Has anyone attempted to use an old coffee card recently?

judyjudy56

I DID use my old cards for brewed after the initial cruise - BUT they punched it each time, just like I was getting a specialty coffee.  I don't like any of the specialty coffees, but love brewed, so this was fine by me.  I never expected free unlimited after the first cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

No ... don't put it to rest just yet!    

I disembarked from the Grand just yesterday and can't say this is a company wide policy but this was my most recent experience.  

I took an an expired coffee card onboard with me at the beginning of the month and asked what their policy was on using old (and expired) coffee cards onboard.  I also explained that if they had to say it was no longer accepted, they would get zero arguments from me.  While I do believe all ships should only provide brewed coffee and not even try to pass off that syrup concentrate off as coffee, I never ever used my coffee card for brewed coffee on subsequent sailings....only for cappuccinos that required a punch.  

Anyway, back to my very recent experience on the Grand Princess .... the staff at the New Grounds coffee shop explained that I could surrender my old card and use the leftover punches throughout the cruise for whichever coffee or tea drink I chose (regular or specialty coffees or teas).  They kept the cards and put a sticker on it with my name, room and folio number.  When I wanted a coffee drink, they would look through their little cup full of cards and punch it like before but it was to remain in their possession and tossed at the end of the cruise.  It was a more than equitable solution, even though it was quite unexpected that they would honor these long after the stated expiration date.  

We used our last punch yesterday morning before disembarking and we were even able to buy a coffee for one of the guest services staff that was so very good to us.  

As stated, I am not sure if this is available on all Princess ships or how long they will continue this policy but it sure was a nice surprise for our sailing.  And again, I wasn't prepared to argue with anyone if this wasn't the case but they seemed happy to report that Princess reconsidered (I am sure after numerous complaints).  From what I could see, there were probably about 20 cards collected in that cup that held the old coffee cards during our recent sailing.  

So, don't throw those old cards away just yet ... it's worth a try.  Please just don't argue your point if the staff is no longer allowed to honor them.  They are not the ones that make the policies.  

I'm interested in knowing which ship, and which employees took the old cards so I can book my next cruise with them.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I DID use my old cards for brewed after the initial cruise - BUT they punched it each time, just like I was getting a specialty coffee.  I don't like any of the specialty coffees, but love brewed, so this was fine by me.  I never expected free unlimited after the first cruise.

We did the same.

On 10/14/2019 at 7:21 PM, compozer said:

agree,

somebody please put it out of it's misery.

If you're tired of reading it, then don't!🙄

But I have a question as it's pertinent to me. 

Have 4 coffee cards:

1...old playing card one (Queen of Steam) with 3 unpunched spots. No expiration date. 

2...New Grounds card with 4 unpunched spots. Says ship name "CB" and voyage date "7011", but I think it was the voyage number because I didn't sail in July, 2011.

3...A completely unused New Grounds card. Says ship name "Regal" and voyage date "1734" which must have been the voyage number. 

4...A completely unused Cafe Selects card. The ship name and voyage date are not filled out. 

My next 2 cruises are a B2B on the Regal (in 11 days) and then on the Island in January and February. Any thoughts on my chances that I can use these 37 punches? This will be my first Princess cruise since all the rules changed...hate to have wasted all this money!  Oh, I don't drink brewed coffee...just lattes or cappuccinos. 

Edited by Go-Bucks!
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

If you're tired of reading it, then don't!🙄

But I have a question as it's pertinent to me. 

Have 4 coffee cards:

1...old playing card one (Queen of Steam) with 3 unpunched spots. No expiration date. 

2...New Grounds card with 4 unpunched spots. Says ship name "CB" and voyage date "7011", but I think it was the voyage number because I didn't sail in July, 2011.

3...A completely unused New Grounds card. Says ship name "Regal" and voyage date "1734" which must have been the voyage number. 

4...A completely unused Cafe Selects card. The ship name and voyage date are not filled out. 

My next 2 cruises are a B2B on the Regal (in 11 days) and then on the Island in January and February. Any thoughts on my chances that I can use these 37 punches? This will be my first Princess cruise since all the rules changed...hate to have wasted all this money!  Oh, I don't drink brewed coffee...just lattes or cappuccinos. 

I think your best bet is to take them on your next cruise(s) and see what they say.  That's what I did and was happy they took my old card.  As in my above post, I had to surrender my card, they kept it there at New Grounds and I was allowed to use up the punches left on it.  I just had to give them my name when I ordered my coffee.  I had about 11 punches left on it and it worked out perfectly for my 10 night cruise.  

I can't say if this is a fleetwide policy or if they will even continue this throughout the year.  It wasn't advertised, I needed to ask and was happy they said I could.  The worst they were going to say is no, so why not give it a shot?  

