Quick transportation YVR to port

karylrocks

There are no shuttles from YVR to Canada Place unless you mean a cruise line transfer.  Three and a half hours should give you sufficient time to get to the port provided you have no flight delays or delays at border control/customs.

Considerations:  

-  Strictly speaking, Skytrain is the quickest, but you need to factor in the short walk to YVR platform, purchasing tickets and the walk from Waterfront station to Canada Place

-  Skytrain doesn't have to contend with car traffic 

-  A taxi will take you right to the drop-off luggage point for your cruise.

-  Your comfort level finding/using transit and handling your own bags

If there is no traffic (i.e. not rush hour and no accidents en route), then time difference between Skytrain and taxi are negligible.

59 minutes ago, ell52 said:

There are no shuttles from YVR to Canada Place unless you mean a cruise line transfer.  Three and a half hours should give you sufficient time to get to the port provided you have no flight delays or delays at border control/customs.

Considerations:  

-  Strictly speaking, Skytrain is the quickest, but you need to factor in the short walk to YVR platform, purchasing tickets and the walk from Waterfront station to Canada Place

-  Skytrain doesn't have to contend with car traffic 

-  A taxi will take you right to the drop-off luggage point for your cruise.

-  Your comfort level finding/using transit and handling your own bags

If there is no traffic (i.e. not rush hour and no accidents en route), then time difference between Skytrain and taxi are negligible.

+1 for Skytrain (Canada Line)

When you get to the final stop, take the GRANVILLE ST exit (marked "WAY OUT - GRANVILLE ST") directly from the platform, don't go down the tunnel into Waterfront Station. That puts you at Granville @ W.Hastings.  From there an easy walk (downhill) to Canada Place, one block along W.Hastings, turn right 3 blocks on Howe

However, that's all assuming goes well with your flight. Not sure I'd be comfortable with that little wiggleroom.

Remember that 'arrive 3½ prior to sailing' needs to take into account:

- Flights from Portland land at the E90 gates @ YVR, it's a long walk to Immigration & Customs - 5-10 mins

- You'll need to get through immigration and customs (anywhere from instant to 1hr)

- Get Bags, exit through Customs (rarely a wait)

- Get to Skytrain (this is quick, exit intl arrivals, cross the st, top of car park)
- wait up to 6 minutes for a train (all trains go to waterfront from YVR)

- 24 minutes YVR-Waterfront on the train

- 5-10 minute walk to Canada Place

- check in

- Clear US immigration prior to board (if the next stop is the USA)

and, the US require you be on board 90 mins prior to sailing, so that 3½ is really 2.   

I know my way around YVR, I hold a NEXUS (fast US-Canada border crossing), I know Skytrain well, and I know exactly the route to take, and I consider that awfully tight.

As for your original question, a taxi and Skytrain are similar times, assuming light traffic.  On a weekday, my money is on Skytrain.

Edited by scottbee

Just now, CoW mAn said:

Skytrain. The wait for a Taxi is EPIC

Good point; I hadn't factored that in.

Adding to my previous statement, If you're talking "from the time you get off the plane to downtown", Skytrain will win every time (excepting 12:30a-5:15a when Skytrain stops).

For someone that 

- Knows YVR 

- Holds Nexus

- Comfortable with Skytrain

I would expect aircraft door open to Canada Place to be 1h15m 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, karylrocks said:

Looking for recommendations for the quickest way to get from the airport to the ship; arriving 3.5 hours before departure (cruise line recommends at least 3 hours). Taxi, shuttle, or Skytrain?

It seems as though you have a relatively short distance to travel to get here, but I will state and ask the obvious: is there ANY way you can do this earlier in the day? Looks like Alaska is on your bucket list. You may think you have enough time but if your flight is late for any reason or something else happens on either end, you're hooped. 😕

Edited by Langley Cruisers
  • Like 1

IMO.... you walk past the taxi line to get to the Skytrain ticket machines when you land.  If the taxi line is short... I like the taxi for door to door convenience without the luggage drag.  Sounds like you are arriving in the morning when traffic congestion is minimal.

If the taxi line is more a dozen people... then yes, it may be worth the hassle to try and figure out how to pay for a ticket from the vending machines.  Or be caught in a line where see a wall of people trying to figure out the ticket machines.

Taxi is a flat CAD$35 to the pier.  Canada Line is $9.25 on a weekday morning each.  If there's three of you travelling, the price is nearly the same.

