Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
WannaBaMermaid

Pesos for Change in Cabo

Hi!   Getting excited about my first Cabo cruise in 1 week!  I read on another forum that Cabo is very Americanized and they readily accept US currency.  In fact that most merchants would rather have dollars instead of pesos as the exchange rate is better on the dollar.   The disadvantage was that most merchants would make change and give you pesos in return rather than American currency.    It was recommended to carry lots of smaller bills (1, 5, & 10) to make the “getting change” more favorable.    

Has anyone found this to be true?    I had planned on carrying smaller bills but maybe I need more in order to limit the amount of pesos I get in change?   Thoughts........

No, the other other forum was total BS.

Just kidding. That about exactly explains the situation. Cabo is very Americanized...the most of any Mexican city we have been in, and we have been in more than a few. Most things will be quoted in exact dollar prices, like $5, or $12, so if you pay in the exact dollar amount, you will get no change.

1 hour ago, WannaBaMermaid said:

Thanks, CruiserBruce!   That answers my question.    I’ll bring more small bills to minimize any possible change in Pesos.   

Be aware that Pesos have the same sign.  If you see the sign $ it often is Mexican Pesos, if us it will say US$. 

On 9/21/2019 at 8:59 PM, WannaBaMermaid said:

Has anyone found this to be true?    I had planned on carrying smaller bills but maybe I need more in order to limit the amount of pesos I get in change?   Thoughts........

When we get pesos in change we donate them at the hotel desk on the ship. There is usually a donation bin.

Paying in US $ is often easiest, but be aware of the fact that you will be ripped off small amounts.  That US$10 beach towel will really be priced at 150 pesos, or roughly US $8.  But they will be happy to charge the extra US$2.  And many of us are happy to pay the extra $2 and not have to deal with Mexican currency.

The merchants really do prefer pesos over dollars, except for the rip-off!  It is a small hassle for them to change the US$ to pesos, and they need to pay their own bills in pesos.  So if we pay in US$, we are paying a small extra for the hassle the store owner has to go through.