Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
cjbx

San Pedro to San Diego

Our next cruise ends in San Pedro, CA. Instead of going to LA we we rather go to San Diego, stay for a few nights, then fly home from there.

Has anyone either rented a car or hired one to take this trip? If so, was it economical?

My initial search shows that airfare to San Diego from Long Beach is quite expensive and takes hours, since there is usually a stop in Phoenix ( of all places) on the way.

17 minutes ago, cjbx said:

Our next cruise ends in San Pedro, CA. Instead of going to LA we we rather go to San Diego, stay for a few nights, then fly home from there.

Has anyone either rented a car or hired one to take this trip? If so, was it economical?

My initial search shows that airfare to San Diego from Long Beach is quite expensive and takes hours, since there is usually a stop in Phoenix ( of all places) on the way.

LA based here, so my recommendation is that you rent a car out of San Pedro/Long Beach and drive to San Diego. 

On a good day, that should only be about a 90-minute ride. With traffic, maybe closer to 2 hours. 

Flying to San Diego from Long Beach isn't worth it, considering they are so close to one another. It would be like flying from JFK to Newark. 

I agree.  In this situation, it is definitely better to rent a car.  There are some trains that go to San Diego; however, the pick-up point would be Union Station in Downtown Los Angeles.  It would be best just to rent a car.

You’re going to need a car in San Diego anyway...I’d recommend just renting a car.

3 hours ago, tlc1972 said:

LA based here, so my recommendation is that you rent a car out of San Pedro/Long Beach and drive to San Diego. 

On a good day, that should only be about a 90-minute ride. With traffic, maybe closer to 2 hours. 

Flying to San Diego from Long Beach isn't worth it, considering they are so close to one another. It would be like flying from JFK to Newark. 

agree with renting car.  Also, agree with 2 hour+ drive time.  Just did this drive. You will be glad you have car to see San Diego/LaJolla area.

I guess we are all in agreement: rent a car, have a few fun days and fly home home from San Diego. The drive time should be from 90 minutes to a few hours.. If it is a weekend and not a busy one,  90 minutes should be about right. Have a great cruise and enjoy San Diego. 

And if not in a hurry, stay on the coast highway driving down.  Much nicer than the San Diego Freeway.  However, is slow going through all the little communities.   

Rented a car from LAX to San Diego to pick up a cruise. Drive was not bad. Would do that again.  

Mary Ann