Need help with questions about high speed train

Sun Lover

We will be flying into Venice for three days and staying (as of now) at the hotel San Luca in San Marco.  When we leave Venice, we want to take the train from Venice to Rome.  Does anyone know how far the train station is from this hotel and what would be the best way for us to get there?  Is this hotel in a good location? Also, can we check large bags on the train?  They would be way too big to lift onto an overhead bin. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

40 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

We will be flying into Venice for three days and staying (as of now) at the hotel San Luca in San Marco.  When we leave Venice, we want to take the train from Venice to Rome.  Does anyone know how far the train station is from this hotel and what would be the best way for us to get there?  Is this hotel in a good location? Also, can we check large bags on the train?  They would be way too big to lift onto an overhead bin. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

You can check large bags on the train - you need not put luggage overhead. There is an area for storage at the head of the carriage and there is also room behind your seat if your luggage isn't overly large. We carry cable locks and hook our bags together to minimize risk of theft. 

See the image below regarding the location of your hotel in relation to Santa Lucia (train station). You can take the water bus (vaporetto) from Rialto to the train station - there is usually some room for luggage on the vaporetto.  Luggage issues arise in Venice because of the many bridges to cross - it appears that you may have just one small bridge to cross (vap #2) or none (vap #1). Check out your location on Google Maps - it is walkable on the map.

Water taxi is also an option.

train to hotel.jpg

Venice is best enjoyed on foot & quite easy to navigate on your own - hope you enjoy your stay.

Edited by dogs4fun

34 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

You can check large bags on the train - you need not put luggage overhead. There is an area for storage at the head of the carriage and there is also room behind your seat if your luggage isn't overly large. We carry cable locks and hook our bags together to minimize risk of theft. 

Just to be fully clear, you can't check luggage in that you cannot hand it over to an agent to handle (as you can when traveling by plane). The luggage goes on the train with you, carried by you, and you are responsible for stowing it.

As dogs4fun says, there are places on each car to place large luggage that will not fit on the overhead rack. 

20 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

So as long as we take the luggage ourselves, would we be guaranteed there would be space to stow it?  Do you know if there are size restrictions on the luggage to be stowed?  Would there be an overhead rack to put small carryon bags?

We traveled from Rome to Florence last week on Italo with 2 large bags and 2 carry ons. My husband put the bags on the overhead racks because we wanted them in the car with us but there is space in between cars to store large bags as well. We loved the train. Also took it from Florence to Venice and back for a day trip.

On 9/25/2019 at 12:02 PM, euro cruiser said:

Trenitalia does offer luggage transport service, which may be worth it to you for the large bags: https://www.trenitalia.com/en/services/luggage_transportservices.html

The "easy luggage" is a door-to-door service and only works on Saturdays and Sundays for Venice and Rome.  They only say you will get your luggage by the next day.

There is a "porter" service that will help you with bags for a fee, but Venice doesn't have it.  

There is no guarantee that there will be  space at the end of the car or between your seat for your oversized luggage.   Yes, there is a overhead shelf (not like the airlines with closing bins) for small things.  I can actually put my big Osprey bag (28x14x14 - that's 28" from floor to top of handle) up there myself (it's never overstuffed) if I've brought that rather than my 21"-er.  Anything wider would be an issue.  

Travel around Europe does need a bit of self-sufficiency or your own Sherpa...

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

The "easy luggage" is a door-to-door service and only works on Saturdays and Sundays for Venice and Rome.  They only say you will get your luggage by the next day.

LOL - I never actually read the details in English, this is a translation error.  Venice and Rome are two of the five stations that offer the service seven days a week.  Actually, I guess their translation is grammatically correct, it's just misleading.   It's a lot clearer in the original Italian version:  https://www.trenitalia.com/it/offerte_e_servizi/il_servizio_portabagagliinstazione.html