Help Understanding Cancellation Process

Tedferg

We are two couples scheduled on R/T New York Sep 28 - Oct 5. We all have Princess Platinum Insurance.

I have developed a problem with kidney stone; surgery to insert stent to drain kidney ; 7 Days infusion of antibiotic, then surgery Oct 1 to remove stone.

Both couples cancelled the cruise on Sep 16.We have begun paperwork for insurance claim.

We received Cancellation Notice from Princess forwarded by TA. which shows, per person:

Fare Information

image.png.6904c91d8830c793bd49f825eef83daf.png

Cancellation Fees

image.png.719edb1a7cdaf7ae874fb0a77a6ec29c.png

I am confused by 'Air Fare' in first column and 'Air Add-on' in second column. I assume my claim should be for $2,683.61 per person.

Princess automatically credited my Visa with $14.95 which was excess over OBC for excursion and $664.88 I assume is for Taxes, Fees for DW and self. I called Princess 800 but it was not very helpful.

Separate but related, our companions decided not to travel without us and opted for Cancel for Any Reason. I believe they get credit to another cruise for two years. What do they do to initiate this process.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Tedferg

I can help with part of it.  You will not get your insurance cost back because you are using that item, so scratch 144.72 off each total. 

As for air costs, I think the 202.45 is a sort of sunk cost—possible it is the change fee—that nobody gets back...but the remaining part of the air cost ($317.44) is still available to you as an air credit that you can use for up to a year, depending on the airline and its change policies. This remaining amount can be claimed on insurance but you may have to prove you cannot use it now or in the required time.  Put it all on the claim form and see what the adjuster comes back with.

The taxes and fees should be directly refunded to you, so you do not claim them on the insurance.  That amount is $420, so you have an excess refund of $244.88.  Not sure what that may be from but it might be helpful if Princess could give you a breakdown of the refunded amount.

The rest is the fare itself, put it all on the claim form.

Lastly, read the forms carefully when filling it out. If it asks for proof of payment, you need the TA copy of the invoice showing date and amount paid, for example. And keep copies of everything until your claim is resolved.

Your friends only need to tell Princess they want to use the CFAR clause; they do not need to file a claim to do this. The credit (less insurance cost and refundable taxes/fees) will show up on their Circle Savings account within days.

• Like 1

Last year I had to cancel for a covered reason shortly before departure & looking at my cancellation notification like you received here’s my recollection of the breakdown.  I don’t have the checks we received & chargecard refund because we’re away from home.

For our airfare we received a refund by check (Air Add On) of the non-refundable cost & the remaining airfare was refunded immediately to our chargecard.  Using your numbers of the $519.89 airfare, $202.45 Air Add On would be the cancelation fee the airline charges & would be refunded to you by check along with your cruise fare refund.  The difference between those amounts would be $317.44 and my amount was immediately refunded to my chargecard.

Your $332.44/pp refund seems to be the refundable portion of your airfare ($317.44) plus $15/pp. you paid for your excursion???  

I recall receiving the refund of the taxes, fees, port expensive (TFPE) immediately on my chargecard but only have access to my cancelation notification online and the refund checks & chargecard statement are at home so I cannot confirm how I was refunded my TFPE amounts.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

They definitely have an expiration.  Last one we received was “Dec. 31 of the year following the date of issue.”  So if one cancels late in the year, it’s about a year.  If one cancels early in the year, it’s almost 2 years.  Don’t know if that is still the wording on currently issued FCC, though.

• Like 1

Trivia in case anyone was wondering from the pricing list posted by @Tedferg.  Not sure why they are indicating it, unless for the TA as they would be losing commission from a cancelled booking, but the NCF* means Non-Commission(able) Fare ... the portion of the cruise fare for which TA"s receive no commission. 

Edited by steelers36

Where on Princess site can I check the status of any credit applied to my account ?

I am just gathering paperwork, Dr. agreement etc to file a claim, but as someone said, our fellow travellers CAF should automatically trigger a credit to their account.

Busy week with Dr visits etc and so I am just getting organized.

Thanks

3 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Trivia in case anyone was wondering from the pricing list posted by @Tedferg.  Not sure why they are indicating it, unless for the TA as they would be losing commission from a cancelled booking, but the NCF* means Non-Commission(able) Fare ... the portion of the cruise fare for which TA"s receive no commission. 

Unless things have changed since I was a TA , for  a cancelation in the penalty period , TA comm. is protected when Princess Insurance was purchased .

8 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Unless things have changed since I was a TA , for  a cancelation in the penalty period , TA comm. is protected when Princess Insurance was purchased .

Didn't know that - or forgot.  It was just a guess.  Seems odd to mention that amount other than for TA purposes.

