Before I book the Edge...please reassure me!

Family of four (kids 18 and 19).  Parents have sailed Solstice and Millenium and we really enjoy Celebrity.  Have sailed Royal with the kids - now they want to try X too.

I'm debating the booking (because it's so darn expensive compared to other cruises we've taken), but the alternatives (Royal - Adventure of the Seas) and the new Sky Princess just don't appeal to me as much.  Looking at Jan. 12 eastern Caribbean itinerary.

So before I pull the trigger - reassure me that...

-  Pool scene is not a mess of blaring music and hairy chest contests?

-  Edge service is great - I assume so, since we've always had great service on X?

-  There is a peaceful adults only pool area...and is it fairly easy to get a seat or is it loaded with chair hogs?

-  That X has figured out my time dining and it's not too chaotic?  (Solstice class MTD was a nightmare but that was 4 years ago)

-  It should be fairly easy to book specialty restaurants on embarkation day?

-  There is live music in the evenings (we loved this about Solstice class)

Thanks everyone - i've read a lot of reviews but not many for Caribbean sailings.

Without your kids then I would strongly recommend the Edge. However I think with them they would have a far better time on Sky Princess as there will be far more aboard of their age or thereabouts.

As you don't fancy it and I presume you are paying for your kids to travel with you then they will just have to tough it out.

There was music at the pool, how loud it was depended upon where you were seated.  I have never seen a hairy chest contest on Celebrity.

Service was excellent on the Edge.

Speciality restaurants, particularly Fine Cut Steak House and Eden had very little availability the day we boarded.  We had purchased a dining package and  at FC and Eden only available times were 9 or later.

There was live music in the Grand Foyer but it is a noisy crowded area in the 6-8 timeframe. 

It sounds like Edge is right for you particularly since your kids are young adults..  We really enjoyed our cruise earlier this year.  Service was outstanding.  Some folks here are negative about the IV balconies and some love them.  Like other Celebrity ships it is pretty refined with no loud blaring announcements or belly-flop contests.  Music by the pool is not obnoxious.  The Martini Bar area has music playing and it is pretty busy and sometimes loud.  Eden area is quieter.  There is an area called The Club for shows, movies, music and dancing too.  Most will admit the food overall is better than other Celebrity ships and in particular the Oceanview Buffet is very good.  Very good selection of specialty dining.  Enjoy!

46 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Live music, like for dancing, or listening to while having a drink?  Neither was there when I sailed on Edge.

Really?  When did you sail.  That is not my experience.  We sailed in January.

3 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

Family of four (kids 18 and 19).  Parents have sailed Solstice and Millenium and we really enjoy Celebrity.  Have sailed Royal with the kids - now they want to try X too.

I'm debating the booking (because it's so darn expensive compared to other cruises we've taken), but the alternatives (Royal - Adventure of the Seas) and the new Sky Princess just don't appeal to me as much.  Looking at Jan. 12 eastern Caribbean itinerary.

-  Edge service is great - I assume so, since we've always had great service on X?

-  There is a peaceful adults only pool area...and is it fairly easy to get a seat or is it loaded with chair hogs?

-  That X has figured out my time dining and it's not too chaotic?  (Solstice class MTD was a nightmare but that was 4 years ago)

Thanks everyone - i've read a lot of reviews but not many for Caribbean sailings.

Having sailed multiple times on celebrity, royal and princess, I must say we really enjoyed the Edge.  Pool scene was great- not like a carnival cruise.  Service also excellent.  While we were in a sky suite, we did try the regular restaurants which were excellent- take the my time dining so you can try all of them.  It is like dining in a specialty restaurant everyday.  We always book specialty restaurants prior to the cruise- enjoyed le petite chef, the steak house, and the Italian restaurant- didn't enjoy Eden- didn't dine in the others either.  Yes they had live music.  Some people didn't like the high end shops- but we did- loved looking in Tiffany and the others.  No $10 tee shirts nor magnets- buy inexpensive items at the ports.

We have booked the Edge again for March 2020. I think you will enjoy the experience.  So many new and improved venues.

3 hours ago, Esprit said:

Without your kids then I would strongly recommend the Edge. However I think with them they would have a far better time on Sky Princess as there will be far more aboard of their age or thereabouts.

As you don't fancy it and I presume you are paying for your kids to travel with you then they will just have to tough it out.

My kids are funny - on vacation, they just hang with us, relax, and read.  No worries about making friends.

And yes, i'm paying and they will be grateful just to cruise!

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Live music, like for dancing, or listening to while having a drink?  Neither was there when I sailed on Edge.

I'm thinking of the Ensemble lounge that we so enjoyed on S-class.  Live music just to sit and have a drink by.  We loved that.

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

There was music at the pool, how loud it was depended upon where you were seated.  I have never seen a hairy chest contest on Celebrity.

Service was excellent on the Edge.

Speciality restaurants, particularly Fine Cut Steak House and Eden had very little availability the day we boarded.  We had purchased a dining package and  at FC and Eden only available times were 9 or later.

There was live music in the Grand Foyer but it is a noisy crowded area in the 6-8 timeframe. 

Good to know - I will definitely book dining beforehand, since we really want to try all the restaurants!  How soon before the cruise does dining open?

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

It sounds like Edge is right for you particularly since your kids are young adults..  We really enjoyed our cruise earlier this year.  Service was outstanding.  Some folks here are negative about the IV balconies and some love them.  Like other Celebrity ships it is pretty refined with no loud blaring announcements or belly-flop contests.  Music by the pool is not obnoxious.  The Martini Bar area has music playing and it is pretty busy and sometimes loud.  Eden area is quieter.  There is an area called The Club for shows, movies, music and dancing too.  Most will admit the food overall is better than other Celebrity ships and in particular the Oceanview Buffet is very good.  Very good selection of specialty dining.  Enjoy!

