Suggestion for Half Moon Cay

whitford

Our family has done the snorkel with the rays and horseback riding.  Other times we’ve just relaxed on the gorgeous beach & use our own snorkel gear to look for the resident octopus-the snorkeling isn’t great there, fyi, but we just love being in the water.  

Go for long walks/hikes......

We like to walk the entire beach to the rocks where you cannot go further.  Also, there are a couple of trails that lead to the lagoon side and to the stingray area.   

Have fun exploring....it's paradise defined.

• Like 1

We also enjoyed the jet ski in the lagoon and ocean. Excellent walk down to the marina. They do offer transportation if you don’t want to walk. Horseback riding was fun but abit nerve racking when you went into the ocean so the horses could swim. It’s a wonderful Island. 

The beach has powder fine sand (imported) and visibility close in for snorkeling is pretty modest.  By the hard structure closer to the tender port area there was more to sea, but not the best beach to snorkel off of.

Great place to just kick back and   r e l a x   on the beach!   

• Like 1

We always rent a clamshell shade. Swim, Walk, Have Lunch, then leisurely head back  to the ship. A lot of our friends stay on the ship, but the beach is so wonderful, you would be missing out on the beauty. Have a $13 pina colada. 25% tax on drinks when on the island. Relax, you are on vacation. 

2 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Watching the world go by in the I Wish I Could Stay Here Forever bar.

Me too, with a Pina Colada being drunk.  I enjoy walking around the island, walking on the beach--maybe wading into the water as well.  The BBQ lunch?  I may partake if I want that type of food or I may decide to return to the ship for a more "civilized" lunch.  It depends on my mood.  I will also spend a few minutes in the Chapel on the island thanking God for allowing me to return once more to Half Moon Cay and being able to take another cruise.

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 4

It’s great. We took a hike in the morning when it is cool, then we had some beach time and finally a late afternoon glass bottom boat.  All were great.  Besides the clamshells and other shelters they also rent a wide variety of beach toys. Next time I am renting a water trike.  

If you're active, there are a multitude of excursions you can enjoy such as snorkel, jet skis, and horseback riding.  (If you bring your own snorkel, you can explore on your own without charge.)  Be advised that if the weather is on the cool side or the surf is rough (not sure when you're going), the guides may cancel the part where the horses go into the water.  In this case, you'll have an extended time on land.  Likewise, if the winds are severe, so severe the captain may have trouble keeping the ship in position, he may opt to cancel this port.  HAL has plans to build a pier, so once it is finished, the odds of cancelling this port may diminish considerably.  

As others have said, you can do a self-guided tour of the island, walking on some of the paths.  We've done that a number of times, and it never gets old.  Just sitting on the beach (lots of free chairs in the shade, if you prefer) with your toes in that talcum-powder sand is a lovely experience.  Recently, HAL added a lobster shack (costs extra), giving passengers another option for lunch.  The bar-b-que is okay with hamburger, hot dogs, several salads, fresh fruit, and usually brownies for dessert.  We've done it so many times that we prefer to go back to the ship.  Since this is your first time, try the bar-be-que at least once.

Enjoy your cruise and your day at HMC.

I book jet skiing ahead, you can find this under the shore excursions for Half Moon Cay.

can you book ‘tis excursion on the island, yes if there are spaces available you can, but if its something you really want to do, book on line, soooo much fun.  Enjoy!!!!!!

Edited by doone

For some of us, the incredible beauty of the place along with a few good drinks and a comfortable chair make a most rewarding day.

We go ashore in the morning...sometimes stay ashore through lunch....sometimes come back to the ship for lunch.

Whatever your plan, it is a magnificent place.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Imported sand.  😂

Can you imagine how many barges and decades it would take to dump all that sand in the water around the island?  Too funny.

The visual is great but it is usually done by dredging.  I am originally from south Louisiana and I have watched the operation in process 

The "imported" was the term used by the locals on the island when I was asking about it.  <shrug> 

It definitely is powder fine and much different than the sand I've seen in my (limited) experience around the other islands in the Bahamas.  It makes the water near the beach murkier than at CocoCay and Princess Cays.

On 9/20/2019 at 5:15 PM, john2003 said:

I never knew the sand was imported. Thats a lot of sand. 

I thought the luscious  white powder  sand was  the product of much dredging?

Edited by sail7seas

I am NOT a beach person, but LOVE Half Moon Cay!!

I've had skin cancer, so baking in the sun all day is not my thing   But Half Moon is my exception.    I think the beach and water are perfect.