34 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I think all future credits can be viewed by first signing in to your My Princess account:

• My Profile
  • Circle Savings Account
  • Future Cruise Credits

OK Thanks, I just see a Future Cruise Credit, so nothing regarding the cancelled cruise. As mentioned before I am assembling insurance claim, but wondered if Princess might initiate CFAR.

40 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

OK Thanks, I just see a Future Cruise Credit, so nothing regarding the cancelled cruise. As mentioned before I am assembling insurance claim, but wondered if Princess might initiate CFAR.

My experience was they didn’t do anything about CFAR while determining whether It was for a covered reason (yes) & the process from canceling to receiving our checks (1 for each person) for the non-refundable costs was just under a month.  We submitted everything on the AON site & only called them to ask a few questions & to confirm I was doing everything correctly.

Hopefully your process goes as smoothly as mine & having had several kidney stones (including a week before flying from LA to Sydney before a 30 day cruise) I can feel your pain.

Edited by Astro Flyer

4 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

My experience was they didn’t do anything about CFAR while determining whether It was for a covered reason (yes) & the process from canceling to receiving our checks (1 for each person) for the non-refundable costs was just under a month.  We submitted everything on the AON site & only called them to ask a few questions & to confirm I was doing everything correctly.

Hopefully your process goes as smoothly as mine & having had several kidney stones (including a week before flying from LA to Sydney before a 30 day cruise) I can feel your pain.

Astro was Airfare involved ? Princess statement to shows 'Air Add ons' which I now take to be airline cancellation fee and so I wonder if the airfare ia refunded automatically. Wonder if EZ Air affects this. I see a couple of 800 numbers so will make further enquiries on Monday.

25 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Astro was Airfare involved ? Princess statement to shows 'Air Add ons' which I now take to be airline cancellation fee and so I wonder if the airfare ia refunded automatically. Wonder if EZ Air affects this. I see a couple of 800 numbers so will make further enquiries on Monday.

Here’s my experience with EZair when canceling for a covered reason:

• Airfare:  $780.34
  • Air Add On:  $399.83

$780.34 - $399.83 = $380.51

$380.51 was immediately refunded to my chargecard;  $399.83 was added to my cruise fare refund which was received by check.

I had to cancel 7 days before my outbound flight (10 days before cruise) but don’t know if the Air Add On amount is based on when it’s canceled. 

Edited by Astro Flyer

22 hours ago, cherylandtk said:

They definitely have an expiration.  Last one we received was “Dec. 31 of the year following the date of issue.”  So if one cancels late in the year, it’s about a year.  If one cancels early in the year, it’s almost 2 years.  Don’t know if that is still the wording on currently issued FCC, though.

Related question...one of our group did not want to pay for Princess insurance for our upcoming cruise. If we all had to cancel due to unforeseen family medical/emergency situation, what happens with them? The rest of us booked with Princess platinum insurance and from reading the above it sounds like we would get either refund or FCC. 

25 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

Related question...one of our group did not want to pay for Princess insurance for our upcoming cruise. If we all had to cancel due to unforeseen family medical/emergency situation, what happens with them? The rest of us booked with Princess platinum insurance and from reading the above it sounds like we would get either refund or FCC. 

People with insurance get cash for a covered reason cancellation, credit if not. People with no insurance get nothing except the percentage in effect at the time of cancellation.

• Thanks 1

We had to cancel two cruises B2B a few months ago a week before the cruises.. Even though I wanted to do cancel for any reason, not medical, still had to open the claim with Princess Ins co. Day we canceled and travel agent informed Princess,  several credits appeared on our credit card (card we used to pay for cruise) for port taxes and some other charges I didn't know exactly for what(no explaination).

After a couple of weeks , Ins informed us they are notifying Princess. A day later all the dollar amounts credits appeared in the area where your Future cruise credits show up. Here was the problem. You are not asked where you want these credits to be applied. We had several cruises booked and we wanted it applied to the next cruise as final payment was coming up and we wanted to make sure our credits were used. Well, at the same time we booked a couple of cruises for next year and those credits went to those. Their system is set up that they are used for the next one booked.Several attempts and phone calls by our travel agent got them moved over to the cruise I wanted credited. There was no airfare involved. We got everything back except the Insurance premium.This cancelation was due to a flood but easier to cancel for any reason than go through all the paperwork they were requiring. If this was medical may have done the same . For those wanting a complete cash refund and don't booked cruises, going through the hoops only thing to do.For credits to future cruises, much easier route.

• Thanks 2

I finally added up what we have paid minus Princess automatic Credit and that equals the 'Total Cancellation Fee' on Princess Notification. So I am making a claim for the latter amount.

I think I got wrapped around the axle trying to figure out what Princess was crediting ?; was there an EZ Air cancellation fee ?; should I get an airline refund for the difference ?

Thanks again for all help.