to wait a bit for them to open but it's a much nicer way to start your vacation.

On the Joy (which we are also on in November for the Mexican Riviera) the sit down option will be Savor or Taste based on my experiences on the Escape.  On the smaller ships, they open the Main Dining room and not the smaller dining room, but on both of my sailings on the larger ships it was the smaller dining rooms (Savor/Taste) and not the main dining room (Manhattan on the Escape).

In any event, OP, the staff will be more than willing to direct you.  There will be multiple sit down options with menus and table service on embarkation day for lunch.