Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
oystersunset

Wine list

Since our last norwegian cruise, they’ve added an upgrade premium plus drink package.  Does anyone have a bottle wine list for this plan?

Also interested in this.  Primarily a wine drinker and trying to decide whether the upgrade is worth it and what the differences really are once on board.

3 hours ago, judgeender said:

Also interested in this.  Primarily a wine drinker and trying to decide whether the upgrade is worth it and what the differences really are once on board.

I'm in the fine wine business, and tend to be a "wine snob"....goes with the territory I guess, lol!

We got the Premium Plus (PPB) mainly because we had some OBC and it only cost us $145 out of pocket.  Besides the cost, the wines were definitely better than what they offered on the Premium Beverage Plan (PBP).  Besides the wine, which I'll get to, we also enjoy top shelf Bourbons.  The PBP included some decent spirits, but with the PPB, we were able to drink Woodford Reserve, Whistle Pig Rye, along with some other more expensive "libations".  We also were able to get bottled still and sparkling water wherever, and whenever.  

Now onto the wines....Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label NV.....sells for around $45-$50 retail.  It was listed for $99/btl and $34.95/glass.  Every night, we enjoyed a bottle at dinner.  Heck, every time I went through the Atrium on Breakaway, I had a glass!  We drank quite a few bottles of Diving Into Hampton Water Rose, which retails for over $25, on their list for like $79.  Also enjoyed the 91pt Lucente Super Tuscan, similar pricing to the Rose.  Simi Alexander Valley Cab on the list, as well as a nice Barolo (can't remember the producer), and a killer Cotes du Rhone and great Sancerre from Jolivet (IIRC).  You also were entitled to 40% off any wine by the bottle that was not included, and the prices were not completely out of line!  Dom was like $239, so with the 40% off, you're paying about $10 below cost (in NJ anyway).

Lastly, you get specialty coffee at dinner, cappuccino's and espresso's etc.  They even were nice enough to bring for my teenagers too!  Also, my wife and daughter went to Starbuck's on the ship, expecting to see the room charges, but they never showed up!  Don't know if that was a mistake, or an attribute to the PPB?  I have no clue to this day!

Bottom line, I think the PPB is COMPLETELY worth it, if you are a real wine drinker, like higher priced spirits, like bottled water and an espresso after dinner.  However, we booked a cruise from Venice to Montenegro, 4 Greek Isles and Czech Republic, so 6 ports in 7 days.  Not opting for the PPB, because we just won't have enough time on the ship to truly enjoy it.  We'll "struggle" at dinner with what's available, and if I feel like splurging for ONE bottle, I will....

Good luck with your decision, hope I was able to help or sway....Cheers!

We seriously considered it for our Baltic cruise next week but passed since for us it was only about the wine and what was available just wasnt worth it to us (although I do like Veuve) so I packed 8 bottles in one of our suitcases (pictured below...we got to Copenhagen today 🙂 ) and we'll just pay the corkage.

FB_IMG_1569533348337.jpg

Is there a current list of wines by the glass.  We’ll have the basic package on our upcoming TA. Also, didn’t realize corkage was available. What is the charge?  We haven’t sailed NCL for about 4 years,  no doubt there have been changes.