Symphony Live, September 28th to October 5th - Now watch me Sip, Now watch me Lay Lay

A&L_Ont

Ola beaches. I’m Bach, with two Mexican ports while sailing on Symphony.... see what I did there? LOL

With almost a 3 week hiatus after our Hurricane Dorian extended sailing, Lisa and I are back.  We fly Friday and cruise Saturday.  More cruise details tomorrow.

• Like 6

So what could we have done in the last 18 days?  A fair amount is the answer.   Owen has finished all his hockey tryouts for the Rep team, and for the first time ever he made the team.  Three games so far and he has 2 goals.  No wins yet, but it is early in the season. 

This fall they are also doing the baseball tryouts for next spring. Not exactly sure how it’s going to go, due to “politics”, but he has made the first round of cuts.  He should make it but you never know.  The final tryout is Sunday and grandma Sharon is taking him.  

This Saturday we spent 2.5 hours on the field to return to the arena 1 hour later for a hockey game.  And yes, for those who don't know, that’s arena snow, not remnants of a melted igloo.

5F57C3E3-9C06-40FD-88CD-6644E240F0A2.thumb.jpeg.5962d9af223d142789c36410119677db.jpeg

In the meantime he has been busy at school.  He also represented his school yesterday at soccer, with their team coming in second place out of 6 teams. He also just got home from school today and informed us that he was voted to Student Council.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Lisa, she’s ready for a holiday. She has been staying busy as chief chauffeur to the O-man. For the cruise she has downloaded the shows Dead to Me and The Ranch.  There might also be few dozen ebooks ready for by the pool.   

And then there is Lucy.... what would you expect but more of the same from her.

1D7BAA36-7EE6-40EE-A811-8B56FDF97AC2.thumb.jpeg.597ade663c361104ae2eb37d7d923a51.jpeg

• Like 14

I too have been busy.

I’m second in command in the car service world, over and above work. I also did a cruise and Concours Car Show 2 weeks ago.  We have been involved for 7 years with this show that raises funds for a hospital in Toronto and a local hospital in SW Ontario.  It is held on the 18 fairway at a prestigious golf course and the show has been referred to as the Pebble Beach of Canada. It's the most fun I've ever had on a gold course. Fellow CC member Ourusualbeach has attended a few times and can attest that is possibly the best show of this variety in Canada.

I have taken 4 different cars over 7 years and have always shown well. This year I competed in the Supercar Class.  On the 200 mile drive up Friday, most of it was in the rain.  It just meant more cleaning on Saturday for me. 

5E643D45-7625-4F8A-88D1-08AA9AB696F9.thumb.jpeg.c9df18dd99a70d257aa75ce43a9306e2.jpeg

I also had a 20 minute stop by what Owen calls the PoPo.  Obviously not for speeding but to go through my paperwork and more likely to just check out the car.  It took 2 cruisers after all. Just so you know, I didn’t get a participation award. 

6E3557CB-7BF8-4A92-AB96-2631EF800B9D.thumb.jpeg.74e2faf6573b4d49d6acb543d93afa5a.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

The next day which was Saturday there was the 100 mile tour.  We had a few stops, with one being at a local airport for lunch. A small Russian plane landed and the pilot joined us for lunch. Though I better add that the pilot wasn’t seeking Diplomatic Immunity, as he was a Canuck. 

In this photo you can see the pilot in the black jumpsuit talking to a man in the cockpit.  

5475379F-1568-4EDD-9D10-666D1A02100D.thumb.jpeg.b64145b1d1d7d451210bad8d38972f57.jpeg

The man sitting in the cockpit is Chris Hadfield, a Canadian Astronaut, who at one time was the Commander of the international Space Station.  He had his baby T-Bird on display this year.  Chris also had a surprise in store for us at the opening gala later that night. 

805DD9F1-8EEF-48E3-A925-19B83595893E.thumb.jpeg.510f2ca5cd092e7f7ba08017bd076b82.jpeg

The clouds were amazing that day, and the weather was great for a cruise.  

3F4C9743-3790-44A4-A48A-CBE367F3A1A5.thumb.jpeg.7fecbbdcd00f5b35a7ce9ecc2f7a3dfa.jpeg

E3B770A8-F048-4060-A305-06A70A66DCD2.thumb.jpeg.55f007efda7dd116abe407291c1e71d5.jpeg

• Like 7

So when we returned to the show location, there was a flight show put on by the pilot of the plane. 

