Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
INeedAMaiTai

Ugh...Inside Cabin

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, tailspintom said:

Bless your heart.

 

Awesome. I'm not from the south but... 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an inside cabin on Regal Princess last week.  It was fine, thought there was plenty of storage and enough space for the time we were in there.  I will say one thing though...it needed some artwork or color.  It was neutral but very nice.  The fake porthole might make you feel better about being inside.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:31 PM, INeedAMaiTai said:

My mom offered to pay for our trip in the summer of 2021.  She and my three daughters are going to share a mini suite, and my husband and I will be in an inside cabin.  I haven't been in an inside cabin in 15+ years.  I don't normally spend a lot of time in my cabin as it is, but I will miss seeing the sun.  Anyone have any helpful tips to get me more excited about an inside cabin?  I've already put in my Amazon cart those goofy porthole stickers...

I would think that considering the fact she's willing to pay for your trip, you'd show a tad more gratitude! If you don't like it, you certainly can choose to pay for your own cabin & feel free to upgrade it yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:38 AM, donaldsc said:

 

You do know that you are not supposed to leave the balcony door open as it messes up the air conditioning for all the cabins near you.

 

In answer to the question posted by the OP, you could always tell your Mom that you have a prior engagement and are not coming.  She may not like it but her offer off an inside is hardly a reasonable offer.

 

DON

Wow! I mean Wow! You think a free offer for an inside cabin is NOT a reasonable offer? Considering the remarks you've made about some of my past posts, I certainly wonder a bit about you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:07 AM, Lucky TGO said:

Memoak,

I totally agree with you. I think FREE is a great price. 😳

As Foghorn Leghorn once said "View total Eclipse free? That's the way I like 'em, totally free!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2019 at 12:01 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

no, she didn't. She asked for helpful hints on how to get excited about sailing in an inside cabin.

MORE excited; big difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 9:53 AM, INeedAMaiTai said:

Don't get me wrong.  I am very thankful and super looking forward to it.  We'll see how it goes!

 

Trust me - it'll be great. I've done TWO transatlantic cruises to Baltics and British Isles (with my daughter) in inside (sideways) cabins. Much quieter, etc. than balconies. Had a FAB time. Can your mom adopt me? :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 11:38 PM, donaldsc said:

 

You do know that you are not supposed to leave the balcony door open as it messes up the air conditioning for all the cabins near you.

 

In answer to the question posted by the OP, you could always tell your Mom that you have a prior engagement and are not coming.  She may not like it but her offer off an inside is hardly a reasonable offer.

 

DON

A GIFT is NOT an OFFER, Don. It's a PRESENT. GET IT? Good. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, CI66774 said:

A GIFT is NOT an OFFER, Don. It's a PRESENT. GET IT? Good. 🙂

But the OP stated that her mom "offered to pay for our trip" ... doesn't sound to me to be a gift or a present ... 

 

From my perspective, the saddest thing is NOT being booked in an inside ... but that the OP may not feel comfortable with "Thank you, Mom, your offer is very generous, but we can't let you treat ALL of us.  It's more than enuf that you book the girls in your cabin ... and we'll take care of arranging a cabin for us two.  Really, Mom, we so appreciate your very generous offer, but it is too much for you to pay for all 5 of us."    

Edited by pms4104

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny to me how this thread is full of lawyers dissecting sentence word choices and also those with insight into strangers family relationships, feelings and finances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've just completed a 35 night cruise in an inside cabin on Sea Princess. No problems even though the inside cabins on that ship are really small compared with the bigger ships.

 

We would wake up, get dressed, and head off to breakfast and rarely came back to the cabin during the day unless we wanted to change into swimwear after lunch. In the late afternoon we'd come back to the cabin to shower and change, then head out for the evening, only returning at bedtime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been in everything from an inside cabin to the most expensive suite on the ship. To be honest to be able to even go on a cruise that I really wanted to do the cabin grade would not matter to me. I have done 49 nights on one cruise in an inside cabin and 31 nights on another cruise in a balcony cabin. I have done 10 nights in a full suite on one cruise.

