I can't say I collect the contemporary paper copies. I do take pictures of the posted menus. (Carnival and Princess post copies next to the dining rooms.) It was interesting to recently discover that Coral Princess and Caribbean Princess have old P&O menus displayed in their Wheelhouse Bars. (I took photos of those, too!) I think in those days, the menu was intended as more of a souvenir of the voyage than it is now. The name of the ship and more was printed on it, especially if it was gala dinner. Now they carry  just the name of the cruise line. I don't know what the dining room staff would say if one asked to take a souvenir menu.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I do.  For some time, I tried to get every MDR dinner menu for each evening.  I have many.  Recently, I have been taking photos of the dinner menus (or of other meals as well from time to time).  On my most recent cruises on Princess and HAL to/from Alaska, I collected the dinner menus in order to provide more information to a friend considering an Alaska cruise in 2020, but on which Line.

I enjoy reviewing them in conjunction with my journal.  

As a collector of maritime memorabilia, I also have other menus that are now "historic".  I enjoy being a collector of such.

• 11 months later...

I collect menus, I have maybe a little over 150 menus from various lines:

Holland America Line:  Statendam 1962, Nieuw Amsterdam 1970, Veendam 1984

Cunard: Ivernia 1961, Lancastria 1939, Queen Mary Gala Dinner 1958

Matson: Matsonia 1960, Monterey 1976

Grace Line: Santa Paula 1963

Home Lines: Oceanic 1971, Homeric 1988

Italian Line: Andrea Doria 1953, Michelangelo 1967

Sitmar: Fairwind 1977

French Line: France 1972

Alaska Steamship Lines: All Ships 1941

P&O: Canberra 1965, Oronsay 1966

Greek Line: Queen Anna Maria 1967

Royal Caribbean: All Fleet Souvenir Menus In Folder *unsure of year*

MSC: All Fleet Breakfast Menu

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I sailed on Monterey in September, 1977.  She was a Pacific Far East Line vessel at that time.  

oops lol ty for fixing that for me, ill fix my post. One of my favorite menus is an *Error Nieuw Amsterdam* menu, the error is that when you open it up, the menu is both *upside down and on the wrong side* the ship's name and date and such are upside down inside the back cover and the menu part is upside down on the inside of the front cover. i'll post a photo of the error menu. See note after photoerror_nieuw_amsterdam_menu.thumb.jpg.02a45f9bdd64e15c20097fa770de57ee.jpg

*Arrow is pointing to what appear as lines on the menu, but is actually the indentation of the cover which is an embossed illustration on the cover of the menu, and that's the side the upside down menu is printed on, not the inside of the back cover where it should be. I thought might find an *error menu* interesting to see

Edited by norboy76
change in post
  • 4 months later...

Thanks to this post, I discovered that I have more menus than I thought!  And they are among my favorite ship items, allowing me to see the differences in foods over the years.

-Berengaria, 1920's (re-printed as a greeting card, never opened)

-SS United States, 1950's

-Rotterdam, 1965 & 1966

-Cap Vilano, 1969 (freighter, German cuisine.  Lunch was fixed, two choices for dinner.)

-Norway, 1996 Gala Dinner

-Caronia, 2000 "Introductory Event"

Celery or carrot sticks for appetizer, anyone?

On 1/7/2021 at 3:23 PM, shipgeeks said:

Celery or carrot sticks for appetizer, anyone?

I do remember when small dishes of such were on the table when I arrived.  They can still be requested along with olives, etc.  

• 4 months later...

I took some photos of my nice collections adding which ship and the year they're from. Enjoy the photos. The one photo I didn't put a date to, showing a group of 4 menus, they are from 1960 from the Matsonia. I have to include this one photo I took for a *Breakfast* menu from the Michelangelo and see what you think, note the foods inside the black lines *the lines are not on the actual menu* and tell me that food isn't kinda *heavy* for a breakfast lol as some of the breakfast items included: Mutton, Lamb Chops, Minute Steak, Filet Mignon, Liver, Mashed or Fried or Roasted Potatoes, Loin Of Veal, Roast Turkey, Spring Chicken On The Spit.

d8ssngy-9acb1c54-15c5-46b2-a28b-ce52ae9846a6.jpg

french_line_france_menus_by_wildelf34_ddck7wt-pre.jpg

ss_michelangelo_menus_by_wildelf34_ddckb8l-pre.jpg

ss_monterey_menus_by_wildelf34_ddckds9-pre.jpg

ss_nieuw_amsterdam_menus_by_wildelf34_ddclvxc-pre.jpg

ss_statendam_menus_by_wildelf34_ddclwf1-pre.jpg

tss_fairwind_menus_by_wildelf34_ddckc4o-pre.jpg

ddcr8hx-d407895b-2bde-486f-8019-7be2e134ab86.jpg

Your Michelangelo menu obviously is from First Class.  So many offerings and so many that sound delicious and tempting.  Scrambled Eggs Cacciatoria:  what must those have been like?  Sounds good---and different!  Baked Pears?  I don't ever recall seeing that being available even on a Cunard First Class menu.  Italian Coffee?  Would that be Espresso?  

As to the items you highlighted:  Minute Steak, Sauteed Potatoes, and Eggs your style would not be an uncommon breakfast item that some still order.  The other items?  I wonder how many passengers actually ordered many or any of them.  

Oh, how I wish I could have sailed on the Italian Line!  

Matson always produced beautiful menu covers, works of art themselves.  

I sailed on S. S. Monterey in September, 1977 and was pleased to see that Pacific Far East Line continued the beautiful menu covers that Matson had used.  Once I had a complete set for my 3 cruises on the Monterey, but lost them.  The Monterey was a darn good ship.

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Your Michelangelo menu obviously is from First Class.  So many offerings and so many that sound delicious and tempting.  Scrambled Eggs Cacciatoria:  what must those have been like?  Sounds good---and different!  Baked Pears?  I don't ever recall seeing that being available even on a Cunard First Class menu.  Italian Coffee?  Would that be Espresso?  

As to the items you highlighted:  Minute Steak, Sauteed Potatoes, and Eggs your style would not be an uncommon breakfast item that some still order.  The other items?  I wonder how many passengers actually ordered many or any of them.  

Oh, how I wish I could have sailed on the Italian Line!  

Matson always produced beautiful menu covers, works of art themselves.  

I sailed on S. S. Monterey in September, 1977 and was pleased to see that Pacific Far East Line continued the beautiful menu covers that Matson had used.  Once I had a complete set for my 3 cruises on the Monterey, but lost them.  The Monterey was a darn good ship.

Yes, they are all from First Class, it is a collection of *30* Michelangelo menus all from the same year covering different meals such as Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Gala, Farewell Dinner and Captain's Dinner. One thing I love is their Italian Renaissance art covers.