Handwashing vs Sanitizer? Which do you prefer?

xlxo

1 minute ago, ducklite said:

We played in the dirt as children.  But we were always scrubbed down thoroughly with soap and water before eating. But after ingesting a little of that dirt. Lol.  They are two different data points, and the latter is not related to adult onset allergies or asthma.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:50 AM, lenquixote66 said:

I know that but doctors very rarely wash their hands in between patients.If I go to a doctor will will touch my eyes I will tell them that they must wash their hands first.I have given up doctors who try and tell me that Purcell orbits equivalent is just as good as soap and water.

Wow which doctor do you go to, I don't go often but everytime both the nurse and doctor, first thing in the room soap and water, says enough.  If my doctor came in and didn't wash, first thing I'd do is get up and push away his hands.   Already everytime I walk into the waiting room I feel bad at the state of health in the US, honestly having been to the factory like health cares in China, there is a difference, diet and exercise are key bases, not soap and water from what I can tell, LOL

23 hours ago, ducklite said:

I use the paper towel to open the door.

We had dinner at a restaurant the other day and loved that the ladies room was set with a series of walls so there was no need to touch a door after washing hands.

I think you need to bring along sterile gloves, LOL

49 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

I think you need to bring along sterile gloves, LOL

Too many people don't wash after using the bathroom, which is the #1 cause of diseases like Noro.  If everyone washed their hands per CDC guidelines, it wouldn't be a problem.  Unfortunately it is obvious on these boards that many don't wash up properly after using the toilet, so I'll continue to do minor things to keep myself healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

Wow which doctor do you go to, I don't go often but everytime both the nurse and doctor, first thing in the room soap and water, says enough.  If my doctor came in and didn't wash, first thing I'd do is get up and push away his hands.   Already everytime I walk into the waiting room I feel bad at the state of health in the US, honestly having been to the factory like health cares in China, there is a difference, diet and exercise are key bases, not soap and water from what I can tell, LOL

My new doctor who I went to this afternoon washed her hands.She will be my doctor forever.

• Like 3

On 9/23/2019 at 8:50 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Of course, when you reach into your bag to get that lotion after washing, you pick up whatever had been on your hands the last time you used the bag.  It kind of undermines the point of washing your hands before meals.

Proper hand washing with soap and good mechanical action is always superior.  However, many people do not take the time to wash properly, in these instances maybe the sanitizer is more effective.

2 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Proper hand washing with soap and good mechanical action is always superior.  However, many people do not take the time to wash properly, in these instances maybe the sanitizer is more effective.

Right - while sanitizer is not as good as proper hand washing, it is surely better than nothing.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:25 AM, lenquixote66 said:

If you go to a doctors office even ones that have sinks the doctors seem to only use hand sanitizers.

Although to me washing is preferable I find myself using Purelly the majority of the time when out of my home.

I'd be changing doctors

I refuse to use hand sanitizer, I hate the feel, it burns my skin, and it junks up my rings.  I am a good handwasher and do so before heading to meals.  I don't use my hand on the railings or my fingers on the elevator buttons--elbow and knuckle instead.  I am not a germaphobe and will not compromise my system by bathing in hand sanitizer, which I think is the one of the most useless inventions ever.  And, I don't go through my cabin the first day putting Lysol on everything.  Unless you have a immune deficiency, you are harming yourself by trying to destroy all the germs.  Ridiculous!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

On 9/22/2019 at 12:26 PM, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

If I have to pick a side, handwashing, without a doubt. 

It worked for hundreds of years, and we got by mostly fine.  I wash my hands after using the bathroom, before eating, after returning from ports, after touching an animal, and so on.  I only use sanitizer in medical settings, like a clinic or a hospital, and when social norms dictate it.  For example, before walking into the lido buffet, even if I washed my hands minutes earlier.  It's no skin off my nose to do it, and worth the effort to keep people from looking at me suspiciously.

I'm glad that all ships I've been on since 2017 (Princess, Carnival, and Royal) have had hand-washing stations - with soap, water, and towels - at the buffet so I don't need to use sanitizer.

On 9/23/2019 at 1:53 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Touching the door handle - presumably leaving the bathroom - is not seen as a good idea. Of course no one is looking for sterile hands    - but there is no point in gratuitously undoing handwashing.

Most ships (at least women's rest rooms) have tissues on the door and trash cans just outside so you can open the door with a tissue barrier.  I've seen some with push buttons for the doors too so you don't need to pull a handle and can knuckle push if they are out of tissues.

1 hour ago, pacruise804 said:

Most ships (at least women's rest rooms) have tissues on the door and trash cans just outside so you can open the door with a tissue barrier.  I've seen some with push buttons for the doors too so you don't need to pull a handle and can knuckle push if they are out of tissues.

Men's restrooms have door tissues too.  Doors open outward, but you have to push down a lever-type door knob first.  I know they can't make the doors without a latch, like in land-based restrooms, because then the doors would swing wildly whenever the ship movement gets rough.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1