Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
dbrown84

Recent ocean blue offerings

Recommended Posts

I will be broken hearted if they don't have the crab on the Escape, it has been so good. Also I was on Breakaway earlier this year and their Ocean Blue was not as good as on the Escape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks for the update.

 

I’ve only eaten the Ocean Blue Surf and Turf once, and it was very good. I’ll keep an eye out for others on the ship who order it.

 

I noticed on the Escape, I was able to eat in LeBistro with shorts.  That used to be a “long pants” venue, too.  I wasn’t in the Haven, either.

 

So, sounds like NCL is really loosening dress requirements in the other Specialty Dining Restaurants, too.  

 

I applaud that!

I guess it is a matter of opinion as to whether loosening up is good or bad. My opinion is totally different from yours. I think it also depends on the ship. Some are still requiring long pants in Le Bistro and Manhattan room. I am not a "let's dress up" freak and I love packing light, but that doesn't mean shorts everywhere. One of 2 nights on a 7 night cruise long pants is enjoyable. But that still isn't what the OP asked. Sorry to high jack the tread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, allyfrizzle said:

Wait, is Ocean Blue included in SDP? Is there an upcharge?

It was added sometime in the last 6 months. I don't remember when but I am super excited. We will be going there in just about 3 weeks. No upcharge either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, allyfrizzle said:

Wait, is Ocean Blue included in SDP? Is there an upcharge?

It was added sometime in the last 6 months. I don't remember when but I am super excited. We will be going there in just about 3 weeks. No upcharge either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

I guess it is a matter of opinion as to whether loosening up is good or bad. My opinion is totally different from yours. I think it also depends on the ship. Some are still requiring long pants in Le Bistro and Manhattan room. I am not a "let's dress up" freak and I love packing light, but that doesn't mean shorts everywhere. One of 2 nights on a 7 night cruise long pants is enjoyable. But that still isn't what the OP asked. Sorry to high jack the tread. 

I have no issues with those who want to dress up.  

 

On another cruise line thread, one poster attempted to “dress shame me”!  A person said that I was background for their dress up evening.  And, since I wasn’t at least wearing a suit, I was ruining their evening and that I had no class.

 

I laughed at that!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I have no issues with those who want to dress up.  

 

On another cruise line thread, one poster attempted to “dress shame me”!  A person said that I was background for their dress up evening.  And, since I wasn’t at least wearing a suit, I was ruining their evening and that I had no class.

 

I laughed at that!  

Hay, I know how you feel even thought I think it is nice for a few restaurants to have and enforce a mild dress code: certainly not suits anymore. We also had an experience like you are talking about. ON Princess about 5 years ago we decided not to bring any cloths even resembling formal. so the first formal optional night we choose to dress in casual attire, but not shorts. We did have nice long pants and hubby was wearing a polo shirt. We felt so out of place we headed right up to the buffet for dinner There were actually several men, at the buffet mind you, wearing tux Of course the well dressed ladies were in long dresses or at least after 5 attire. I guess, like you, we have no class. Or better, hubby wore suits and ties to work every day for almost 40 years. We also cruised in the days when we had to lug all that dress up stuff with us on cruises.

 

Now it is nice to just pack and go. We are going to try to get by on our next cruise with just carry on luggage. It is a 7 dayer, we are both Plat Plus so we get 2 laundry bags. Why not keep everything down to a min. Hubby will still take a pair of long pants and probably a sport shirt for Le Bistro and the Manhattan room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

It was added sometime in the last 6 months. I don't remember when but I am super excited. We will be going there in just about 3 weeks. No upcharge either. 

I made a reservation for next Saturday on the Breakaway 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, allyfrizzle said:

I made a reservation for next Saturday on the Breakaway 🙂

Let us know as soon as you get back what you thought.  And do have a wonderful cruise!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last couple of cruises I packed only a roll aboard carryon and a backpack.  Worked great and won’t pack suits, ties, dress shoes, etc ever again.  It’s so much easier to travel with just a roll aboard and backpack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ocean Blue was very good on the Breakaway  when we got to the Bliss is was very poor.  Going on the Encore shortly   right now not sure if I will be trying Ocean Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 2:35 PM, dpepper64 said:

Ocean Blue was very good on the Breakaway  when we got to the Bliss is was very poor.  Going on the Encore shortly   right now not sure if I will be trying Ocean Blue

Was thinking of changing my Italian reservation to Ocean Blue now that the upcharge is gone, until reading this. Am going on Bliss; what was ‘very poor’ about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Service was great on the Bliss.  I guess the menu had changed so much from the Getaway vs the Bliss I did not find the right thing for me to eat on the Bliss.  I would wait and see the menu before deciding.  We are on the Encore  (first out of Miami) that we are going to wait and see the menu before deciding to go or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ocean Blue on the Breakaway was by far the best food and best service.  This is not to say that at any meal we had bad service or food, Ocean Blue was superior.  Only issue was it was a long dinner.  Plan accordingly.  They did ask us the first time if we had show tickets so I guess they would have sped things up a bit.  Truthfully, my wife and I rush a lot normally so the relaxed dinner was nice.  The wine service was exceptional as well and it was part of the free liquor package.  Better than a 5 star experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...