I’ve given away about 30 cards this year knowing they were going to expire. I always trade our mini bar for 2 coffee cards and Hubs doesn’t drink coffee so I never use all of the cards (yes I know they are electronic now).  I read a post from another thread that said they read where Princess was discontinuing allowing the trade of mini bar for coffee cards. I’ve been on 8 princess cruises this year and have not run into that. Has anyone heard or read that?  Leaving on the Caribbean Princess on the 23rd and planning to trade it out again so just wondering. Thanks!  

Edited by RRFan

13 hours ago, RRFan said:

I’ve given away about 30 cards this year knowing they were going to expire. I always trade our mini bar for 2 coffee cards and Hubs doesn’t drink coffee so I never use all of the cards (yes I know they are electronic now).  I read a post from another thread that said they read where Princess was discontinuing allowing the trade of mini bar for coffee cards. I’ve been on 8 princess cruises this year and have not run into that. Has anyone heard or read that?  Leaving on the Caribbean Princess on the 23rd and planning to trade it out again so just wondering. Thanks!  

Princess, all cruiselines, actually change things so often that it is hard to keep up with the latest but this is what I've heard.  You can still trade in your mini bar in your cabin to  2 electronic coffee cards that expire at the end of the cruise so now, 'use it or lose it' during your cruise is in effect.  Depending on the length of the cruise, it may not be worth your while to trade in your mini bar if your hubs doesn't drink coffee.  You will have 30 specialty coffees to drink during that sailing.  However, if you don't drink any sodas, waters or alcohol, that's the only reasonable trade I could think to make.  I change all my mini alcohol bottles into beer, all my sodas into club soda and I am happy with that trade.  I do have the drink package on my next sailing so will probably just leave the mini bar intact.  Sure wish we were able to turn it in for a photo or two instead.  That would be a great trade for us as we always purchase the embarkation photo.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Princess, all cruiselines, actually change things so often that it is hard to keep up with the latest but this is what I've heard.  You can still trade in your mini bar in your cabin to  2 electronic coffee cards that expire at the end of the cruise so now, 'use it or lose it' during your cruise is in effect.  Depending on the length of the cruise, it may not be worth your while to trade in your mini bar if your hubs doesn't drink coffee.  You will have 30 specialty coffees to drink during that sailing.  However, if you don't drink any sodas, waters or alcohol, that's the only reasonable trade I could think to make.  I change all my mini alcohol bottles into beer, all my sodas into club soda and I am happy with that trade.  I do have the drink package on my next sailing so will probably just leave the mini bar intact.  Sure wish we were able to turn it in for a photo or two instead.  That would be a great trade for us as we always purchase the embarkation photo.  

Thanks Cruise Raider!  We don't drink alcohol and Hubs doesn't drink soda or coffee (he does drink hot specialty teas though), so coffee cards are my best bet.  I'd drink maybe one soda in 2 weeks time and water--well I like the water on board just fine.  I like the photo idea or one meal (2 people) at a specialty restaurant would also be nice.   PCL definitely comes out ahead with us by letting us trade for coffee cards (and not use all of them).  We usually do 2 or more B2B's when we cruise and they just add the 15 new coffees to my card each week.  The IC guys will look at me funny and say, do you know you've got 37 punches left and tomorrow is the last day?  I say yes.  Then why do you buy so many?  It's a long story . . . . . . 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RRFan said:

Thanks Cruise Raider!  We don't drink alcohol and Hubs doesn't drink soda or coffee (he does drink hot specialty teas though), so coffee cards are my best bet.  I'd drink maybe one soda in 2 weeks time and water--well I like the water on board just fine.  I like the photo idea or one meal (2 people) at a specialty restaurant would also be nice.   PCL definitely comes out ahead with us by letting us trade for coffee cards (and not use all of them).  We usually do 2 or more B2B's when we cruise and they just add the 15 new coffees to my card each week.  The IC guys will look at me funny and say, do you know you've got 37 punches left and tomorrow is the last day?  I say yes.  Then why do you buy so many?  It's a long story . . . . . . 🤣

I get it ... 

I also love the specialty dinner option ... even a two for one would be better than nothing.  🙂 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RRFan said:

since you know you will not use the "punches" - why not make new friends when standing in line ???

we gotta come up with a new word for "punches" ... maybe FKAP

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, voljeep said:

since you know you will not use the "punches" - why not make new friends when standing in line ???

We bought one for one of the staff members that was so sweet to us at the passenger services desk.  She was ever so grateful.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I do that too. Haven’t thought to buy one for a crew member. Will remember that!  