 

The cabin does not really make or break the cruise. It can make a difference if you enjoy scenic cruising from the balcony or enjoy a private escape to a more pleasent cabin but that is about it. There are plenty of super rich people that regularly cruise only in inside cabins because even they know the increased price is not value for money on some cruises if you know you are going to be spending more time in ports, out and abour around the ship, watching shows, drinking in bars.

 

For a Princess cruised next year I booked early for and booked a balcony. Unfortunately Princess kept reducing the price under different price promotions meaning it was not covered by the price guarantee. So I thought screw you Princess I will just cancel it and rebook the cheapest possible inside which is exactly what I did. If Princess wants to play games like that then I can too. Now that the cruise appears almost sold out I have locked in the cheapest possible price and will gamble on an upgrade when the make or break final payment sorts out the winners from the losers in the game of who gets to go or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

meaning it was not covered by the price guarantee

huh?:classic_huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I will be the first to mention, and very tongue-in-cheek here...

We do use our cabin for much more than sleeping!!!!!!!  :classic_tongue:

Anyone who thinks that everyone should be okay with an inside, just because are - are not going to get much respect or credibility from me.  Many people use their cabin a LOT.  Not everyone is out and about except for 8 or so hours of nightly sleep.  

I couldn't do that.  

Don't try to tell me that I should.  Much Much Much too presumptuous.  

 

( "All the haters gonna hate, hate, hate..  Shake it off. Hey Hey Hey...  Shake it off!!!")

Edited by PRINCESS Sweet Pea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've just completed a 35 night cruise in an inside cabin on Sea Princess. No problems even though the inside cabins on that ship are really small compared with the bigger ships.

 

We would wake up, get dressed, and head off to breakfast and rarely came back to the cabin during the day unless we wanted to change into swimwear after lunch. In the late afternoon we'd come back to the cabin to shower and change, then head out for the evening, only returning at bedtime.

 

Our first cruise was in an inside on Sea Princess. 136 sq. ft. Very small but we had a great cruise and it hooked us for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, pms4104 said:

But the OP stated that her mom "offered to pay for our trip" ... doesn't sound to me to be a gift or a present ... 

 

From my perspective, the saddest thing is NOT being booked in an inside ... but that the OP may not feel comfortable with "Thank you, Mom, your offer is very generous, but we can't let you treat ALL of us.  It's more than enuf that you book the girls in your cabin ... and we'll take care of arranging a cabin for us two.  Really, Mom, we so appreciate your very generous offer, but it is too much for you to pay for all 5 of us."    

Not to beat a dead horse but if you "offered" to pay for my 2021 World Cruise (will ya???) and I accept - that's a gift, a present - not an offer. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, voljeep said:

huh?:classic_huh:

Didn't you know that when Princess comes up with different promotions and deals that if you book under one you are not covered under their price guarantee? Well that is how it is here in Australia. If you book under a promotional deal you cannot get your price dropped to another promotional deal. You have to cancel and rebook.

 

As a result I cancelled, got my cruise credit back and booked the cheapest possible inside cabin purely out of spite and at a much lower price than I had budgeted to pay for in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

Didn't you know that when Princess comes up with different promotions and deals that if you book under one you are not covered under their price guarantee? Well that is how it is here in Australia. If you book under a promotional deal you cannot get your price dropped to another promotional deal. You have to cancel and rebook.

 

That must be a new Princess policy. I've refared a couple of cruises in the past, at least two times for each cruise and under various promotion, without any issues. On one cruise I actually expected to lose some perks when I refared but somehow I still got them.

 

Princess are really devaluing the FCD concept if they are doing that now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always so excited to get away and cruise, more times than not book an inside.  Why, I can usually cruise twice as much, we often sail in balconies too.  We have done a 28 day in an inside and did not ever feel it was a big deal, getting ready to do a 28 on the new Sky in a balcony, so we will truly get a comparison.  One of the things I do is bring some magnets for the walls, so I can hand different items up for ease and keep the clutter down.

We also take the small table and place it in the closet to give more room around the desk, bed area.  You can also have the steward completely room the table but it becomes a storage area for certain items.  We also love to be out and about, so not spending a lot of time in our room, it truly is a none factor.  In less than 2 minutes I can be out on a deck for my fix of the sun, and I totally get that.  I suffer if not enough sun(I am born and raised in Florida and I go crazy in a day or two of no sun), but it has never been an issue.

