Season 10 of Yellow Fish Cruises blog is underway

PescadoAmarillo

Ok I will admit I let out a little girly scream when I read the first post.  Not only because I love reading your blog (and have been checking every day since you posted a couple of weeks ago) but the real reason for the squeal was because we are doing our first Princess cruise over New Years on the Ruby Princess.  While the itinerary is yet to be posted I was totally fan girling thinking you might be on our cruise.

Don't worry, I am not a crazy stalker - just a normally kiwi girl who has loved your blog for years!  Glad to hear you are on the mend and making your way down under.  Safe travels....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sweetp12 said:

Ok I will admit I let out a little girly scream when I read the first post.  Not only because I love reading your blog (and have been checking every day since you posted a couple of weeks ago) but the real reason for the squeal was because we are doing our first Princess cruise over New Years on the Ruby Princess.  While the itinerary is yet to be posted I was totally fan girling thinking you might be on our cruise.

Don't worry, I am not a crazy stalker - just a normally kiwi girl who has loved your blog for years!  Glad to hear you are on the mend and making your way down under.  Safe travels....

Last year I found out from the blog that we would be on the same cruise.  On the first sea day I made it my goal to find Pescado.  We passed in the atrium and I casually said, "pescado", haha, Jeannie's head snapped my way.  I had found her!!   We talked for a very long time and Jeannie is so nice and fun to talk to.  She was the reason I have been doing a travel blog for the last 3-4 years and I had to thank her for it.  

If you do get the chance to meet Jeannie, honestly, she is so very verynice.  Have fun. 

Thanks so much everyone!  I very much appreciate all the kind words and motivation. We are sitting in the terminal at San Pedro. The Ruby Princess is still disembarking passengers from the previous cruise because it arrived so late due to the new slower speed mandate to protect wildlife in this area. No matter...we’ve checked our big bags and are happily meeting our fellow passengers. 

Cathy, I took that photo. I shoveled that heavy, wet snow (4 ft. of it) over the course of 3 days. I would shovel it as high as I could throw it and then had to wait until it melted a few inches and I could add more on top. My husband was conveniently off fighting a war or something, someplace much warmer. Men. 🤣

Maria, you’re too kind. 

Sis, I miss you already!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 6:00 AM, AF-1 said:

Did you stay at the Hilton Waikiki?  Your pics from your balcony looked like the Hilton or Hale Koa. 

The past two years we’ve stayed at the Hale Koa, right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We get an ocean front room for far less half the price of the Hilton. It’s a wonderful military perk!

Bon Voyage!!  Have a wonderful time and take care of yourself!!  Don't over do it with your foot!!  

I am so compulsive, I check your blog 3 times or more a day to see if there is a new entry, haha.  People really love your blog!  Thanks for doing it.  🥂Cheers~

45 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

The past two years we’ve stayed at the Hale Koa, right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We get an ocean front room for far less half the price of the Hilton. It’s a wonderful military perk!

I was stationed in Hawaii when the Hale Koa opened.  I have stayed there and will be back in 2021 with my family.  Not doing a cruise; just relaxing on the island.  Have fun and will be reading your blogs

7 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Thanks so much everyone!  I very much appreciate all the kind words and motivation. We are sitting in the terminal at San Pedro. The Ruby Princess is still disembarking passengers from the previous cruise because it arrived so late due to the new slower speed mandate to protect wildlife in this area. No matter...we’ve checked our big bags and are happily meeting our fellow passengers. 

Cathy, I took that photo. I shoveled that heavy, wet snow (4 ft. of it) over the course of 3 days. I would shovel it as high as I could throw it and then had to wait until it melted a few inches and I could add more on top. My husband was conveniently off fighting a war or something, someplace much warmer. Men. 🤣

Maria, you’re too kind. 

Sis, I miss you already!

Bon Voyage! Hope your enjoying a fabulous 36th Anniversary dinner tonight. I’ll be reading every word. 

7 hours ago, Level six said:

Bon Voyage!!  Have a wonderful time and take care of yourself!!  Don't over do it with your foot!!  

I am so compulsive, I check your blog 3 times or more a day to see if there is a new entry, haha.  People really love your blog!  Thanks for doing it.  🥂Cheers~

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one checking her blog several times a day! 

Also so your right, keep telling Jeannie to not over do things on her healing foot! 

• Like 1

I notice in today's Yellow Fish blog entry there is mention of the Australian Rugby League Grand Final which is played tonight.

There was some incredulity as to one of the teams being called the Sydney Roosters, so just for the hell of it I thought I'd explain the origin of that name, especially as it involves Ancient Rome and WWII.

To go back, the Ancient Latin name for the region now as France was Gaul and someone from Gaul was a Gallus. The Latin name for a cockerel was also Gallus.

As a result it is not uncommon for French national sporting teams to display a rooster as an emblem on their uniforms.

This was the case with the French national Rugby League teams, nicknamed "Le Coq", who frequently played internationally from the 1930s to the 1970s. Unfortunately Rugby League in France suffered under Vichy regime as being too pro-British and all its assets were confiscated and given to the French Rugby Union. All Rugby League players were required to switch to Rugby Union or cease playing. After the war the new de Gaulle government refused to reverse the policy and French Rugby League went into a long term decline.

The team now known as the Sydney Roosters were originally called Eastern Suburbs and nicknamed the Tricolours and their playing jersey was virtually identical to that used by the French team, such that in the 1970s they too began to put a rooster logo on their jerseys. As a result they became known as "The Roosters" and in 1995 changed their name to Sydney City Roosters to appeal across a wider demographic. This was later shortened to just Sydney Roosters.

Go Raiders!

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Hello from Tahiti!

Sinbad, thanks very much for sharing that detailed explanation about how the Sydney Roosters got their name. Loved it!

Duffysmom, I’ve had this sleep sack for decades, but it is very similar to the one found here:

https://www.travelsmith.com/product/silk-travel-sheet-by-cocoon.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&refType=1&ecList=1&ecCategory=

I roll it in a pool towel to wring out the moisture and hang it up. It’s nearly dry in about an hour, and then I iron it dry. I use it upside down with the opening at the bottom and the duvet stuffed inside. If you don’t mind tucked-in sheets, you’ll be happy with what’s provided, but I don’t like them and, especially right now, can’t tolerate them on my foot. 

Thanks for letting me know you’re enjoying the blog!

12 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I thought this was a pretty cool video of the Ruby docking in Papeete the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJuNxMuFdj4

It's filmed in fast motion which shows the movement of the ship really well as she comes in to port.

Thanks for that! Very cool - especially when they rotate the ship.