I found out later that night, at the Gala Dinner, is that the pilot is 85 years old. He sure didn’t look it at lunch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After the dinner they had a fundraising auction.  Then there was the surprise that we didn’t know was coming.  Chris Hadfield was going to sing a song and then they were going to auction his signed guitar.  For those of you who are Canadian you already know what song he was going to sing.  For those who aren’t, he sang David Bowie’s Space Oddity.  I only recorded a bit of it but here it is.

His last time on the Space Station he recorded his version of it and he spoke to us about relationship with Bowie. He said as a kid, Bowie wanted to go to space. It was a pretty cool moment. If you have time to spare, here is his version from space.  

• Like 10

Lisa and Owen are headed back from his hockey dry land training.

Sharon is staying overnight and she just arrived here with a hitchhiker.  Picked her up on the way over from her house.

92BFB904-3370-46D4-B8C0-6364616D879B.thumb.jpeg.4ea46f8cbeb45a91e1e1596d1d738c85.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

What's your itinerary?

Supposed to be western. 

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Looks like the rain didn’t dampen the weekend.  Toby was asking if you took a car up this year.  Looking forward to the rest.

Thanks Ken.  The best is yet to come from the weekend.  

2 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

So excited to have you back. You have already got us on tender hooks.

mmm, Hooked.  I might try that this week on Symphony.  And thanks. 

Looking forward to what I’m sure will be a fab review once again.

Neat car show and entertainment by our famous astronaut.

So you have me stumped, I don’t know what kind of car you brought to the show (pardon my ignorance).  I’m sorry if it’s a rare collector car worth a fortune that most people would know.  I always considered myself a female car buff but I guess now I really have to get rid of that thought.

Wishing you and Lisa a great cruise and safe travels.

Congratulations to Owen.

That Lucy is something else!  She is also adorable.

Sunday was show day.  We had some light rain mid-morning, and sun at the end of the day. The sunrise on the field at 6am was glorious.  

5195B545-4735-4112-8AD2-E99D7685B3E6.thumb.jpeg.a2f71a3ca8c4bbaa157b11bf390d5b79.jpeg

At the end of the day I took first in my class.  I also took first with the Hagerty Kids who judged ten cars for various classes. To me this was the best award, the kids are the future in the car world.  Their judging is not as stringent as the real judges.  I fielded questions like, do you do burnouts and did the car come in that colour?  I answered their questions and along they went. 

2B37F302-115E-459F-928A-A773FF856F09.thumb.jpeg.6fd20dc74a20a7fb32aa72d267163319.jpeg

These judges are a bit more serious.

2A1689DD-8661-4450-B687-755A35ED46FC.thumb.jpeg.37af1b2cb08c7500c03fa10c83860cd6.jpeg

The presentation with the Hagerty Kid Judges. 

CB745E02-D5AE-4248-99F6-239139572453.thumb.jpeg.16f1b202e334eb36495e024ddbf0633d.jpeg

Afterwards it was literally strawberries and champagne on the 9th fairway, while the judges were picking Best of Show from all the classes.  I clean up, but not that well. LOL 

I did have a little haul of my own though.  

B098F9D9-1496-4490-8BF1-647750BDFF08.thumb.jpeg.de654be45ace8d2009cbbe3884819542.jpeg

The thing I like the most about the show is “we” are positive enablers over the weekend.  Approximately 85 cars come from across North America to bring tens of thousands of guests to an event to raise money for local hospitals.

If you ever have a chance to go to a Concours, go.  You will find it interesting, informative and fun.  You will see cars that you will never see anywhere again and be a part of something interesting and unique. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 8

48 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

What is the car in your avitar?

2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca.  In plain speak a Special Mustang. 

34 minutes ago, #55worktoplay said:

Looking forward to what I’m sure will be a fab review once again.

Neat car show and entertainment by our famous astronaut.

So you have me stumped, I don’t know what kind of car you brought to the show (pardon my ignorance).  I’m sorry if it’s a rare collector car worth a fortune that most people would know.  I always considered myself a female car buff but I guess now I really have to get rid of that thought.

