Trip Insurance

Tee & Chilli

We use The Trip Insurance Store...Steve or one of his associates are just amazing at providing just what is personally needed for each of our trips. This is an individual based decision that should be discussed personally based on your needs...Don't try to figure it out online.

The Trip Insurance Store

(888) 407-3854

• Like 1

If you are only looking for Medical and Evac insurance, try GeoBlue a division of Blue Cross.  I got coverage for 6 days on my last cruise for $69 for both my wife and myself.  It included no deductible and $1M evacuation.  However, it only covers you while you are outside the US.

• Like 2

Part of the problem with private insurance is that it is often based on your age.  We used to get it but at some point the difference in cost between private and RCCL was too great.  Admittedly haven't checked recently.  Our health insurance will reimburse us for some out of US expenses, which would help.  Luckily haven't needed anything.   The one time I might have incurred costs was when I fell on my face in Southampton England.   Went to ER . Apparently no charge for ER even for US citizens.  Only paid for taxi.

Royal's insurance also does not cover independently booked air.  However two advantages to Royal's insurance: the premium is not age based and it automatically includes cancel for any reason coverage, giving a 75% credit for a future cruise if the cruise is cancelled for a non-covered reason.

Another problem with Royal - if there is a hurricane or something, or you cannot fly due to weather - if you have Royal's insurance and the ship sails, you will get nothing. Happened to our friend a few years ago.  He could not get our of San Juan to fly to Miami for the cruise and they gave him nothing

We get an annual plan with Allianz, but I book insurance for others on a per cruise basis from Travel Insurance International.

10 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

I'm looking for the pros and cons of purchasing through Royal or independent. I booked through a big box agent who partners with Travel Guard. The quote is more than I expected so I'm looking at other options.

Thanks

We always have an annual worldwide travel insurance including cruise through Direct Travel insurance in the UK 

2 important things.

1 Always declare any known health issues as if you don't your insurance can be void.

2 Even if a close family member who is not traveling with you dies and you cancel your holiday if cause of death was a pre-existing health condition like dementia which was known when you booked your holiday they will not pay out.

Discuss these issues with the insurance company before deciding but always get travel insurance.

16 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

If you are only looking for Medical and Evac insurance, try GeoBlue a division of Blue Cross.  I got coverage for 6 days on my last cruise for $69 for both my wife and myself.  It included no deductible and $1M evacuation.  However, it only covers you while you are outside the US.

Another option is to purchase any insurance with $0 trip cost.  This way you are not insuring the cruise (or flights) through the insurance company.  But get all the other coverages.

It runs me $32 per trip to cover myself this way.  Land (flying) or sea trip.

15 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Part of the problem with private insurance is that it is often based on your age.  We used to get it but at some point the difference in cost between private and RCCL was too great.  Admittedly haven't checked recently.  Our health insurance will reimburse us for some out of US expenses, which would help.  Luckily haven't needed anything.   The one time I might have incurred costs was when I fell on my face in Southampton England.   Went to ER . Apparently no charge for ER even for US citizens.  Only paid for taxi.

This is what happened to my parents.  They cruised with us at 87, and 3rd party insurance was several THOUSAND.  Through Royal, it was a couple of hundred.

My Mother had an issue, and the insurance company worked with us to negotiate with the hospital (in Canada) and the med evac provider for them to accept the insurance coverage as payment in full.   

3 minutes ago, karena1 said:

nope, he got nothing and he was Pinnacle

C&A level has nothing to do with this.  If he had Royal's insurance, and he cancelled for a non-covered reason, he should get 75% of the cruise price he paid as a Future Cruise Credit.  He needs to pursue this with the insurance company.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

C&A level has nothing to do with this.  If he had Royal's insurance, and he cancelled for a non-covered reason, he should get 75% of the cruise price he paid as a Future Cruise Credit.  He needs to pursue this with the insurance company.

Been  a long time ago.  I just know he did not get anything because the cruise sailed.

1 minute ago, karena1 said:

Been  a long time ago.  I just know he did not get anything because the cruise sailed.

Well, if he didn't contact the insurance company at the time, that might be the reason he didn't get anything.  The cruise line does not automatically notify the insurnce company about a no-show.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Well, if he didn't contact the insurance company at the time, that might be the reason he didn't get anything.  The cruise line does not automatically notify the insurnce company about a no-show.

I don't know, I do know he talked to Royal and they said he would get nothing back

10 hours ago, karena1 said:

Just like your car or home insurance, you have to file a claim to get reimbursed.

Even though the insurance was purchased through Royal, the insurer was an insurance company.  And Royal does nothing other than pass through the purchase info and fees to them.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Just like your car or home insurance, you have to file a claim to get reimbursed.

Even though the insurance was purchased through Royal, the insurer was an insurance company.  And Royal does nothing other than pass through the purchase info and fees to them.

I know that, he did file and got nothing.  

4 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I know that, he did file and got nothing.  

Something is odd about this, there has got to be some missing info because Royal's insurance either pays the full amount if the cruise is cancelled for a covered reason, or it pays 75% as a future cruise credit.  As mentioned above, a claim must be filed with the insurance company, not with Royal Caribbean.

• Like 1