Jump to content

Help with explorer of the seas please


Recommended Posts

New to Royal and sailing on explorer of the seas may 17, 2020 10 day from Rome with a group of 6 of us.  Have figured out a lot by reading and searching but for some reason I am struggling to figure out which days will be the 'formal nights' (and how many) so we can plan which night to have a 3x50th birthday dinner at chops.  Trying to plan ahead.

also what time will the evening shows happen?  And is there somewhere I can go to get an idea as to what kind of shows they are?

with my time dining and being a group of 6 are we best to pre-book dining times or wing it?

Also looking at the behind the scenes tour on board and looking for thoughts as to how it was and if it is worth the $118 Canadian per person.

thank you,

Very excited to try a new cruise line and beyond excited for our first trip to Europe.

Dianna

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RMDPhoenix said:

New to Royal and sailing on explorer of the seas may 17, 2020 10 day from Rome with a group of 6 of us.  Have figured out a lot by reading and searching but for some reason I am struggling to figure out which days will be the 'formal nights' (and how many) so we can plan which night to have a 3x50th birthday dinner at chops.  Trying to plan ahead.

also what time will the evening shows happen?  And is there somewhere I can go to get an idea as to what kind of shows they are?

with my time dining and being a group of 6 are we best to pre-book dining times or wing it?

Also looking at the behind the scenes tour on board and looking for thoughts as to how it was and if it is worth the $118 Canadian per person.

thank you,

Very excited to try a new cruise line and beyond excited for our first trip to Europe.

Dianna

Great time to go before it gets to hot and humid plus the ports are wonderful.

Usually 3 formal nights on 10 nights cruise and usually on sea days although lots of people dress casual on these nights.

Shows usually around 8.30pm

We are on Explorer in 12 days and have booked our My Time Dining times on the cruise Personaliser.

You can book every night in one go if you want.

In Europe people like to dine later and after 8-15pm queues are very long even for booked reservations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

hhmmm………..not sure that I would agree with grapau.

 

a ten night port-intensive cruise "may" have three or "may" have two formal nights.

 

There are usually two show times, not one.

 

With a group of six, I would pre-book dining reservations, but you can change once on board, or on the fly.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

hhmmm………..not sure that I would agree with grapau.

 

a ten night port-intensive cruise "may" have three or "may" have two formal nights.

 

There are usually two show times, not one.

 

With a group of six, I would pre-book dining reservations, but you can change once on board, or on the fly.

 

 

We usually go to the Diamond Lounge 7.30-8.30pm then dine in Giovanni's at 8.30pm at least 2 nights with our D+ BOGO and rarely go to the shows but we are on Explorer 10-5 so will check.

There are only 2 sea days on this cruise so possiblity only 2 formal nights.

This is a port intensive cruise but includes most of our favourite ports.

To the op I would recommend 2 nights pre and/or post cruise in Rome as it is a fantastic city which you won't see otherwise if you sail from Civitavecchia.

Graham.

15693581067051846962199487099384.jpg

Edited by grapau27
Link to post
Share on other sites

That royal amplification sounds amazing!!

we are doing 2 nights pre and post cruise in Rome and have already booked tours with Rome in limo as well as port tours - some with the ship and some with private tour companies.

will assume 2 formal nights as we only have 2 sea days.

anyone have experience booking a table of 4 and a table of 2 for chops and being able to have it made to a table of 6 no problem?  Tried to book for 6 and there was no availability for any of the nights.

thank you for all of the information.  We are so very excited about this trip!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is a long way out, but we just booked a cruise on Explorer from Rome in September 2020.  We sailed on her years ago in the Caribbean and are very happy to hear about the changes that will be made.

Since this is our first cruise from Rome, was looking for guidance on getting to the port from the airport, and then getting from the port back to Rome, where we will be spending 2 additional nights.

Any others already booked for next September 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gal4458 said:

I know this is a long way out, but we just booked a cruise on Explorer from Rome in September 2020.  We sailed on her years ago in the Caribbean and are very happy to hear about the changes that will be made.

Since this is our first cruise from Rome, was looking for guidance on getting to the port from the airport, and then getting from the port back to Rome, where we will be spending 2 additional nights.

Any others already booked for next September 🙂

 

A good place for this info is the Italy forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

 

We used RomeCabs last year and were pleased with the service.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RMDPhoenix said:

That royal amplification sounds amazing!!

we are doing 2 nights pre and post cruise in Rome and have already booked tours with Rome in limo as well as port tours - some with the ship and some with private tour companies.

will assume 2 formal nights as we only have 2 sea days.

anyone have experience booking a table of 4 and a table of 2 for chops and being able to have it made to a table of 6 no problem?  Tried to book for 6 and there was no availability for any of the nights.

thank you for all of the information.  We are so very excited about this trip!

They will push tables together to accommodate you just speak to the restaurant manager.

One night on Independence we joined a lovely family in Giovanni's on the last night and there was 10 of us and they put 5 tables together.

Edited by grapau27
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RMDPhoenix said:

Thank you!  Will make sure we check in there a few days ahead as I booked it for mid cruise.  

You are welcome.

We have sailed many times in the Mediterranean and your itinerary is fantastic.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...