8 hours ago, RRFan said:

I do that too. Haven’t thought to buy one for a crew member. Will remember that!  

The crew members also appreciate any leftovers from your minibar if you don't trade it in. On my last two cruises, I've given my leftover sodas and beers to members of the cruise director's staff. 

• Like 1

Just got off the Regal on Saturday.  If you go to Guest Services, they will gladly credit you for the number of unused punches on your old coffee card.  They take your card, write something on the back, ask for your room number and that’s that.  You have the credit on your medallion.  Never saw a charge for any coffee purchase the rest of the cruise.  Didn’t expect them to do it but happy they did.

Just want to add that I loved the cruise.  Food, entertainment, staff all great.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2019 at 1:10 PM, voljeep said:

11 hours ago, judee142 said:

Just got off the Regal on Saturday.  If you go to Guest Services, they will gladly credit you for the number of unused punches on your old coffee card.  They take your card, write something on the back, ask for your room number and that’s that.  You have the credit on your medallion.  Never saw a charge for any coffee purchase the rest of the cruise.  Didn’t expect them to do it but happy they did.

Just want to add that I loved the cruise.  Food, entertainment, staff all great.  

2 questions -

We are cruising with friends who have never cruised on Princess before (they are longtime Celebrity fans who we are trying to convert).

#1 - We are Elite and we have a drink package. Is there any way we could trade in the mini bar for an electronic "coffee card" for them/

#2 - I do have several old coffee cards - can I give them to our friends to take to Guest Services?

12 hours ago, judee142 said:

Interesting. Wish I had kept mine now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, purpledew said:

Hello, I'm cruising on Nov 16th.  will like to have your card.

Thank You,

I thought the cards were not transferrable.  Has the generosity of Princess to offer a sort of compromise spawned a new way to cheat the line?  I thought the people who justified cheating and stealing by pointing to the coffee cards issue would have been happy, but no, they only want to figure out another way to cheat Princess.  Keep an eye on eBay as those cards are going to start showing up again...  Don't forget to smile at them as you pass by their empty poolside lounger with their unread book 'reserving the spot'...

On 10/15/2019 at 10:57 PM, RRFan said:

On 10/16/2019 at 12:44 PM, Cruise Raider said:

On 10/16/2019 at 2:00 PM, RRFan said:

4 hours ago, chamima said:

2 questions -

We are cruising with friends who have never cruised on Princess before (they are longtime Celebrity fans who we are trying to convert).

#1 - We are Elite and we have a drink package. Is there any way we could trade in the mini bar for an electronic "coffee card" for them/

#2 - I do have several old coffee cards - can I give them to our friends to take to Guest Services?

I am interested in knowing if any Elites have given one of the coffee packages to a fellow cruiser as opposed to their cabin-mate (as in @chamima's question).  The Elite member gets TWO packages and cannot possibly use them all up in one cruise and they both expire end of cruise now.  I am sure in most cases, the cabin-mate gets the second package.  But what if that person has no use for coffee/tea? 

Could the Elite member ask for the second package to be given to a friend they are cruising with?  It certainly would have been possible to give anyone the old paper card.  Does the friend have to also be Elite?

I am thinking out of the box a bit here as we could not use more than one card between wife and I (I would use the "punches" to get a occasional drink and she would use the free coffees as "punches" can be shared).  So, we could exchange for coffee packages and give one of them to our friends in another cabin.  They could swap their mini-bar for beer and Perrier (for example) and then give us half the beer and Perrier while we give them one coffee package.  (It is really unfortunate that Princess won't accept exactly 50% of the mini-bar contents for ONE coffee package). 

Just trying to figure out what is allowed and not looking to game things by getting more than deserve. 

2 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

I am interested in knowing if any Elites have given one of the coffee packages to a fellow cruiser as opposed to their cabin-mate (as in @chamima's question).  The Elite member gets TWO packages and cannot possibly use them all up in one cruise and they both expire end of cruise now.  I am sure in most cases, the cabin-mate gets the second package.  But what if that person has no use for coffee/tea? 

Could the Elite member ask for the second package to be given to a friend they are cruising with? 

It certainly would have been possible to give anyone the old paper card. 

Does the friend have to also be Elite?

Just trying to figure out what is allowed and not looking to game things by getting more than deserve. 

On our last cruise I gave away three totally unused paper cards to three nice total strangers we met while on the cruise.

We also had a drink package on that cruise and I knew the cards wouldn't be good after August and couldn't see just throwing them out.

(As I sat near people and heard them order a specialty coffee - I offered them the cards. Met three really nice people that way. 😀)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, judee142 said:

Thanks. We'll give it a try.

It can't hurt.