Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mds556

Deciding between Harmony and Allure

Recommended Posts

Hello all!  We are starting to plan out next cruise. Both Harmony and Allure have cruises that go out on January 3, 2021.  The one on Harmony goes to St. Kitts, St. Thomas, and Coco Cay.

The one on Allure goes to Coco Cay, St. Maarten, and San Juan. We would be picking an inside cabin with no view.  I know that the ships are pretty close to the same, and that Allure will be getting updated before we go, but are the shows and food about the same also?  Looking at the deck plans Allure's inside cabins might be smaller. (but not a deal breaker)

We have always managed to do Western Caribbean, so this will be our first Eastern Caribbean, and I'm not sure which itinerary is best for us.  I have looked at the excursions, and again about the same for the things we would enjoy.  Prices are pretty comparable on either as well.  So I am looking for some opinions. Ultimately I know it is our decision, but some opinions will help us weigh the good and bad, pros and cons. Thanks!

Edited by mds556

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that you have already done the comparison yourself.

 

How about looking at access to the ship?  Which port would be more convenient for you as a port of embarkation, Miami or Port Canaveral, i.e., Orlando?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mds556 said:

So I am looking for some opinions.

Take the one with the better value on an Eastern itinerary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would research the ports and pick the ones you think you'll like best.  St. Kitts, St Thomas, St Martin and San Juan are all nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both ships are great!  If I were you, either pick your preferred itinerary, or the cheapest 🙂  Note, I LOVE St Kitts, so I would pick that one 🙂

Edited by vacationlover_mn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have sailed both and would book Harmony over Allure.  I like the new style of cabin furnishings on Harmony over those on Allure.  I also like Mini Bites over Wipe Out Cafe for our omelets at breakfast.  I wouldn't hesitate to book Allure again but given the choice, would go Harmony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My preference would be Allure. I like the pool in the Solarium. (no Solarium pool on Harmony). I enjoyed Mamma Mia more than Grease.  As far as the ports, how important are they to you? Been to them all and thought st. Kitts was lovely but thought st. Thomas was a little underwhelming with excursions.

Enjoyed walking Old San Juan in P.R. and visiting the Forts. 

Last time we visited st. Maarten they were still dealing with hurricane damage, but so was st. Thomas.

They are both great ships Harmony is a little more updated but that wouldn't stop me from booking Allure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ships are close to identical except for Solarium design, the musical, and a couple of dining options.  Harder to get to the port for Harmony.  Harmony is slightly newer, so tends to be more expensive. 

 

You really need to check the port boards and see which have things you would prefer to do.  Also check ship excursions and tour consolidators like ShoreExcursioneer and ShoreExcursionsGroup for what are generally offered.  All have been hit by hurricanes and are rebuilding (French side St Martin is still in bad shape) and need your tourist dollars.  We like them all; Sant Maarten, St Thomas, St Kitts, San Juan in descending order of preference.  If you decide to go to San Juan and have a National Parks pass, take it for fort entry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've sailed both, and while both are great, Harmony edges out the Allure for food and service in my opinion! 

Happy Planning!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Ships are close to identical except for Solarium design, the musical, and a couple of dining options.  Harder to get to the port for Harmony.  Harmony is slightly newer, so tends to be more expensive. 

 

You really need to check the port boards and see which have things you would prefer to do.  Also check ship excursions and tour consolidators like ShoreExcursioneer and ShoreExcursionsGroup for what are generally offered.  All have been hit by hurricanes and are rebuilding (French side St Martin is still in bad shape) and need your tourist dollars.  We like them all; Sant Maarten, St Thomas, St Kitts, San Juan in descending order of preference.  If you decide to go to San Juan and have a National Parks pass, take it for fort entry.

 

Oasis and Allure might be close to identical, but not Harmony and Allure.  The pool deck alone is completely different.  The entertainment neighborhood is very different.  Diamond Lounge is a huge difference.  Harmony has the two wardrobes in the balcony cabins (maybe other cabins too) instead of the closet that was hard to get to because of the bed or the sofa.  Showers are the larger ones with the glass door, not the beam me up Scottie capsules.  Many, many differences in these two ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

Oasis and Allure might be close to identical, but not Harmony and Allure.  The pool deck alone is completely different.  The entertainment neighborhood is very different.  Diamond Lounge is a huge difference.  Harmony has the two wardrobes in the balcony cabins (maybe other cabins too) instead of the closet that was hard to get to because of the bed or the sofa.  Showers are the larger ones with the glass door, not the beam me up Scottie capsules.  Many, many differences in these two ships.

 

Pretty sure OP is considering Allure post drydock, so Deck 4 and DL should be quite similar. Same goes for pool deck. 

Edited by John&LaLa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got off of harmony and have been on Allure twice. Harmony would be my choice without a doubt. Harmony is now my fav RCCL ship. Best balcony cabin I’ve ever had. Excellent storage and cabin layout. It felt the least cramped of any balcony cabin I’ve ever had. The shower was by far the nicest I’ve ever experienced on any ship. The Harmony dining room dinner food was the best I’ve ever experienced. Food was always hot and very good. We also experienced excellent service in the dining room but that was the luck of the draw to get two excellent waiters. The ice show was excellent as was the water show. We did get to see the debut of their new water show.

Edited by Artemus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Artemus said:

I just got off of harmony and have been on Allure twice. We did get to see the debut of their new water show.

 

What's new for a water show?