I agree with pretty much everything above; as Portlanders even if you haven't used transit up here before I would hope you've occasionally taken MAX/streetcars at home, and SkyTrain ticket machines are better than those for ease of use. But if you're car driving commuter types who are not experienced transit users, a cab will be simpler - more than a few minutes wait though and SkyTrain will definitely be worth figuring out as it will save time end-to-end. Scott's given you ideal directions for the walking part of the trip. Walk-up Limo queue is another possibility - it's almost always 'hop right in' with no wait time, and even spending twice as much as a cab is a bargain if it actually saves you time!!!

The real issues though are the out-of-your-control elements - any delay on that flight and your cruise is at risk (please tell me it's a non-stop!), any problem getting through Immigration likewise, and I'm pretty sure even if you have travel insurance they will just chuckle and stamp your claim REFUSED as you have cut the margins so tight (best policy I've seen allows for 4 hours delay, 6 hours is also pretty common minimum amount, and at best you have only 3.5 so I'd pay the change fee for an earlier flight to 'insure' this trip if I were you).

There's a daily non-stop Air Canada flight at 7am PDX-YVR - that's the only one I'd consider booking for a same-day cruise...

12 hours ago, xlxo said:

Taxi is a flat CAD$35 to the pier....

I have read in other threads it is now $36, just a dollar increase.

2 hours ago, martincath said:

The real issues though are the out-of-your-control elements - any delay on that flight and your cruise is at risk (please tell me it's a non-stop!), any problem getting through Immigration likewise... There's a daily non-stop Air Canada flight at 7am PDX-YVR - that's the only one I'd consider booking for a same-day cruise...

^ Yes. Exactly my thoughts on all these points. OP, again, I read some of your other posts and see that this Alaska cruise is a big deal. Is there any way you'd consider switching that flight? Please? For me and for you and for everyone else here who is pulling for you to make it! 😄😄😄

• Like 1

I haven't booked any flights yet and there are nonstops on other airlines to choose from. Princess offers this one with a guarantee to get us onboard the ship if I book it through them. That could mean getting us to the next port which of course is not what I want. The main reason to book it though is to use my Alaska companion fare, but not worth it if cutting too close.

I am quite familiar with using transit and the machines in Portland. I tell you though the New York subway is ridiculous. Even the locals were having trouble getting those machines to work. But it was a breeze getting on the train from EWR to Penn Station with our luggage, although we couldn't figure out which direction we were exiting and walked half way around Madison Square Garden to get on track to our hotel. 😏

42 minutes ago, karylrocks said:

I haven't booked any flights yet and there are nonstops on other airlines to choose from. Princess offers this one with a guarantee to get us onboard the ship if I book it through them.

Check the wording of that 'guarantee' carefully - because they don't actually guarantee getting you to the ship! They guarantee 'best efforts' or similar weasel-wording...

There has been at least one report of a cruiseline 'taking the hit' and flying people up to Ketchikan from Vancouver, in breach of the PVSA and absorbing the fine (IIRC that was Princess actually, but there were circumstances the line felt they could weasel out of paying the PVSA violation fine by blaming terrible weather for delaying an inbound planeload of pax to YVR; if the weather is really bad such that a technical port stop in Victoria is impossible CBP have voided the fine for the entire passenger complement so there is precedent for 'acts of god' type stuff). But there have also been reports of them not doing so - and given the fines basically doubled a couple of years ago it's less likely they'll do it again, as CBP look very poorly on anyone choosing to violate the law when they have an option in the matter. If it was a reasonably foreseeable issue like a plane delay due to mechanical fault, stuff within control of the airline unlike weather, I believe that CBP deem that not a good enough excuse.

An individual who gets sick, has a family emergency etc. and has to leave the cruise early can quite easily get the fine voided on compassionate grounds, and short of arresting/detaining the passenger if someone just walks off the ship what can the vessel really do? But choosing to fly customers on and thus making a cruise unlawful for them is actively breaking the law, and risks a worst-case penalty of 'no more use of US waters for you, filthy foreign-flag vessel!!!!' rather than 'only' a ~$750pp fine so it's a big risk for any cruiseline to deliberately violate the PVSA...

Personally I'd use that Alaskan companion fare on a longer, more expensive flight anyway to maximize its value (PDX-YVR isn't as cheap as to SEA, but it's hardly the most expensive flight Alaska offers - maybe you could hit Hawaii or somewhere on the East Coast?); booking through Princess means they will route you on the least-expensive flight for them, probably an obscenely early one PDX-SEA then SEA-YVR arriving late morning up here. I'd definitely book the earliest possible nonstop with an airline that offers at least one additional flight that gets you here on time - and I'm pretty sure Air Canada checks off both 'most flights' and 'earliest flight' boxes on the PDX-YVR route (nonstops at least, we rarely fly given the modest drive time and convenience of having our car in Portland, but if we do have to fly there's no way we're flying that short a trip with a transfer!!!)