Our last sailing on Crystal Serenity was a World Cruise and we had binoculars in our stateroom. On our previous sailings on Serenity I don't remember if binoculars were provided. Help.  Trying to keep packing as light as possible.

Binoculars are provided in all cabins on all cruises. If, for some reason, they are not in the room when you board, just ask your cabin attendant. We no longer bring our own personal set because they are now provided.

Rob

2 hours ago, ryndam said:

Binoculars are provided in all cabins on all cruises. If, for some reason, they are not in the room when you board, just ask your cabin attendant. We no longer bring our own personal set because they are now provided.

Rob

Hmmmmm, I don't have them in my current cabin and don't recall ever having them???????

Patty

Patty & Nancy - The standard rooms on Serenity have them - it’s a hangover from the NWP cruises. On Symphony we’ve found it’s a bit hit and miss and some entry rooms have a pair and sometimes they hold a few pair at reception that can be borrowed on request 

I guess that we have been fortunate to have binoculars in our room (not in PH categories) on every Serenity cruise for the past 3+ years or so. Apparently, based on other responses here, this is not a consistent guarantee. I wonder if it is noted in our profile (i.e. along with pillow preferences, fridge beverages, etc.) so that they always seem to be in our room on embarkation day?

Rob

Rob, that is my guess that it is in your profile.  You can ask the stewardess the next time you are on board if it is. 

drgigi, if you are not in a suite let me suggest you have your TA (or you could do this) write to on board guest services to see if they can place binoculars in your room and if they can if they can add it to your profile.

They can be reached via e-mail at:

obgs@crystalcruises.com

Keith

They were in our standard verandah cabin on the Serenity when we cruised from Amsterdam to Lisbon late July to mid August, after we sailed the Crystal Bach from Basel to Amsterdam.   My late review to come...after I make it through the tax deadlines being as I am "imcpa".

I have never come across a decent set of complimentary binocs ... they haven’t been looked after, and are probably not the optimal for personal viewing.

The ones the company supplied at sea had a lens that looked it had been cut from the bottom of a beer bottle 😀 They got abused and hammered.

I bought my own over 30 years ago,  (Nikon 7x50) and am still using them with excellent results. 

Personally, if having binocs is important to you then I would buy your own set. The compact ones are lightweight, and have very good optics. Look after them and they will last a lifetime.

16 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I don't want to derail this thread, but what is this profile you speak of? My husband prefers a very soft pillow, so if I can pre-request that, I sure will!

When people sail Crystal they keep a profile on the guests about certain items they might prefer or other issues including allergies.  

There are several pillow choices.  I would wait till you board the ship and when you meet with the stewardess you can ask what the options are.  They do include a soft pillow and there are plenty on the ship for each choice so no worries.

Keith

On 9/28/2019 at 10:50 AM, fyree39 said:

I don't want to derail this thread, but what is this profile you speak of? My husband prefers a very soft pillow, so if I can pre-request that, I sure will!

Your room stewardess will make note of any special requests you may make during the cruise and these go on your guest record for future reference. As an example, back in pre-all-inclusive days, we liked to have our ice bucket re-filled around 4:00 PM for our "getting ready for dinner" cocktails, and 30+ cruises later, it still gets done. On Esprit a few years ago the Dining Manager noted I like oatmeal-raisin cookies, so now, ocean or river, a plate of cookies is usually in the room when we arrive. The system is not foolproof, and we periodically review the list with our stewardess/butler to remove things that we no longer require or may have gotten on the list in error.

Interesting about the guest profile list. Every time we have cruised we have sent an email to OBGS about the pillows we would like in our room. Each time, bar once, they have never had them and we have had to ask the room stewardess to change them. We always ask our room stewardess not to bother filling the ice bucket daily and we need to do this each time we have cruised. Not sure what's gone wrong with our list but one doesn't appear to exist for us.

I wonder if the preference list is more carefully maintained and followed in cabins with a butler than without.  We usually stay in C1 or C2, but have 19 milestones on Crystal's ocean cruises.  So far nothing (pillows requests and our preferred soft drinks) has ever been remembered from one cruise to the next.  Even when our TA sends an advance request for what beverages we want stocked, they are not there until after we request them to the stewardess on board.  I remain hopeful that the NEXT time they will be.  🙂

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I wonder if the preference list is more carefully maintained and followed in cabins with a butler than without.  We usually stay in C1 or C2, but have 19 milestones on Crystal's ocean cruises.  So far nothing (pillows requests and our preferred soft drinks) has ever been remembered from one cruise to the next.  Even when our TA sends an advance request for what beverages we want stocked, they are not there until after we request them to the stewardess on board.  I remain hopeful that the NEXT time they will be.  🙂

Actually until the last couple of years, maybe our last five cruises, all of our cruises were in standard balcony cabins and our experience was always the same. Mind you, most of the stuff on our profile is pretty "pedestrian" as we are usually happy with the standard "fittings" in the room and the fridge. In our experience, the stewardess has the list with her on Day 1, so ask to go over it with her to make sure everything you need/want is accounted for. Personally, we have never had much success with OBGS so I don't even bother with them anymore.  I do agree that once you move up to PH/PS with a butler there is a greater attention to detail, but then, that is the butler's job!

Let me begin by saying I have never asked what is in our profile but I do know some items are in there because when we board and meet the stewardess they might have already taken care of the items or if I or Anne Marie mention an item to them they often say they know about it and will take care of it.    Also on occasion they might say we will be doing a particular item and we might say oh no need to do that recognizing it was something awhile ago we used to prefer but no longer need it done.

When it comes to the pillows as best I know this is not in our profile as Anne Marie discusses this with the stewardess when we meet her the first day.    For me I take any pillow but for her she likes to try several of them out before deciding on the "winner".  LOL.

I suspect that whether or not something is in your profile depends if the person on board the ship added it to the profile.  If they pick up on the item being something you regularly request I suspect they would add it to the profile along with certain other comments such as if someone was allergic to certain items.  If you would like something  added to your profile just ask when you are on-board if they can do this for you.

The one reason I know that some items are in our profile is a few years back making a special request to on board guest services for some product and also noting if they could make note a few other items.  When they responded to me about the product they noted that the other items were already in our profile so the ship knows about them.

What room you are in should not be an issue.  In suites there are some items which a butler takes care of which in a standard room the stewardess would take care of so really makes no difference unless you believe the butler is more apt than the stewardess to update your profile.  I don't believe that is the case.   

Before I realized the items are in the profile I would just print out a short list of items and give it to the stewardess when we boarded and now I don't do that.

I suspect another factor  (this is conjecture on my part) whether or not the person looked at your profile ahead of time.  

As to On-Board Guest Services they have been very helpful to us in the past.  When we are on for a very long time there are a few selected items we request and they have coordinated them for us.    When we are on for far less time we either make no requests or just a request for one item.  In general, regardless of length of cruise there are very few items we request.

Keith