Cruise Critic Community
jcruiser8888

MSC Upgrade experience

We are sailing on the  MSC Meraviglia on Nov 10. I received an email offering us an opportunity to bid on an upgrade. We are currently in the yacht club deluxe suite, the upgrade would move us to a Y.C.

Royal suite. I'm looking for anyone's experience with this process and wondering if its worth the $$$ ?

Since you are already in YC deluxe, all you are getting is a much bigger room, bigger balcony, separate sitting area and a whirlpool on the balcony.

Is it worth the $$$$?  Only you can answer that.

Edit - You should also have access to a reserved cabana on the YC sun deck throughout the cruise.

Edited by Selion

Most Yacht Club to Yacht Club upgrades I've seen have not been that good of a deal, minimum bid plus what you've already paid is usually very close to full price of the cabin.  When dealing with YC interiors and Deluxe suites it might be better to call and pick your cabin for a few dollars more, in the case of the Royal suites location is not a factor.  Be careful when comparing the bid price to the asking price because on some sailings MSC has been raising the YC prices as the cruise date, and bidding opening date, approaches.  Unless you remember all the different cabin prices when you booked you would have to call MSC to see what your cost to just call in and upgrade would be - when manually upgrading you are held to the prices in effect when you initially booked.  It's probable the bid would save a few dollars, but so far I've not seen any tremendous savings.

If just two of you, probably not unless a good deal.  If more than two, I'd probably do it.

We'll actually be in one of those RS in March.

6 minutes ago, dexddd said:

If just two of you, probably not unless a good deal.  If more than two, I'd probably do it.

We'll actually be in one of those RS in March.

we have one on the 28th of October - not the best suite on the Meraviglia, but the space is wonderful to entertain...

not sure about OP who said you can book the RS at the original price - ....  

19 minutes ago, marcoigna said:

we have one on the 28th of October - not the best suite on the Meraviglia, but the space is wonderful to entertain...

not sure about OP who said you can book the RS at the original price - ....  

As always, you'll have to post some great pictures.  Also, be sure to get us some more perks included with the RS.  Free meals at BC and Teppanyaki would be nice to start.  Maybe some free F1.

2 minutes ago, dexddd said:

As always, you'll have to post some great pictures.  Also, be sure to get us some more perks included with the RS.  Free meals at BC and Teppanyaki would be nice to start.  Maybe some free F1.

i will try my best - i am trying to get a dining table on the balcony on the Meraviglia RS as there is no table for dining - which is crazy - for me they can get rid of the 3 loungers and replace with a table, which on every site they advertise...on the Seaside, they did a dinner on our Balcony, insisted by the YC director, for 8 of us - best meal ever on MSC it was crazy...

1 minute ago, marcoigna said:

i will try my best - i am trying to get a dining table on the balcony on the Meraviglia RS as there is no table for dining - which is crazy - for me they can get rid of the 3 loungers and replace with a table, which on every site they advertise...on the Seaside, they did a dinner on our Balcony, insisted by the YC director, for 8 of us - best meal ever on MSC it was crazy...

Sounds like the Seaside where it showed a dining table on plans (as does Meraviglia) but it wasn't there.  Then some of you were able to get it added.  We'd like the table too.  On the Seaside we sat there quite a bit but the YC Director who we've met before and have been on three trips didn't offer any meal.  I had read that before our last trip but didn't really want to push it too much.

33 minutes ago, marcoigna said:

...not sure about OP who said you can book the RS at the original price - ....  

If you are referring to me here, MSC has stuck me with that rule, holding any upgrade to the cabin prices at the time I booked, a couple times now.  Of course the old prices were higher and thus MSC prevented me from taking advantage of price drops.  I asked if the prices had gone up would they still enforce the rule and was told yes.  So now I take screenshots of the cabin prices when I book in case I later want to upgrade and hold them to the old prices, especially since YC prices now seem to increase as sail date approaches.  I haven't had the opportunity to try, yet.

3 minutes ago, Até said:

If you are referring to me here, MSC has stuck me with that rule, holding any upgrade to the cabin prices at the time I booked, a couple times now.  Of course the old prices were higher and thus MSC prevented me from taking advantage of price drops.  I asked if the prices had gone up would they still enforce the rule and was told yes.  So now I take screenshots of the cabin prices when I book in case I later want to upgrade and hold them to the old prices, especially since YC prices now seem to increase as sail date approaches.  I haven't had the opportunity to try, yet.

Yes I've been stung  by this too... it completely bamboozled me the first time it was explained to me, as I was trying to give MSC more money than I was originally paying... and nothing to stop them selling the cabin I would be vacating for whatever price they wanted. Very odd policy.

4 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Yes I've been stung  by this too... it completely bamboozled me the first time it was explained to me, as I was trying to give MSC more money than I was originally paying... and nothing to stop them selling the cabin I would be vacating for whatever price they wanted. Very odd policy.

Yes, in my cases it would have been significantly more money to upgrade to a higher cabin even at the new lower prices.  But MSC wanted me to upgrade to the same cabin at the even higher prices when I originally booked.  So I was stuck.  It no longer pays to book non YC far in advance unless you want a specific cabin location that sells out.  From now on I'll probably wait until well after final payment for most non YC bookings.

Did you get the table on the RS balcony?  I  am sailing on the 24th in a RS on Meraviglia and would love to have a dining table for our Thanksgiving dinner!

I am also hesitant. I booked Fantastica Balcony Canin (11234 - really good position - middle ship and the "outside part") for 548$ for a week PP (by the way not it is only 365$ PP on Expedia which gives me a headache). I can upgrade for 225 YC inside and 555 YC Balcony suite. I am hesitant because I might get upgraded anway as there are clearly having problems selling this cruise (I am really not sure why). I have back to back weeks, I thought I would go for YC Balcony for the second week with 570$ bid so I can see the difference between the 2 weeks. What do you think should I do?

Also: Is there anyway MSC compensates me for lowering their prices with some upgrade if I call them?