euros

crdtrnr

I assume that there are ATM's at the Barcelona airport...

Is it better to use those, or wait and use an ATM in town?

I am going to need some Euros, and my bank is charging $592 to get E500...which is too much, in my opinion..E500 = $552)

Should I get them now, or wait until I get to Spain?   I do have about E100 from my last trip abroad...but I know I will need more..

All info appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa

Bank ATMs are the way to go, and there are some at BCN (not far from the luggage pick-up area).  There are also other ATMs operated by private companies (such as Travelex) which do not give favorable exchange rates.   Personally, we never bother to purchase Euros in the US...and just wait until we are in Europe.  Since you already have some Euros you should be fine waiting until you get to Europe.  If you are going directly to the ship you might want to get some Euros at BCN.  Otherwise, you could use a credit card for a taxi to your hotel (if you are going to the hotel) and later get Euros in town.

Hank

• Like 1

One data point: we too had leftover Euros on our most recent trip this summer so we waited to use the ATMs in town.  We made three withdrawals over the course of almost a month, two of the machines we used charged a flat 5 Euro fee, one didn't charge anything.

On a related note we have a Schwab account that refunds both U.S. and foreign ATM transaction fees, I'd be curious to know what other providers do the same for foreign ATM transaction fees.

1 hour ago, CruiseDigits said:

One data point: we too had leftover Euros on our most recent trip this summer so we waited to use the ATMs in town.  We made three withdrawals over the course of almost a month, two of the machines we used charged a flat 5 Euro fee, one didn't charge anything.

On a related note we have a Schwab account that refunds both U.S. and foreign ATM transaction fees, I'd be curious to know what other providers do the same for foreign ATM transaction fees.

We also have Schwab and love that feature.  We presently also have a Chase debit card, which I believe could be used at certain foreign ATMs if they display the right consortium logo – have never bothered to figure that out because Schwab is so easy.

I am in Spain now and CC is taken anywhere so need for cash is small. Some businesses have minimum for CC but very few. Had lots of CC transactions and not a single reject. For ATM look for same sign as one on your card (eg Cirrus)

4 hours ago, hkto said:

I am in Spain now and CC is taken anywhere so need for cash is small. Some businesses have minimum for CC but very few. Had lots of CC transactions and not a single reject.

+1.  One additional note is that we were able to use our phone to make the credit card payments just about everywhere.  We needed our physical credit card for train tickets and automated kiosks but the phone worked great at most stores and restuarants.

I just got my euros from BOA this week and I was very upset with the rate, 630 euros cost me 730 dollars. Also does anyone know if there is an exchange at the airport in case I want to change my euros over before I leave Barcelona and also on the ship do they pay you at the end of the cruise in euros or dollars?

23 hours ago, Nessa55 said:

I just got my euros from BOA this week and I was very upset with the rate, 630 euros cost me 730 dollars. Also does anyone know if there is an exchange at the airport in case I want to change my euros over before I leave Barcelona and also on the ship do they pay you at the end of the cruise in euros or dollars?

That is an outrageous fee they charged you.  The best use for your leftover euros is to save them for your next trip.  The foreign exchange shops at airports do give you a poor rate of exchange.  So, spend them as much as you can and save some (100+ euros) for the next trip.  Then use ATMs to get a decent exchange rate while in Europe.  If you are not planning to ever return to Europe, spend them and enjoy them while there.  Look at Hlitners' post above.

3 hours ago, marazul said:

That is an outrageous fee they charged you.  The best use for your leftover euros is to save them for your next trip.  The foreign exchange shops at airports do give you a poor rate of exchange.  So, spend them as much as you can and save some (100+ euros) for the next trip.  Then use ATMs to get a decent exchange rate while in Europe.  If you are not planning to ever return to Europe, spend them and enjoy them while there.  Look at Hlitners' post above.

Live and learn, I will probably not be returning to Europe so I guess I will be spending everything before my return. Thanks for your response, I thought it was outrageous but was not sure.

4 hours ago, Nessa55 said:

Live and learn, I will probably not be returning to Europe so I guess I will be spending everything before my return. Thanks for your response, I thought it was outrageous but was not sure.

Nessa55, don't beat yourself up about your euro purchase.  In 2014 we went on Med Cruise and we had an ATM machine eat a debit card and euros were about $1.34 ea. I believe whether you purchase euros before you leave home or wait til you arrive in europe is a matter of personal choice.  Do whatever is comfortable for you.  And contact BOA about returning leftover euros. Have a wonderful time in Barcelona!

8 hours ago, senorbanda said:

Nessa55, don't beat yourself up about your euro purchase.  In 2014 we went on Med Cruise and we had an ATM machine eat a debit card and euros were about $1.34 ea. I believe whether you purchase euros before you leave home or wait til you arrive in europe is a matter of personal choice.  Do whatever is comfortable for you.  And contact BOA about returning leftover euros. Have a wonderful time in Barcelona!

Thank you so much. I love the cruise critic family, you guys are such a good support and a load of information so keep posting.

• Like 1