Best thing if you ever want an afternoon nap, the darkness of the room, best afternoon naps EVER are in an inside cabin...

I am sure you will have a great time, enjoy the ship and where ever you are visiting and don't worry about the cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:14 PM, pms4104 said:

But the OP stated that her mom "offered to pay for our trip" ... doesn't sound to me to be a gift or a present ... 

 

From my perspective, the saddest thing is NOT being booked in an inside ... but that the OP may not feel comfortable with "Thank you, Mom, your offer is very generous, but we can't let you treat ALL of us.  It's more than enuf that you book the girls in your cabin ... and we'll take care of arranging a cabin for us two.  Really, Mom, we so appreciate your very generous offer, but it is too much for you to pay for all 5 of us."    

If someone "offered" to pay for your trip, why would it not be a gift or present? If you had to pay it back, then yes, it would not be a gift or present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:32 PM, CI66774 said:

A GIFT is NOT an OFFER, Don. It's a PRESENT. GET IT? Good. :-)

Glad you pointed out his lack of "tact".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, keithm said:

Glad you pointed out his lack of "tact".

 

We and many other people include gift return receipts w/o the price listed so that the recipient can return the gift if they do not want it or it doesn't fit or the color is wrong.  I am not insulted if something that I gift to someone is returned.  So what is the difference between returning a gift from a store and "returning" a gift of a cruise except that you have to live with the cruise gift giver.

 

I personally would not want an inside cabin as I need outside light.  I don't need a balcony or even an outside cabin with a larger window.  A cabin with a porthole if those cabins actually exist would suffice in a pinch but I need that light.

 

BTW - I would be interested in knowing the difference in cost between an inside cabin and an outside cabin.  I bet that it would not be much.  Perhaps the OP could offer to pay for the difference between the inside and an outside cabin.  However, if Mom rejects that offer, I would still say that the OP should turn it down.

 

DON

 

Edited by donaldsc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is different in their needs but

Apart from having a balcony on the Amazon cruises where it was a small ship and there were very few inside cabins  we have always had insides - often guarantee (even on the 76 day Pacific circle cruise)  Upgraded free twice to having a window which was nice but did not make much difference

We cruise to enjoy the scenery on the outside decks with better views, to meet people (who would not be in our cabin) and to be spoilt by the stewards and wait staff.

 

Should we have booked outside or balcony cabin s on our cruises we would only have managed to go on a quarter of them.

 

On the other way around we treated my MIL to a cruise when she was 93 and had never cruised and she was very happy with her inside room she was able to have a quiet nanna nap when she wanted

Edited by windsor26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:50 PM, donaldsc said:

 

We and many other people include gift return receipts w/o the price listed so that the recipient can return the gift if they do not want it or it doesn't fit or the color is wrong.  I am not insulted if something that I gift to someone is returned.  So what is the difference between returning a gift from a store and "returning" a gift of a cruise except that you have to live with the cruise gift giver.

 

I personally would not want an inside cabin as I need outside light.  I don't need a balcony or even an outside cabin with a larger window.  A cabin with a porthole if those cabins actually exist would suffice in a pinch but I need that light.

 

BTW - I would be interested in knowing the difference in cost between an inside cabin and an outside cabin.  I bet that it would not be much.  Perhaps the OP could offer to pay for the difference between the inside and an outside cabin.  However, if Mom rejects that offer, I would still say that the OP should turn it down.

 

DON

 

I think returning a neck tie is NOT in the same category as refusing a free cruise. Stop making this about you & your need for light! This was about a lack of appreciation.

  In regards to the price differences between inside & outside cabins, have you actually cruised?? You should obviously know the difference in price between an inside & an outside cabin. It's listed on ANY cruiseline brochure. In most cases it's well over $1K P/P. As for us we've done everything from suites(Cunard) to insides on Celebrity/Princess/Oceania. On Oceania, we did take upgrade offers. Not free, but reasonably priced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

Popcorn is running low.  Time to make a new batch.

REAL butter on mine, please!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...