Wishing you and Lisa a great cruise and safe travels.

Congratulations to Owen.

That Lucy is something else!  She is also adorable.

Thanks worktoplay. Your comments are all good. As for the car, it’s a 2006 Ford GT in the Heritage Edition colours. The GT was made in 2005/06 and it was made as a tribute to the GT40 that beat Ferrari in the 60s in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.  This fall there is a movie coming out with Matt Damon called “Ford VS Ferrari” which documents the history and the battle between the two racing teams.  

This model was only made in 2006 with only 343 made in this finish. Just over 4,000 in total were made for both years. A little bit of info, the car is 44” high.  Basically you butt is inches above the ground. It can go zero to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds and 186 mph in 44 seconds. Just stats I can share.  I know about the first one but not so much about the second one. 

No traction control, no ABS, and 550 HP of blown power. Tactile and sensory; driving in the raw form.

You know your name is kind of like me...  work to play.

Unfortunately there were no photo shoots outside my office window these past few weeks.  Work was not as much fun, but I’m not sure when the next model shoot will happen. 🤔

4548508E-2F81-4D96-82BA-6D554018E7D6.thumb.jpeg.ff89792eacc244931e691a9ac431ea5e.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

Andrew  welcome back. Long time with out an update. 😜

First of all congratulations on Owen’s many accomplishments. I know you and Lisa are so proud. 

I see when your not cruising the seas your cruising on land for great causes. 

Love the cars.   

Speaking of cars. My DH surprised me with yet another retirement gift. Yup 

he owns the 1966 GTO, and I am blessed with the 2006. 

Yup had it on the freeway today and had it upto 45 mph.   😀. Yup she is going to take time to get used to. 

Anyway. Cannot wait to follow your adventures. 

Safe travels. 

Our cars posted. 

F9E2F430-037B-4BF7-A005-0CF0D3AB827A.jpeg

47B36C55-57EB-4C2A-B476-44B1E53878FD.png

• Like 2

Well now I know, I kind of knew it had to be a rare car but to guess it was a Ford, never!  It is very nice, now I will read up on it.  

Oh ya I definitely work to play, and it seems I struggle to get enough of both but I enjoy trying.  I work too much and not enough play.  The rewards are coming I turned retirement age this year and probably should retire but I’m afraid of not having enough to sustain the “play”.  Hubby is retiring in Jan so he can wait a few years for me.  He built a Custom golf cart last winter and he did a great job on it  so I am encouraging him to built some more for his retirement job 😊. He is not too kean but I will convince him soon enough.

While I was away on the car weekend, someone there was kind enough to give me a cold.

It’s now 9 days later and this viral infection is still kicking my butt. My doctor said, there’s nothing he can do so suck it up.  Top that off with a trip to my dentist. My next favourite person, too which they discovered a cracked cavity from a previous filling. Nothing like laying back in that chair with post nasal drip. Yuck. I guess you could say I’ve been practicing for the cruise by doing shots of NyQuil.  

This cruise you can... Watch me Sip NyQuil, and Watch me Lay Lay... by the pool. I’m not hooked on Sizzurp, at least not yet.  Don’t worry though, the fat ankle pills are packed so it’s all good.

• Haha 1

I love that Ford GT. I used to dream about getting sone when I was younger and saw one for sale in my "Road and Track ." I grew up with my dad having a Porsche 911T Targa. He was a member of the Porsche club of America and we entered our car in several Concours d' Elegance. I remember cleaning the wheels with toothbrushes. It was a lot of work. Looking forward to following along. I'm interested in knowing what you think of Symphony. Cheers and have a great cruise.

Greg

29 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

thanks.  my daily ride is a 2013 GT convertible. I was hoping it is a Blue Oval.

I love them all, even though I have a preference to the blue oval. 

26 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Andrew  welcome back. Long time with out an update. 😜

First of all congratulations on Owen’s many accomplishments. I know you and Lisa are so proud. 

I see when your not cruising the seas your cruising on land for great causes. 

Love the cars.   

Love the 66 Goat, and triple black as well.  The 2006 is also a hot number.  The old ones just don’t handle the same way as the new ones. Some are like driving a couch, and others are like riding lighting. 

• Like 1