Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
marden08

Skyroam Hotspot

I am interested in hearing from members who have used the Skyroam Hotspot while cruising. I have been researching it today and have read very mixed reviews - some glowing and some dreadful.

Usually I take my own MiFi device and international sim cards with me but end up getting very frustrated when they don't work. I understand that none of these options work while out at sea and that we need to be in range of phone towers. I am thinking the Skyroam looks like a simpler option. One thing I do have trouble with is sending emails when overseas with other sim cards - I wonder how the Skyroam compares?  

I am only looking for data - do not need to make phone calls or send texts.  Australian telco prices and roaming plans are exorbitant so this is not an option. We don't use the internet a lot while away but do want to have access for sending emails, researching ports, uploading some photos to Facebook etc, so please don't suggest leaving the phone off - it is also not an option. I don't like using free WiFi except as a last resort and ship's internet is also exorbitant. 

Any information gratefully received!

I'm not familiar with Skyroam Hotspot but I just have to ask, what is Skyroam's (or any hotspot's) link to the outside world? That should provide some kind of an answer to your question.

On a cruise, it will be through the ship's wifi or cellular service (through satellite).

Unless you have your own satellite connection, you will be at the mercy of the cruise ship's offerings for their passengers.

Edited by TinCan782

5 hours ago, TinCan782 said:

I'm not familiar with Skyroam Hotspot but I just have to ask, what is Skyroam's (or any hotspot's) link to the outside world? That should provide some kind of an answer to your question.

On a cruise, it will be through the ship's wifi or cellular service (through satellite).

Unless you have your own satellite connection, you will be at the mercy of the cruise ship's offerings for their passengers.

Hi TinCan782 - it won't work out to sea and I understand that - but while in port it should cover our needs. I am not keen to use free WiFi and the risks associated with that when in port.