Anyone ever bring fishing gear on a cruise?

lidolovers

My son and I love to fish. We are going on a cruise in December to cococays, Nassau, Costa maya and Cozumel. I was wondering if anyone did any fishing excursions or fishing near the ports ?  We will have our own gear with us since we are staying in Florida to fish after the cruise. 

thanks !

We did Drift fishing in Cozumel years ago, cannot remember if it was a RC excursion or something we booked on our own. I do remember that we caught lots of fish. My son brought fishing gear with him to Bermuda a couple of years ago, security confiscated his needle nose pliers and returned them at the end of the cruise.

• Haha 1

I have brought fishing gear in the past. I would make sure your rods are in a case. Also I've had them flag the hooks. And had to go to the naughty room. But they let me keep them once they knew what they were.

We took fishing gear on a NCL cruise earlier this month, out of Port Canaveral.  The rod was the folding type, packed with clothing in checked luggage, no problem.  We were stopped by Security over some of the other gear that was in his backpack.  The agent said that he recognized wire cutters (no, it was the fish grabber), but wanted to know what was in the black case next to it.   I don’t think we even answered that specific question, just stated that it was fishing gear.  The security agent looking at the scanner told the other one, “Let it go.”   He wished us a good fishing trip, and we were on our way.

On 9/24/2019 at 5:46 PM, lidolovers said:

My son and I love to fish. We are going on a cruise in December to cococays, Nassau, Costa maya and Cozumel. I was wondering if anyone did any fishing excursions or fishing near the ports ?  We will have our own gear with us since we are staying in Florida to fish after the cruise. 

thanks !

Planning to troll fish off the back of the ship? 😁

27 minutes ago, biomedbob said:

It's easier to bring your ex-wife.  I wouldn't bother!

With the ex-wife or the fishing gear? 😓

Hah. We have telescopic rods and we will be fishing in Florida after the trip so the gear has to go with us.  I just figured maybe there are a few places to fish during the cruise when we stop for fun. I also don’t want to get thrown in a foreign prison For 30 years for fishing with no license so maybe I’ll just pack them away and leave them in the suitcases. 

Many years ago, we actually saw crew members fishing off the pier....this was way before the mega ships were around.

I watched and had a friendly conversation with the guys and they said they'll bring the fish back on board and cook them.

Hmmmm...so that gave me an idea.  I love to fish.  So on one of our cruises, I brought along my small telescopic pole and a few fishing stuff.  I usually found a nice fishing spot and had a great time.  Catch and release.

You got me thinking....Holy Moses!...I didn't even think of a license....I didn't have any!  PUN intended but had I been "caught, I'm not sure I would've been released".  (Things we'd do when we were young.) 😊