Cruise Critic Community
BrownEyedGirl686

Different Upgrade Question

So we received our upgrade email.  I am curious as to why we got the email.  The category that we can bid on is said to be ‘sold out’ when you search NCL’s website.  

So there really isn’t much of a point to even putting in a bid...or am I missing/not understanding something??

"Sold Out" can change at any time.  Folks in the "sold out" categories may bid on higher categories, or upgrade outright, and then when they move,  the "sold out" cabin becomes available.  

4 minutes ago, BrownEyedGirl686 said:

So we received our upgrade email.  I am curious as to why we got the email.  The category that we can bid on is said to be ‘sold out’ when you search NCL’s website.  

So there really isn’t much of a point to even putting in a bid...or am I missing/not understanding something??

Well, something may open up.   For example, people canceled, sometimes only days before sailing.  Or depending upon your category, it could happen due to a domino effect...one bidder moves up, freeing their cabin to another move up bidder, whose cabin is the available to yet another bidder, etc.  But, if you do not care to bid, then do not bid.

It costs nothing to bid (unless its accepted) , so what have you got to lose?

Stuff happens sometimes and cabins of all types free up at last minute sometimes.  Doesn't hurt at all to try!

The other reason the offer you the opportunity to bid is data mining, they take that information on what price you bid etc. and compile that information for future cruise algorithms 

6 hours ago, DinaS said:

"Sold Out" can change at any time.  Folks in the "sold out" categories may bid on higher categories, or upgrade outright, and then when they move,  the "sold out" cabin becomes available.  

That I understand but for this situation the sold out level is the highest so the only thing I can think is a last minute cancellation 

7 hours ago, BrownEyedGirl686 said:

In general, when upgrades are processed, everyone moves up. When they move up, rooms open in all cabin classes. 

In the case of the highest class being sold out, and that is your only bid option, you are bidding on a cancellation. We have cancelled week of cruise twice for various reasons. Made someone happy with an upgrade bid. 

3 hours ago, BrownEyedGirl686 said:

That I understand but for this situation the sold out level is the highest so the only thing I can think is a last minute cancellation 

Yeah, you’d be bidding for a potential cancellation.  Odds of that happening might be low, but bidding is free and easy. So, if you are interested in moving up if a vacancy develops, enter a bid.  If you are not interested, don’t.  Plenty of other people will bid, so if there is a late cancellation that goes to bidding, it will be snatched up.