Noise from being below dining room

latebuyer

Personally, I would not recommend a cabin directly below the MDR, or any other public venue for that matter. As far as being below the MDR, you'll likely hear noise from above at various times throughout the day and night, as meal service or preparation for it pretty much is an ongoing activity for most hours of the day.

You might want to see if you can change to a different cabin in the same category, preferably sandwiched between two passenger only decks for maximum quietness. 😉

1 hour ago, christinand said:

Im in e1120 on the main deck on the noordam. The dining room is above. Am i going to hear diners above? If so when does the dining room open?

Being below the MDR wouldn't be bad, but 1120 is below the galley.  We were below a galley once early in our cruising career and the noise above went on all night!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, christinand said:

Arrgh. Live and learn. It is the day before my cruise so too late to change now. Too be honest i have some sleeping pills so will probably just drug myself to sleep.

Have a good cruise in spite of the room.  Maybe a good thing you are going prepared given cabin location.

Thanks. I have earplugs too. I think I will be wary about getting a guaranteed room after this.

Also, to people looking at room reviews in cruise critic don't just look at the stars beside the room as the rating is actually for the whole cruise review. When i actually read the review the poster was giving 5 stars for the cruise, but spoke negatively about the room.

Also make sure you post here as well. Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by christinand

I avoid being below or above public areas.   I am violating my own rule on the next cruise being below the outdoor pool outer deck.  It worries me but I love the idea of the room.  I was once above the theater and thought it would be ok as shows end no later than 11.  I failed to consider rehearsals which which ruined nap time on sea days. 

We too try to avoid rooms below public/work spaces, such as lounges, restaurants, pool areas, or kitchen.  Like Mary229, I ignored common sense and booked a room below the aft pool deck on the Zaandam, knowing that we'll hear noise from crew setting up deck loungers and passengers dragging them around, etc.  The outside view cabin, however, is beside a door, leading to an aft deck, which we understand is mostly deserted.  I'm hoping that's true; otherwise, we've made a mistake and have only ourselves to blame.  

OP, since you realize the predicament you're walking into, it won't be such a disappointment.  You're going in, realizing you need to be proactive to take care of the possible noise.  Live and learn, right?  That may become our mantra on our July 2020 cruise.

After your cruise, write a review and let us know if the noise level prevented you from sleeping.  I hope it's not as distracting as you anticipate.

2 hours ago, christinand said:

Arrgh. Live and learn. It is the day before my cruise so too late to change now.

Maybe you'll get lucky and be under a quiet part of the galley.  Hope so!  🙂

Edited by catl331

Being under the actual dining room is not so bad.  The area is carpeted and the noise is not all that much.  However, checking cruise deck plans dot com and putting the main deck and the Lower Promenade decks side-by-side, it shows that your cabin is below some part of the galley that serves the MDR.   Hopefully it is under the food preparation section and not the dish washing section.  That is where the noise is and at some really strange hours.

Here's the layout.

image.png.2b43ed1fc914d889ad69548913980241.png

57 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

putting the main deck and the Lower Promenade decks side-by-side,

You've lined them up wrong - the elevators don't match. But the point is still valid: 1120 is under part of the galley.

Edited by catl331

3 minutes ago, catl331 said:

You've lined them up wrong - the elevators don't match. But the point is still valid: 1120 is under part of the galley.

Yes, I noticed that.   The elevator shafts should line up.  But that is the way cruise deck plans dot com builds the custom PDF, and they do not give you the ability to adjust the vertical alignment.   

My wife and I are booked on the Nieuw Statendam leaving in 2 weeks time.  When we booked it was our first time ever we didn't go for a balcony and we opted for an outside.  Checking our docs today and I noticed we have a guaranteed category F.  Looked at the deck layout and there are only 5 cat F on the ship.  Guess what, they are on the aft of main deck right under the main dining room.  Will be seeing tomorrow if I can change but it doesn't look good.  Don't know what will be worst, listening to the goings on in the dining room or listening to my wife moaning

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Fuseman said:

Will be seeing tomorrow if I can change but

I don't know your habits, but for the evening hours that the MDR is used we are generally either there ourselves or somewhere else on the ship like a show or lounge, not in our cabin.  Besides that, 2 or 3 of those F cabins are under the carpeted MDR area where there are tables, not a service area.  I wouldn't worry about being in one those cabins ... and with GTY you may be upgraded anyway. Of course you COULD be upgraded to something on the port side under the galley. 😄

Edited by catl331

On 9/21/2019 at 6:19 PM, christinand said:

Arrgh. Live and learn. It is the day before my cruise so too late to change now. Too be honest i have some sleeping pills so will probably just drug myself to sleep.

Live And Learn indeed. We always book inside cabins....budget-minded being the euphemism for " cheap " and we always bring earplugs if the venue dictates the circumstances. Sleeping pills is not an option for us.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:10 AM, KroozNut said:

You'll notice right away after reading through this thread, that one recurring theme is pretty much: 'You book a guarantee, you take your chances'.. 😏

Thanks for your helpful advice .  Maybe when I have posted as much as you I will have the same amount of knowledge

On 9/22/2019 at 3:16 PM, catl331 said:

I don't know your habits, but for the evening hours that the MDR is used we are generally either there ourselves or somewhere else on the ship like a show or lounge, not in our cabin.  Besides that, 2 or 3 of those F cabins are under the carpeted MDR area where there are tables, not a service area.  I wouldn't worry about being in one those cabins ... and with GTY you may be upgraded anyway. Of course you COULD be upgraded to something on the port side under the galley. 😄

Agree - with an F guarantee and only 5 cabins in that category, you are very likely to be upgraded anyway.  If you do end up with a cabin you do not like, you can always check with the front desk and sometimes they can move you.

We have been directly below the dining room on several cruises. We like to be on the Promenade Deck, and on many ships the MDR is one deck up from that.

We have never had an issue with noise from the carpeted dining room. Being under the kitchen would be another matter entirely, because carts and other equipment roll around on the hard floors at all hours.

I'm back from my cruise. Basically there is a lot of thumping up above.  I confess to taking 1/2 a sleeping pill a few nights and i slept well because of this. I would get that location again as it is convenient to dining room, theatre, lincoln centre stage and walking track. I like to be able to take the stairs. Definitely not that room though. Now i know.