Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
xlxo

San Pedro 2 Airport tips?

I've had two Princess cruises debarking in San Pedro and found getting taxi's incredibly challenging to the airport.  What am I doing wrong?  Or is San Pedro poorly designed?

I got off the Royal Princess in the first debarkation group on Tuesday...

• signage to the taxi island queue location was confusing from the cruise terminal exit.
  • no one was around to tell me which line is for the taxi vs uber vs super shuttle
  • taxi for me took 50 minutes to arrive.  It was like one cab would appear every 5 minutes.  Others tell me they had to wait over an hour in the taxi line without a bathroom.
  • first super shuttle was full and not taking walk-on's.  Second Super Shuttle came 30 minutes later and people were abandoning the taxi line and swamping the Super Shuttle
  • taxi's were getting trapped by Uber and other ride hailing vehicles to pick up passengers
  • Princess said to take the taxi as all their shuttles were sold out.

What are other people's thoughts about San Pedro cruise terminal and trying to get a taxi during debarkation?

This was pretty much our experience as well, back in May. We did a very early disembarkation off the Royal and found no taxis anywhere in sight. Fortunately, there were two available SS vans taking walk-ups, so we opted for the smaller of the two (less wait time) and were on our way to LAX within about 5 minutes. Maybe taxis don't bother arriving so early? This kind of thing could be quite problematic for those of us with early-ish departures from LAX. 

Personally, I would never take taxis in LA...

Last time we disembarked in San Pedro--back in April--we used Uber...and we were gone from the terminal within 10 minutes.  The app tells you exactly who your driver is, what kind and color car...and the license number...and shows you where he/she is and how far from port during the entire process.  And the cost was less than half what a taxi would cost...

19 hours ago, xlxo said:

I've had two Princess cruises debarking in San Pedro and found getting taxi's incredibly challenging to the airport.  What am I doing wrong? 

Not using Uber......

8 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Not using Uber......

There was no joy in Uber either with this other cruiser (ceilidh1) who was travelling on the ship with me.... it appears some Uber drivers was refusing rides from the cruise terminal.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2678859-royal-princess-september-14-2019/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-58404378

On 9/20/2019 at 8:56 AM, ceilidh1 said:

I planned on just grabbing a cab. Bad move. The line up at that time was at least 400 people deep and in direct sun on a narrow walkway in the middle of the road! I knew my kids wouldn't make it - lol! I tried uber but some refused when they knew where the pick up was. I got one with an estimated arrival time in an hour! Nope.

1 hour ago, xlxo said:

There was no joy in Uber either with this other cruiser (ceilidh1) who was travelling on the ship with me.... it appears some Uber drivers was refusing rides from the cruise terminal.

I've never, ever heard of that. Normally when a ship is in Uber drivers are thick as fleas on a camel.

10 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I've never, ever heard of that. Normally when a ship is in Uber drivers are thick as fleas on a camel.

Uber is usually not an issue for San Pedro. I've never experienced it like this before and I've sailed in and out of there a bunch of times! I think the problem was the gridlock getting in and out (for whatever reason that was) - Uber drivers weren't interested in sitting in that for a flat fee. Cabs were coming one every 15-20 minutes....

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Uber is usually not an issue for San Pedro. I've never experienced it like this before and I've sailed in and out of there a bunch of times! I think the problem was the gridlock getting in and out (for whatever reason that was) - Uber drivers weren't interested in sitting in that for a flat fee. Cabs were coming one every 15-20 minutes....

San Pedro is my home port. Even with two ships arriving and events at the USS Iowa, I've never seen issues getting in or out of the area.

1 minute ago, scottca075 said:

San Pedro is my home port. Even with two ships arriving and events at the USS Iowa, I've never seen issues getting in or out of the area.

I agree that is usually the case - never had an issue before. Maybe because of the delay getting in for Royal Princess (arrived at 2:30pm) and those disembarking getting mixed in with those embarking...who knows! I do know that it took me almost 3 hours to make the short trip from San Pedro to LAX!

21 hours ago, xlxo said:

I've had two Princess cruises debarking in San Pedro and found getting taxi's incredibly challenging to the airport.  What am I doing wrong?  Or is San Pedro poorly designed?

I got off the Royal Princess in the first debarkation group on Tuesday...

• signage to the taxi island queue location was confusing from the cruise terminal exit.
  • no one was around to tell me which line is for the taxi vs uber vs super shuttle
  • taxi for me took 50 minutes to arrive.  It was like one cab would appear every 5 minutes.  Others tell me they had to wait over an hour in the taxi line without a bathroom.
  • first super shuttle was full and not taking walk-on's.  Second Super Shuttle came 30 minutes later and people were abandoning the taxi line and swamping the Super Shuttle
  • taxi's were getting trapped by Uber and other ride hailing vehicles to pick up passengers
  • Princess said to take the taxi as all their shuttles were sold out.

What are other people's thoughts about San Pedro cruise terminal and trying to get a taxi during debarkation?

This was our exact experience on Tuesday, too! We were in the 3rd walkoff group from Royal so by that time it was even MORE backed up! I agree that the signs for taxi line were really confusing, and the small island in direct sun in the middle of the roadways not the best spot to try to cram 400 people waiting for cabs! Shuttles were literally survival of the fittest, with folks swarming them as soon as they were able to get in. I had originally pre-booked with Prime Time (which is what I have done most other times) but with all the uncertainty of when we would arrive, I just cancelled it. I tried to get a Princess transfer on the ship but with no luck! I was VERY fortunate that a rep took pity on me and my wilting kids and ushered us on to a transfer that was about to leave! It still took almost 3 hours from disembarking to arriving in LAX!

Well, this is alarming! Our late February cruise will only be our second one ever; what do most people recommend for transportation to LAX? We certainly won't book a flight out until after noon. I had been planning on just doing a walk-up to SuperShuttle but now I'm not so sure that's the greatest plan.

45 minutes ago, ams1130 said:

Well, this is alarming! Our late February cruise will only be our second one ever; what do most people recommend for transportation to LAX? We certainly won't book a flight out until after noon. I had been planning on just doing a walk-up to SuperShuttle but now I'm not so sure that's the greatest plan.

The experience that the OP had and ceilidh1 had is not the norm for San Pedro. I sailed to and from there numerous times and made many, many more trips picking up and dropping off family and I've never experienced what these people experienced. I think ceilidh1 is right that the Royal's late arrival time (2:30PM) effected their experience.

SuperShuttle is okay, I'd prefer Uber.