Fine Line and Hideaway Heist were still playing last month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have not been on the Allure, but I just got off the Harmony and it was an amazing ship. Can’t wait to go back. As far as ports of call, Saint kits is really nice, I liked it better than San Juan, and I like St. Thomas better than Saint Martin. Of course, we had a really amazing experience with a tour operator in Saint Thomas, so it could just be my fond memories talking, but I really thought it was a neat port. 

 

 I’m not quite sure why anyone would say that Port Canaveral is more difficult to get to. Of course I’m a local, but it seems ridiculously easy. Our traffic is practically nonexistent.  Maybe they’re talking about by air? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are currently on Harmony.  If I had to choose a cruise based on ship alone, I would choose Allure.  We have stayed in CP cabins on both Oasis and Allure and don’t recall them being this noisy. Constant noise from the pool areas throughout the day.  Also, no pool in the Solarium, although there is an adult pool across from the kids area. 

 

I just feel  like the other two ships have a friendlier atmosphere than Harmony. 

 

Sherri

Edited by sjb317

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that the ships are similar (we have sailed on both within the past year) pic the itinerary you think best. We like St Maarten, so that would be our pick (over St Thomas). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

How about looking at access to the ship?  Which port would be more convenient for you as a port of embarkation, Miami or Port Canaveral, i.e., Orlando?

 

I agree - if you're flying down I would find some great nonstop air and pick whichever applies to that one! So much less hassle for those who can't just drive over to the port.

 

I realize 2021 is too far out for air schedules but look at January 2020 to at least get an idea. Just remembering friends we sailed with one time who had three connections to get back home, and they were really not looking forward to that post cruise - especially since it was winter and they had to worry about cancellations of any of those 3 flights LOL.

 

Otherwise my choice would be Harmony, though you really can't make a bad decision - both are wonderful :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2019 at 10:09 AM, mds556 said:

Hello all!  We are starting to plan out next cruise. Both Harmony and Allure have cruises that go out on January 3, 2021.  The one on Harmony goes to St. Kitts, St. Thomas, and Coco Cay.

The one on Allure goes to Coco Cay, St. Maarten, and San Juan. We would be picking an inside cabin with no view.  I know that the ships are pretty close to the same, and that Allure will be getting updated before we go, but are the shows and food about the same also?  Looking at the deck plans Allure's inside cabins might be smaller. (but not a deal breaker)

We have always managed to do Western Caribbean, so this will be our first Eastern Caribbean, and I'm not sure which itinerary is best for us.  I have looked at the excursions, and again about the same for the things we would enjoy.  Prices are pretty comparable on either as well.  So I am looking for some opinions. Ultimately I know it is our decision, but some opinions will help us weigh the good and bad, pros and cons. Thanks!

Anything but the Allure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, amzgirl said:

 I have not been on the Allure, but I just got off the Harmony and it was an amazing ship. Can’t wait to go back. As far as ports of call, Saint kits is really nice, I liked it better than San Juan, and I like St. Thomas better than Saint Martin. Of course, we had a really amazing experience with a tour operator in Saint Thomas, so it could just be my fond memories talking, but I really thought it was a neat port. 

 

 I’m not quite sure why anyone would say that Port Canaveral is more difficult to get to. Of course I’m a local, but it seems ridiculously easy. Our traffic is practically nonexistent.  Maybe they’re talking about by air? 

Airport isn't as convenient or close for Port Canaveral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better Ports are St, Kitts and St, Thomas, would be an easy pick for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:23 PM, Artemus said:

I just got off of harmony and have been on Allure twice. Harmony would be my choice without a doubt. Harmony is now my fav RCCL ship. Best balcony cabin I’ve ever had. Excellent storage and cabin layout. It felt the least cramped of any balcony cabin I’ve ever had. The shower was by far the nicest I’ve ever experienced on any ship. The Harmony dining room dinner food was the best I’ve ever experienced. Food was always hot and very good. We also experienced excellent service in the dining room but that was the luck of the draw to get two excellent waiters. The ice show was excellent as was the water show. We did get to see the debut of their new water show.

 

Agree with everything you just said!  We just experienced the best food and servers ever on the Harmony (The Grande) main dining room!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would pick Allure over Harmony, even before dry dock. Don't get me wrong, I liked the harmony just fine - but my biggest complaint was lack of sweet snacks on the Harmony.  No Ben & Jerry's.  No  cupcake shop.  The cafe promenade usually had pound cake and chocolate bars.    No bar in the center of the boardwalk for Margaritas.   That being said, I'd take St.Kitt's over San Juan any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for your opinions, we decided on Harmony. Now the waiting begins.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For us less expensive flights, more flights, less expensive lodging (great value for the price) all available in Orlando is why we went for the Harmony rather than one of the other large RCCL ships.  I'm sure not a big deal to most cruisers,  but we with this port can also fit in a day at the Magic Kingdom and spend and evening and have dinner with a relative (who we really enjoy seeing) who lives in Orlando, some more big pluses.  // I'm sure it depends on where you live, but from our home city it's way more expensive and a much bigger hassle to fly into Fort Lauderdale or Miami.  I love being able to fly into Orlando (MCO).  That made picking the Harmony an absolute no brainer for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve been on both in the last 2 months and would take Allure, hands down.  Staff seemed much friendlier and helpful and elevators actually worked.  They were horrible on Harmony last week.  It’s also cheaper to fly in and get to the port in Ft Lauderdale.  

 

If you're a casino person, Allure gets the edge.  Never saw a host or manager on Harmony.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...