Cruise Critic Community
Sun Lover

Worried about which side of ship on Greek Isles cruise

We just booked a 9-night Greek Isle cruise on Explorer that leaves from Rome and returns to Rome at the end of the trip.  We have cabin 7634 booked, which is on the port side.  I looked at the location of this cabin online and even though it's listed as an aft cabin, it's pretty close to midship, which is what I wanted.  Now our neighbors who went on a Mediterranean cruise, not a Greek Isles one, a few years ago said it makes a big difference which side of the ship your cabin is on and if we aren't on the good side, all we'll see is empty land and the scenery will all be on the other side.  Does anyone know if this is true? We purposely booked a balcony cabin and paid quite a bit extra for it figuring we'd want to have a nice view of the different islands.  Should I change cabins so we're on the starboard side?

The side of the ship that faces land at a specific stop cannot be guaranteed.   The ship docks depending on many factors, including:  Winds, seas, does one side of the ship require maintenance, life boat drills, requests from the port, and even the whim of the Captain).

So it sounds like it won't matter, right?  Maybe it was different for our friends because they were on a Mediterranean cruise rather than the Greek Isles.  They made it sound like we would be cruising along seeing many sites along the way before we pulled into a port.

12 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

Generally, the deck is the place to be as you can see both sides.

Correct,  Deck 11/12/4 all have ample views from both sides.  It's not like you'll be on your balcony all the time.  There are too many variables to worry about this on any cruise.

Relax and enjoy🙂

Edited by bouhunter

Agree...It won't matter...Sorry your friends aren't exactly right on this.

I have never worried about which side I should be on although I seem to book more on the Port side. I look at it this way since I am spending most of my time on Deck I wander over to the side of the ship I wish to take pictures. 

7 hours ago, Sun Lover said:

So it sounds like it won't matter, right?  Maybe it was different for our friends because they were on a Mediterranean cruise rather than the Greek Isles.  They made it sound like we would be cruising along seeing many sites along the way before we pulled into a port.

It isn’t like the ship is 30ft off the coastline as you sail along!!  I really have no idea what you’re friends are talking about.

The only time you are close to land is when you sail through the Straits of Messina. Can see land both sides. You may see Stromboli “on fire” if you pass at night. 

7 hours ago, Sun Lover said:

Well, the Greek Isles are part of the Mediterranean and wherever you sail in the world you will have some nice views on both sides. There is no good or bad side on a ship in the Mediterranean or on any other ocean in the world. And if you are on the wrong side in one port just go to the outsite decks. 

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

Agree...It won't matter...Sorry your friends aren't exactly right on this.

Definitely doesn't matter. We done many Greek island cruises and never thought I wish we had a cabin on the opposite side.

9 hours ago, Sun Lover said:

We just booked a 9-night Greek Isle cruise on Explorer that leaves from Rome and returns to Rome at the end of the trip.  We have cabin 7634 booked, which is on the port side.  I looked at the location of this cabin online and even though it's listed as an aft cabin, it's pretty close to midship, which is what I wanted.  Now our neighbors who went on a Mediterranean cruise, not a Greek Isles one, a few years ago said it makes a big difference which side of the ship your cabin is on and if we aren't on the good side, all we'll see is empty land and the scenery will all be on the other side.  Does anyone know if this is true? We purposely booked a balcony cabin and paid quite a bit extra for it figuring we'd want to have a nice view of the different islands.  Should I change cabins so we're on the starboard side?

When you sail into port you will see views on the port side and when you sail out of port you will see views of the other side of the islands so you are not missing anything.

In tender ports the ship is anchored and turns with the tides so your view from your balcony during the day can change.

Great cabin choice imo.