Pinel Island

teknoge3k

We're looking to do something different when we return to SXM. We're thinking about going to Pinel Island. I have a few questions. 

1. Has anyone been there in June and if so, how crowded is it? 

2. Do they have wifi on the island? 

3. Does anyone have any menu pictures from any of the restaurants on the island? 

Thanks for any feedback. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was on Pinel last July and December, our favorite place to visit.  There are limited chairs for rent, so the earlier the better is always a good idea, but it is a very small island so it's not like a crowded port beach.  They have free wifi on the island.  No menu pictures, but the highlight for our July family cruise was the guys picking their lobsters out of the sea and the little girls getting to hold them up.  The kids loved their fresh fish and chips and everyone devoured the calamari.  They will also put a table in the ocean so you can eat/drink in the ocean (standing) if you'd like.  They are awesome  at Yellow Beach and very accommodating.  The iguanas and hermit crabs complete the experience.

St Maarten Rocks (115) (002).JPG

facebook_1569950894159.jpg

4 minutes ago, cruisr4fun said:

Was on Pinel last July and December, our favorite place to visit.  There are limited chairs for rent, so the earlier the better is always a good idea, but it is a very small island so it's not like a crowded port beach.  They have free wifi on the island.  No menu pictures, but the highlight for our July family cruise was the guys picking their lobsters out of the sea and the little girls getting to hold them up.  The kids loved their fresh fish and chips and everyone devoured the calamari.  They will also put a table in the ocean so you can eat/drink in the ocean (standing) if you'd like.  They are awesome  at Yellow Beach and very accommodating.  The iguanas and hermit crabs complete the experience.

St Maarten Rocks (115) (002).JPG

facebook_1569950894159.jpg

Awesome, thanks so much!! I think we're going to go ahead and book this. 

On 9/23/2019 at 9:44 AM, teknoge3k said:

We're looking to do something different when we return to SXM. We're thinking about going to Pinel Island. I have a few questions. 

1. Has anyone been there in June and if so, how crowded is it? 

2. Do they have wifi on the island? 

3. Does anyone have any menu pictures from any of the restaurants on the island? 

Thanks for any feedback. 

So I haven't been in a while, but I vaguely remember one of the restaurants having wifi..... No pictures, but I would definitely google it. Because I'm pretty sure at least one of the restaurants is on FB or something.... We will be there next month and I'm hoping to convince my husband and friends that it's worth the trek! I have loved our visits there!!!

• 1 month later...

We ended up renting the kayaks and paddling over there for a wonderful day a few years ago. I can't remember off the top of my head if there was wifi or not (or even if they did have it we might have not asked). 

Here's the menu's they had at the time. 

P8202955%20copy-XL.jpg

P8203026%20copy-XL.jpg

P8203027%20copy-XL.jpg

P8203028%20copy-XL.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you this is very helpful. Our cruise (RC) will be stopping from 7 AM to 4 PM in St. Martin so I'm thinking to do Pinel Island for the first half, and then self-guided Phillipsburg tour for the second half.

1. How early does the ferry start? And how long does it take to taxi from the port to the ferry station (French Cul De Sac)?

2. Do the places at the Island take USD? Or credit cards? We won't have Euros with us. Or is it better to change to Euros here in the US before we leave? (We go to Europe every now and then so the extra euros won't be wasted)

I'm excited that they'll have kayak for rent. I will bring my own snorkel, but obviously I can't bring an entire kayak with me 😄 

Just remember that Pinel is kinda far away and on the other side of the island. So, you have travel time, then time kayaking over to the island, time spent there, then paddle back, then the ride back. I personally wouldn't plan a 1/2 day here and 1/2 day there.

The kayaks are on the main part of the island and you kayak over to Pinel Island (at least that's what we did and I don't think you can just ferry over to Pinel and get a kayak but I may be wrong). You are welcome to check out my picture intensive review LOCATED HERE for what we did. We rented from Caribbean Paddling and they provide the transportation to and from the port.

Yes, the islands take US dollars. I'm not sure about credit cards. I believe that the internet reception is limited there on Pinel and could create a problem (what I was told).

Thank you!

Now what if I don't kayak there but instead take the ferry, so that should save some time right? And we don't go to Philipsburg but spend the whole day there at Pinel, then we should have more time at the island.

I think my main concern right now is finding a taxi back in the culdesac area. When the taxi drops us off at culdesac, and we tell him to pick us up again, but if he doesn't show up, do we have a recourse? If it might be an issue we might have to rent from Caribbean Paddling like you did.

I have 2 in laws that definitely don't want to kayak, but me and DW may want to kayak, I think they (caribbean paddling) should be able to accommodate this? (So my in laws can take the ferry instead)

I would reach out to Caribbean Paddling and see if they can accommodate your family. Where you go to and get dropped off at is right where the pick up the kayaks and catch the ferry pretty much.

Here's a picture of the area. To the left is the kayaks and to the right is the ferry

P8202886%20copy-L.jpg

P8203160%20copy-L.jpg

If you wanted to try it on your own and have a taxi driver drop you off, you probably could. If they didn't show back up, there are tons of people and vendors there in the parking lot that could probably call for a taxi for you (if there's not already one there).  However, I think in order to use the kayaks, you would need to have a reservation with Caribbean Paddling...and that includes your transportation.

Edited by mitsugirly

We stayed at St Maarten last May, went to Pinel, and have been several times in the past. I've read multiple threads about reliable transportation return from Pinel. Had a rental car so no problems.

Last year and this past spring, we returned from Pinel via ferry around 3pm. We did notice there was no one on the ferry dock that could have called us a taxi if we had needed one.  2 seperate times, not a soul, just returning patrons of the ferry. We looked towards the kayak hut and didn't see anyone there either. Just an observation. Pinel is SO WORTH going, but I'd sure be uneasy returning on that ferry with no guaranteed means of transportation. Car rental isn't all that much at the cruise ship pier, something like $60 for the day. Just my .O2