Good to know - the dining is a big deal for us while cruising!  We really loved the specialty dining on Allure, looks like Edge will have even that beat!

We will give the IV balcony a try for the novelty of it, although i enjoy a traditional balcony.

Edited by micmacmissy
5 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

Booked on Edge but haven't actually sailed yet - just checked out the pictures.

I think you most telling point is saying your kids want to try Celebrity too.

They are old enough to not care too much about organized activities - they are way more interested in how fast is the wifi, I would bet.

Edge has the 4 restaurant main dining, so you should be able to get Select?? Are you talking Jan 2020 or Jan 2021?

If you have traditional dining, you are assigned to one of the 4 MDRs. Many people have posted that you can get into  one of the other dining rooms to try it, by approaching the maitre d' after boarding, but you might not get to try all 4. We booked Edge in late July-early Aug for Feb 9, 2020 and were able to get Select Dining, and make reservations for all 4 of the MDRs that late, so you might be able to get Select even for Jan 2020. There wasn't a huge choice of reservation time, but we like to eat relatively early, so it wasn't a problem for us.

Those who have been on Edge will have to speak to booking specialties on embarkation. Our cruise is over Valentine's Day, so we booked a specialty for that night, figuring all the specialties would book up. We want to do Eden, and I've heard that it books up really fast, though usually not until after boarding, so we are debating whether or not to bite the bullet and book it ahead, get a 3 night dining package and try to book it ahead within the package or wait until boarding and do it first.

Edited by cangelmd
2 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

I'm thinking of the Ensemble lounge that we so enjoyed on S-class.  Live music just to sit and have a drink by.  We loved that.

There is an area called the Club... activities during the day like archery ( not sure if they stil do drones) ,  there's a bar , tables on 2 levels & music or other entertainment at night.  We hope to spend more time there next time.  State of the art theater is awesome..some decent shows, Eden is a nice space although the EDEN show is not our style.. the have music there in the afternoon and some nice puzzles and games,..

For the Select dining mdr plan, i'd suggest you   pre reserve on your cruise planner page,  the All acess tour is pricey but well worth it, and   a new  theater tour...you can pre book both through excursions...

The Rooftop area has music , movies and upcharge lunch and dinner...nice spot but can be windy and very sunny,,

Have a great time on EDGE!  We did...and liked the IV for its versatility and extra space

Edited by hcat

I am booked on that cruise as well. I would bring kids that age on the Edge for sure.  I'm not sure about all 4 people in one cabin, but maybe you are used to cruising all together or are booking two. 🙂

The 4 MDR Select Dining ( my time dining) system seems to be working well on the Edge. Most seem to be booking all restaurants ahead of time.

The Solarium is absolutely gorgeous on the Edge - it was moderately busy, but not full every time I went through it. The pool area did have guests vs officers pool volley ball one day, but didn't seem too rowdy otherwise.

if you have a specialty you really want to dine in (or maybe a special occasion), I would book ahead to get the date/time you want (unless you have a package and have to book onboard).

There are many options for live music and dancing on the Edge. The flyer below outlines the entertainment onboard.

EDGE_Entertainment-2.pdf

Here is some further dining info:

3 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

My kids are funny - on vacation, they just hang with us, relax, and read.  No worries about making friends.

And yes, i'm paying and they will be grateful just to cruise!

This is a tough age for cruising. Too old to participate in any of the older teen activities, too young to be in the lounges at night. My son was asked to leave the lounge (sitting with us, having a soda) every night at 10PM. 

4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I am booked on that cruise as well. I would bring kids that age on the Edge for sure.  I'm not sure about all 4 people in one cabin, but maybe you are used to cruising all together or are booking two. 🙂

4 people in one cabin is NO vacation.  We'll have two cabins!  And thanks for the link! 🙂

Edited by micmacmissy
19 minutes ago, micmacmissy said:

4 people in one cabin is NO vacation.  We'll have two cabins!  And thanks for the link! 🙂

The Edge, like any ship, cannot guarantee that the answers to your questions will be what you want to hear. Too many variables, including thousands of passengers that contribute to the atmosphere, ambience and your personal space for enjoyment. As regular X cruisers we have enjoyed all the ships on which we've sailed. Our Edge cruise in January of this year was no exception. Suffice it to say, if everything else is equal in your determining factors on which ship to choose, choose the Edge. She is regal yet down to earth, beautiful in a way that is different from her sister ships and eager to show you and your family what an enjoyable cruise vacation can be had by sailing on this new girl in town. Go and enjoy the exuberance of something new and exciting. 

21 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

We love the Ensemble lounge as well, particularly for dancing before and after dinner. We were very disappointed on our Edge cruise in February that there was no venue on the ship comparable to Ensemble. The foyer had music in the evening, but it was loud, crowded, and generally not danceable, with a tiny floor and folks walking back and forth to the martini bar. For this and other reasons, we will stick to the older ships and leave the Edge class to a younger demographic. 

21 hours ago, micmacmissy said:

Someone else was in an Infinite Veranda with 4 people, including 2 sons around 17-18. They had a great time, but I'm with you - I get agitated in a regular-sized cabin with just my DH, who seems to need to get around the bed at the exact time I do every time! 😉

4 hours ago, Mauidiver said:

If you like a real balcony, look at the SV category on Edge.

All booked, but i'm with you.  We had SV cabins on Millenium way back in 2013, and they were amazing!  And another aft cabin on Royal Independence of the Seas which was also incredible.  Love the aft!