Trip Insurance

Tee & Chilli

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Something is odd about this, there has got to be some missing info because Royal's insurance either pays the full amount if the cruise is cancelled for a covered reason, or it pays 75% as a future cruise credit.  As mentioned above, a claim must be filed with the insurance company, not with Royal Caribbean.

don't know, I just know what he said, cruise was not canceled, he just could not get to it because his flight was canceled.

I found this paragraph which may explain the situation:

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is
otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased CruiseCare, Royal
Caribbean International will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your
Cruise Vacation prepaid to Royal Caribbean International, for your use toward a future cruise. This
additional enhancement is offered exclusively by Royal Caribbean International as a special service to
guests that purchase this cruise ticket Cancellation Penalty Waiver Addendum. Certain restrictions on
the use of these cruise credits (such as blackout periods) may apply. Credits are valid for one year from
issue date, are not transferable, and have no cash value. To be eligible for credits, notification of
cancellation must be given to Royal Caribbean International prior to the ship’s departure. Once you’ve
cancelled with Royal Caribbean International, please contact the CruiseCare Help Line at 1-800-453-
4022 regarding cruise credits.

Underlining is my own.

So it looks like the 75% credit is lost if someone is a no show, i.e., does not call and cancel before the cruise departs.

23 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Royal's insurance also does not cover independently booked air.  However two advantages to Royal's insurance: the premium is not age based and it automatically includes cancel for any reason coverage, giving a 75% credit for a future cruise if the cruise is cancelled for a non-covered reason.

Good information 

If Royal cancels or if the cruiser cancel?

what would be an example of a non covered reason?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Good information 

If Royal cancels or if the cruiser cancel?

what would be an example of a non covered reason?

Thanks

One of these conditions is what the policy requires for a full cash refund:

1. sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or members of either of your immediate families, which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;
2. involvement in a traffic accident, en route to departure, that causes you to miss your cruise;
3. your home is made uninhabitable by a natural disaster such as fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane or volcano;
4. you are called into active duty by the military to provide aid or relief as a result of a natural disaster;

5. subpoena or being called to serve for jury duty.

Anything else is a non-covered reason.

4 hours ago, karena1 said:

don't know, I just know what he said, cruise was not canceled, he just could not get to it because his flight was canceled.

He probably asked Royal and did not file through the actual insurance company.

We had another thread like this, where someone expected the money to just come, since they booked the insurance through Royal.

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

One of these conditions is what the policy requires for a full cash refund:

1. sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or members of either of your immediate families, which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation is terminated;
2. involvement in a traffic accident, en route to departure, that causes you to miss your cruise;
3. your home is made uninhabitable by a natural disaster such as fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane or volcano;
4. you are called into active duty by the military to provide aid or relief as a result of a natural disaster;

5. subpoena or being called to serve for jury duty.

Anything else is a non-covered reason.

Interesting, if you are called to Active Duty for war, you are not covered.

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Re read it, it’s only if you are called for a natural disaster. I’ve seen posts here complaining of not getting a refund because someone was called into active duty.

You are correct   Sorry   

I usually buy travel safe and their policy have cancel for work included so I never really worried. 

You, Your Traveling Companion or a Family Member traveling with You is required to work during Your Trip. A written statement by an unrelated company official and/or the human resources department demonstrating revocation of previously approved time off will be required.

I used insure my trip for years but now that we cruise 3-5 times a year and take a couple of other trips outside the US I started to use American Advantage Mastercard(several others have same benefits also) to book my trips and it covers trip cancellations for most reasons. I then purchased an annual Medjet Assist policy for the medical evacuation insurance. I ran the numbers and this was the cheapest way to go if you travel on a regular basis.  

56 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

Re read the post  You are covered 100%

This is what was posted:

It is not just active duty, but specifically for aid or relief, and only for natural disasters.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:44 AM, Host Clarea said:

Royal's insurance also does not cover independently booked air.  However two advantages to Royal's insurance: the premium is not age based and it automatically includes cancel for any reason coverage, giving a 75% credit for a future cruise if the cruise is cancelled for a non-covered reason.

Does Royal cover preexisting conditions?

Clarea could you or anyone with experience related to pre-existing condition explain that more. I had always been very healthy until past month.  I just had a bunch of testing done with a possible, but not definite diagnosis. I need to have some more testing before October cruise just to try to rule out some unlikely problems. I have always requested cruise travel insurance at booking just in case.  I now have a Cruise booked 10/27 and in February.  I anticipate no problem being able to go on either cruise, but what happens if I have any medical Problem while away? Sounds like I might not have medical related coverage for 10/27 cruise? can anyone explain how pre-existing relates? thanks!

42 minutes ago, Mullwi said:

Clarea could you or anyone with experience related to pre-existing condition explain that more. I had always been very healthy until past month.  I just had a bunch of testing done with a possible, but not definite diagnosis. I need to have some more testing before October cruise just to try to rule out some unlikely problems. I have always requested cruise travel insurance at booking just in case.  I now have a Cruise booked 10/27 and in February.  I anticipate no problem being able to go on either cruise, but what happens if I have any medical Problem while away? Sounds like I might not have medical related coverage for 10/27 cruise? can anyone explain how pre-existing relates? thanks!

Here is what the policy says:

“Pre-Existing Condition” means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60-day period
immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion, Business Partner or
Immediate Family Member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you:
1) received or received a recommendation for a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or
2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.
Item 2) of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the
taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or
change in the required prescription throughout the 60-day period before coverage is effective under this
Policy.
If you have any questions concerning this exclusion, please call BerkelyCare at 1-800-453-4022 for
further clarification.

You may want to contact the insurance company directly to confirm that these terms are still in force.  I could not find an effective date on the document I found on the web.

2 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Medical treatment could mean a doctors visit or follow up?

That is the way I read it.

I know this is too late for your situation, but might be useful for others. The third party policies normally cover pre-exisiting conditions better than Royal's insurance.  Many cover all pre-existing conditions as long as the insurance is purchased within some short amount of time (like 10 days) of when the trip is first booked.

Don’t forget the look back period only excludes the diagnosed illness or the illness being investigated.  If you were being treated for something to do with your eyes and had a heart attack you would be covered for the heart attack unless they can prove it was caused by what you were being treated for.