Cruise Critic Community
herdcruiser

Priority Boarding

My wife and I will become Platinum on our 12 day cruise from Barcelona in May 2020 so we will have priority boarding for that sailing. My daughter and her family will be traveling with us but they will not have priority boarding. If their reservation is tied to ours and showing traveling with us will they be able to have priority boarding with us?

No.  You have priority status.  They do not.

Unless you are all in one stateroom - which it appears not to be the case since you mention "reservation tied to".

4 minutes ago, herdcruiser said:

My wife and I will become Platinum on our 12 day cruise from Barcelona in May 2020 so we will have priority boarding for that sailing. My daughter and her family will be traveling with us but they will not have priority boarding. If their reservation is tied to ours and showing traveling with us will they be able to have priority boarding with us?

Generally speaking, no.

In my experience, Carnival used to be somewhat lax about this, but in recent years seems to have tightened the reins.  From what I've personally experienced as well as seen/read, Carnival will now ask for your daughter and her family to go through the normal embarkation process apart from you and the priority process.

Of course, you can always elect to board with them, if boarding at the same time is important to you.

Others may have different experiences, but I believe the above to be accurate.

Garnett

The ship will be sailing in/from Europe.  We have no reports that I have seen saying whether they have staggered checkin/boarding in Europe.  Linking your bookings is only for dining.  EM

1 hour ago, herdcruiser said:

If FTTF is purchased for your family, they will be able to check in at the same time as you. The only delay for you in boarding with them is waiting for the Diamonds and Platinums to board before the FTTFs are called. Otherwise your only option to board is checking in at the time your family’s allowed to check in. 

As others have stated, they won’t get priority boarding. However, there is a work around that is allowed per Carnival’s rules. If you book two cabins (not sure how many you need) with your wife in one cabin and you in the other cabin, everyone will get priority boarding.  Once you are on the ship, you can switch cabins as desired.  The only downfall to doing this is it could possibly negatively impact buying Cheers depending on your situation. 

4 hours ago, herdcruiser said:

No,   they would need to purchase FTTF     you can board with them in the regular line     

16 minutes ago, serene56 said:

No,   they would need to purchase FTTF     you can board with them in the regular line     

Purchasing FTTF would still not let them board together, at least at Florida terminals. The waiting area for priority passengers (D, P, suites) is not co-located with the FTTF area. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Purchasing FTTF would still not let them board together, at least at Florida terminals. They waiting area for priority passengers (D, P, suites) is not co-located with the FTTF area. 

Bingo!!!

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Purchasing FTTF would still not let them board together, at least at Florida terminals. The waiting area for priority passengers (D, P, suites) is not co-located with the FTTF area. 

Guess I never waited. We arrive about 11:15  and check in and boarding is usually started 

The OP is leaving from Barcelona. There is no FTTF in Europe. So it’s a moot point.

Faster to the Fun is not offered on Carnival Journeys departures, cruises in Europe, nor on cruises from the following home ports: Honolulu, Norfolk, Vancouver, San Diego and San Francisco. It will be offered on the Carnival Panorama, starting with departures in February 2020, Carnival Radiance, starting with departures in January 2021 and Mardi Gras, starting in 2021 (date to be determined).

Yes. I have done it with my adult kids for the last ten years. I have never been told no. 

2 hours ago, rhinomike said:

Yes. I have done it with my adult kids for the last ten years. I have never been told no. 

So you'll already know why the next time VIPF benefits get cut and you get demoted to Gold.

10 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

So you'll already know why the next time VIPF benefits get cut and you get demoted to Gold.

We were told by our Carnival rep (that we have been working with for 15 years) that it is within the rules if the other cabin is on your account and utilizing your credit card for their sail and sign account. So yeah we do it and have never had an issue. 

7 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

We were told by our Carnival rep (that we have been working with for 15 years) that it is within the rules if the other cabin is on your account and utilizing your credit card for their sail and sign account. So yeah we do it and have never had an issue. 

That won’t work at ports in Florida unless you are talking about kids in a separate cabin. 

7 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

Well now you just threw an orange into a basket of apples 😵 with the statement "on your account and utilizing your credit card"

3 hours ago, rhinomike said:

That loophole went away several years ago.